Thread: break open accuracy

Default break open accuracy

It is all your fault Hunter and KYRS. You guys got me looking, and as I was checking some out at Sportsmans Wharehouse the other day, a question popped up. What is inherently more accurate, a break open or a bolt gun? For a bolt action, once you take away the variables of the shooter (number one variable to accuracy), and finding the right round for that particular barrel, you are left with barrel harmonics and head space. If you put a very precise barrel on a SS, can you get it more accurate than a bolt?

Just curious. I can't really see past 300 yards anyways, so I really don't need a "tack driver". 10" diameter at 300 yards is perfectly fine with me.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I can only give my own experiences and the "theory" behind most situations.

I have a break open Rossi in .223 (cost $200), as well as a little Savage Edge in .223(cost $350w/scope) and the AR in both pistol, carbine and heavy barrel versions (cost all over the place starting at $325).

The Savage Edge gives the best accuracy results but I get that performance using percussion reloads. We are talking 3/4"@100yards. Half inch on occasion. I have reworked the stock, action and trigger and it has a 4-16x50 scope.

The SS has given me 1 1/2"@100 yards using the same load as the Savage and has done just as well with Wolf steel case, which leads me to believe that is the limit of its performance no matter what ammo is run through it. And I have to admit that that is adequate for most needs. It is topped with a cheap Tasco 3-9 and still has the rough and tough shotgun trigger.

I have the SS zeroed for cast lead bullets running about 1800fps and it is holding 1"@50 yards and has been my .22lr replacement rifle during the "shortage". I like the extra punch of the down loaded .223 and only use the .22lr as a mouse rifle now.

My AR rifles will shoot the same reload as the Savage into a hair over an inch at 100. They will shoot Wolf into about 1 1/2", which I feel is about as good as the Wolf will do since that is what it does out of the Savage or the Rossi as well.

I could probably get better results out of the ARs if I tailored a round to each individual rifle, but I did not buy the AR rifles as target shooters. All the AR units have standard triggers, which also limits their accuracy potential. I have actually been pleased with the accuracy of the ARs I am using since they are not chrome lined or precision barrels or anything but normal production run uppers with my Anderson stripped lowers.

BTW, the 7 1/2" AR pistol gets about 1 1/2@50 yards using a reflex sight with a 3moa dot using the Wolf. If I had a scope on it I could do better, but would defeat a big part of why the pistol is useful. I could probably match the rifle results if I had a stock on that pistol, but it is not worth the $200 tax stamp to find out.

I also have an AK that will match the performance of the ARs using the Wolf steel case. It may be that Wolf steel case ammo is simply 1 1/2" ammo in any caliber or form!

The bolt action still rules the roost as the accuracy winner in my book, and in other folks minds too. They are still the gun chosen by most for precision long range shooting, be that hunting, target or tactical applications.

It used to be that no one would consider a semi-auto as an accuracy platform, but those days have changed as the technology has improved. You can make an AR shoot almost as good as a bolt gun but it takes a world of work, lots of cash ($800-$1200) and every trick in the book to shrink accuracy from 1 1/2" down to less than 1".

A single shot platform where the receiver and barrel are separate units, or where the fore end and butt stock are separated, is too much influenced by outside forces to meet the accuracy of either of the other forms. That barrel hanging out there is subject to any pressure placed on it from any angle and there is no way to isolate the harmonics of that force. BUT IT IS STILL ADEQUITE FOR MOST USES.

I also have other rifle calibers in the SS action and some do slightly better and some do worse. I was jut using the .223 as an example because I have that caliber in all three platforms.

That's my story and I'm sticking too it!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-23-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My Ruger Model 77 7mm mag shoots 150 gr Cor-locs 3/4 in at 100 yds......It's sister M77 in .270 w/130 gr Cor-loc's, the same.
    The H&R Handi .270 130 gr will be 1-to 1-1/2 same ammo.

Nod goes to bolt gun as Kyrat stated......all one piece receiver and barrel at least screwed together solid.
    SS can be altered with a forearm screw to tight or poor fit on barrel.....mine was factory fitted.

SS short barrels 22" vs 24 or 26 on the bolt guns.
    SS cheaper so trigger pull is heavier unless messed with...
    These bolt guns were and still are 3 times the cost.

But 2 deer fell w/one shot DRT at 100 plus yds, another at 60 yds. DRT and are........Handy.

Out west, for long range 300+ yds. guns are 7 mm mag, and .300 WSM both bolt guns.
    Ruger .270 belongs to the nephew now.....

Anything else I have no doubt the Handi will preform with proper sighting in and attention to details.

Have no experience with the newer lower end Savage, Ruger, Mossberg, Remington....though the .300 WSM is a Weatherby Vanguard the lower end offering....actually a Howa with Rem 700 adjustable trigger group...I'm told.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for the replies. I guess the stock is the number one factor. I am sure the receiver not matching as well as a bolt is also a factor.

One thing for military applications, a bolt is better than a SS. If you are laying in the grass trying not to be seen while reloading, opening a bolt while not moving is probably easier than breaking open the stock to put another round in the chamber.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I knew one guy that had outstanding luck with other than a bolt rifle and that was George Herron.(the custom knife maker) He took a Ruger No 1 in 22 Hornet and made that thing shoot 3/8" at 100 yards. Best shooting Hornet I ever saw. Unfortunately he died suddenly before I was going to watch him rework one.

George was best known for his knives but his first love was guns and shooting and he was outstanding at both.
    NRA Life Member since 1972. Distinguished High Power Rifle, Distinguished Smallbore Prone US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams,(2) US Palma Trophy Individual Match wins, Centenary Trophy, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted testing for US Army Test and Evaluation Command, Army Material Systems Analysis Activity and US Marine Corps. Army Sniper Rifle consultant. Test& evaluation of Small Arms, at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

The Ruger is not a bolt gun, but is a one piece receiver same as a bolt gun, pretty stable platform.
    I always considered them as being an accurate rifle.

So I would guess it would be easier to eliminate the variables, then say, a break open, auto loader, lever or pump.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27