Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folding 22 as a survival tool Pro VS Cons...

Thanks....was just getting plain annoying........Sheesh.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think it might have been a good reality check to keep us on track with sensible views of our equipment and the purposes we modify that equipment to meet.

I was afraid to tell the guy that I already owned everything he was talking about for fear he would decide I was his buddy and agreed with him!

Lost in the woods is not the same as fighting a "one man against the world" war in the woods.

Is it safe to use the word "shotgun" again?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-05-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Dang it, he didn't get to see my silenced luminous pony!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Well, I was still waiting to find out what the rented sat phone was for...

And I think he only had 2 guns....AR .22 and a .380......cause that all he kept bringing up......Poor thing.

For some, the first sign of spring is a robin, or maybe a hint of green grass peeping through the still melting snow. For others, it's the first flower, or even the sap running in a sugar bush.

For wilderness survival forum members, however, the first sign of spring is a sudden influx of nutbars who want to talk about their ar .22, brag about how prepared they for shtf, and generally show everybody that they are schlitzy the wonder survivalist.

Truly, it is a magical time.

Darn.... I guess no pics of the guns with a box of cheerios!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Not this time, but I can take one of my leatherman and a bin of oatmeal if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    Not this time, but I can take one of my leatherman and a bin of oatmeal if it helps.
    Lol. I am sure that was about all the guy really had too!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I gottcha covered. Honey NUT even.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

This may or may not have anything to do with this thread but has anyone ever noticed that crazy people always think everyone else is crazy? I mean this taint guy has 70 posts in 3 days he's gotta be spewing "wise insightful knowledge" from every orifice of his body or at least one of them. I mean I say I'm full of BS, what did they fill him with. O and thank you 1stimestar for the pic's . lmfao.

It's a case of late season cabin fever. Being stuck in mom's basement all winter does that. I think the only thing this guy had that was silent and luminous were probably his farts.

Great pic, 1st. Just perfect! That's the kind of guy that would take a handgun to breakfast for fear the Honey Nut Bee might need an eye shot.

Lol. Thanks 1st!

Well, they don't put revolvers as prizes like that in our Cheerios around here.
    Just 27 box tops? ....
    Y'all must be tough In Alaska?

Y'know what would make that revolver even better, 1st? Luminous sights. For when you're eating your cereal in the woods and the bad guys come.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I previously posted about winning a .22LR suppressor. I now have the official stamp from the NFA, so I am good to go. Nice thing about suppressors is that the suppressor is what is licensed, not the firearm. I can put the suppressor on any firearm of the appropriate caliber, once it is threaded. I have a Ruger 45/22 with a threaded bbl, so I am good to go. I am thinking/deliberating about buying a Ruger Take down 10/22 with a threaded bbl and/or getting the bbl of my 77/22 shortened and threaded. The second option would be better for hunting. Michigan just made suppressors legal for hunting!!! I have also purchased a .308 caliber suppressor and am waiting for the NFA approval. I just happens that I own a Ruger Frontier bolt action in .308 Win that has a muzzle break that screws on the bbl. All I will need to do is screw off the muzzle break and screw on the suppressor. This will be great when hunting out of my ground blind, all though it is a case of locking the door after the horse has been stolen (ie: I am already hearing inparied)
    Geezer Squad #2

Florida also allows hunting with a suppressor. In many countries in Europe hunting with a suppressor is encouraged and suppressors can be bought over the counter.

there are multiple caliber suppressors on the market. Also, you can use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller caliber barrel as long as the threads are the same. So, if you have a .45 and the threads match the barrels of your .40 or 9mm you can use the same suppressor. Stick to the type of cartridge (rim-fire, center-fire handgun, center-fire rifle) of equal or lesser caliber and pressure is fine.

We need a mouth suppressor for some of our new members, do they make those? And how much pressure will they handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    We need a mouth suppressor for some of our new members, do they make those? And how much pressure will they handle?

I don't think one would have held up to Taint, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I thought that was my new screen name.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm not even sure what a "survival rifle" is anymore. For personal protection I can't imagine it doing much good in a backpack. I guess you're supposed to know two minutes ahead of time that you're going to be attacked? Threats can come up on you just as quickly in the woods as they can at an urban ATM machine. If you're looking to protect yourself from a mountain lion or bear it had better be in your hand already when you're attacked! Those critters move quickly and stealthily. Year back a photographer was shooting pics of a mama bear and cubs. It was a little eerie looking at the pics; the bear kept getting closer in the pics. At some point the guy realized he was in trouble but it was too late- his mauled corpse was found with a cocked but unfired .44 Mag revolver nearby. He had time to cock it but not enough to pull the trigger. Big cats will be upon you well before you even know they're nearby. If you run across a narcotrafficer or wilderness drug lab those folks probably won't wait patiently for you to dig a rifle out of your pack.

If you do get it out then having your rifle in .22 LR isn't the best idea. Not a lot of stopping power or range. Another big issue is that .22 LR through autos isn't all that reliable. They tend to have a lot feeding and reliability issue compared to centerfire rounds.

If you mean to use it for subsistence hunting then a .22 would be better than nothing. It's not easy to take big game with .22 rimfire but obviously it has been a lot. My dad used to say that the .22LR probably killed more deer than every other round combined. I have no idea if that's true but it wouldn't be surprising. Personally I'd feel better with something larger but to be honest the only firearms I carry in the woods (if I'm not hunting) are my sidearms, normally either an HK P30S, HK USPf9 or HK VP9. Not ideal at all for hunting but pretty handy to have for protection against two legged varmints.