Thread: Bee Tree

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Bee Tree

How many folks here have encountered a hive of wild bees outside the urban environment?

I know Crash has talked about moving swarms in the past as part of his job, but I was wondering about the frequency of encounters in the wild.

I have never encountered a wild hive myself.

I know from my historical studies that the settlers and early hunters used to follow bees to their hives whenever possible and the harvested honey and wax was a valuable commodity on the frontier.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Yes, many years ago we found a bee tree on my uncles farm. We waited until a very cold winter day and then cut the tree down and harvested the honey. We still used a smoker to tranquilize the bees although the cold took care of that pretty quickly. As I recall, we got two turkey roasting pans of honey comb that we processed for the honey.
    Geezer Squad #2

I found one while deer hunting on paper company land back in the 1980's....

They own huge tracks of land and have turned them into pine plantations.

It was a early in the fall season and the bees were really working to fill up an old hollow oak snag.

Didn't do anything with it but thought about a visit during the winter....never got back there.

Following year I found that location clear cut......must have cut it over the winter...that tree was gone.

I do watch on warm day in spring and fall, but haven't seen another in the wild.
    Have seen bees....but wild hives are not in white boxes.

Was at a friends wood working shop (business)....weather was threatening big storm....saw a stream of bees heading into a couple of hole in the eaves.
    He called a bee guy, and he came over got the hive....emptied some honey, but a lot of it was nasty....so just cleaned it out.

I though these were yellow jacket hornets at first....but were honey bees.

A lot of hives have died out and in short supply..... I'm thinking found wild hives are at a premium.....?

Will continue to watch for them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

In my neck of the woods the bear beat you to it everytime.

There's been a few bee trees around my area, darn few. There's a book by James Fenimore Cooper called The Bee Hunter, been wanting to read it.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The "long hunters" were famous for hunting bee hives. They used a small box with a sliding lid to capture a honey bee using some kind of sweet as bait.

When they released the bee it would make a bee-line for the hive and they would follow the line to find the hive.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As the area around "The Place" is famous for orchards......most bees head for the white boxes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

bee lining works pretty good, a little blue chalk to dab on the bee when she is in the box helps to keep a eye on it and when it comes back for more bait it can be identified.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The wild or feral hives are still doing fine. It has been mostly the managed hives that have suffered from CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder). They still aren't 100% sure of the cause, but I believe a lot of it is from the extreme stresses placed on the commercial hives.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We ran across a live oak with a hive in it at Dinner Island last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    We ran across a live oak with a hive in it at Dinner Island last spring.
    Here is the crappy video

https://youtu.be/gPxefrI9BB8