Thread: Cyclone Winston in Fiji

Default Cyclone Winston in Fiji

As a reminder of the power of storms in the tropics, you can check out news about Cyclone Winston in Fiji. One short internet article is on Slate (22 February 2016) "Fiji after Cyclone Winston" by Eric Holthaus www.slate.com. 21 fatalities reported, the pictures of damage speak for themselves.

I have only visited Fiji as a tourist, but the scenes of damage look very familiar to me. Pacific Islanders are tough and resilient, but right now Fiji can use all the help it cn get. I hope the village and national social structure remains intact and helps them recover.

More recent reports say as many as 42 fatalities from the storm. a tragedy for Fiji.

I would imagine there are not many place to hide out there......

I have always thought I would rather head there rather the Alaska to "survive" with my B-AZZ knife.....
    Not sure now.....Not that big and they want you to have a way to support your self if you move there.....(looked into it a bit)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have not seen any reports of more than 42 deaths from Cyclone Winston, but pictures and reports show a lot of damage with many homes destroyed. I do not mean to make light of the situation, but I hope the Fijians can go back one or two generations and remember that it is possible to live without electric power lines, television and the internet. I lived in a Samoan village, and I can remember cooking on a kerosene stove, reading by kerosene lamps and listening to news broadcasts from a battery-powered AM radio. For the short term, people affected by the cyclone can probably do the same.