Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding 22 as a survival tool Pro VS Cons...

Default Folding 22 as a survival tool Pro VS Cons...

Deep in a thread a member discussed adding a 22 folding Keltec rifle to a pack.
    348330_03_kel_tec_su_16a_folding_rifle_5_640.jpg

I can see the advantage of small game & personal safety. But I can see disadvantages too.Weight vs Function. I have shot 22 before but when it comes to small game other than rabbits, a scope is also a need.

As a group would you want one or is there something better, for a pack.

So much folks want to bring in a pack - is this one item too much?

how much ammo would you pack? 10-50 bullets.... Keep in mind I am only asking in a survival context.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I suppose it depends on where you are. Where I am a 12 gauge shotgun would probably be my choice with a mix of shell types. I have a folding Kel-tec 9mm, which would be fine for self defense but a little tougher on squirrels, rabbits and birds. Standing still, really big birds.

Had an AR -7 that was ...ah worn out.....ended up being a single shot....they do pack into the stock for a compact auto loading .22.
    Currently have a take down Ruger 10/.22......to be kept in the pack....but would carry a 12 or 20 ga of some sort......if this was a survival situation.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I carry a remington single shot 510 for most of my minor needs or I carry a remington 510 that I converted to 22 mag. TBH I'm not much for a semi auto, there may be one or two laying about but I seem to go back to my standbys
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you get to cherry pick the gun you are not in a "survival context".

For me, getting caught with nothing but a .22 would be the ultimate sucky situation.

I want a shotgun.

As for the "pack", you can keep that too, along with the concept of surviving out of one.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Get one of the over under combo guns! .22 mag or .223 over a 20Ga shotgun! Almost the best of both worlds! I would take the .223 over 20 ga. just my preference

A shotgun would be good, I always forget when I'm in the woods it usually checking a trapline or scouting for a new line. With that in mind I would use granddad's iver johnson 12 ga double for my un-minor needs.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have a US Henry Survivial 22. Two 7 shot clips , semi-auto and it all fits in the stock . Fits in my knapsack , good for squirrels , rabbits , Grouse , Partridge. It really like CCI stinger ammo. I carry this one a lot.

If you could only have one gun....or two or what ever....the list would read:
    1) 12 ga pump.

then everything else.

The first .22 would be on the list a couple of lines down as Ruger Single Six, after .357, long shooter.....fill in the blanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've taken literally a ton of birds and critters with a .22lr handgun. Why give up the rapidfire and concealment of the handgun? Even better, you can shorten the barrel of a Ruger 2245, incorporate an integral sound suppressor, and have an end product that is BB gun quiet, weighs 22 ozs and is just 1" longer than a Govt model 1911. To get it that quiet, however, you have to run it "wet" and you have to lock shut the bolt. if you run it dry and let the slide cycle, it's about as noisy as a mild handclap.

Hunting with a silencer is now legal in most states. Ruger has brought out a line of silencers. Soon, they will no longer be an NFA 34 restricted item! when you miss a critter with a silencer, they often do not flee. :-) others nearby often don't flee when you kill the first one, if it is dropped cleanly. Along with a set of luminous sight inserts, a silencer is a truly amazing addition to your gear. the added potential of either of those items has to be experienced to be appreciated and the pair, on the same pistol, wow!

With such a pistol and iron sights (I do recommend optics, for most people, specifically the Bushnell, I can stand, unsupported and hit more 2" disks with such a silenced Ruger than I'll miss at 25 yds. That level of performance will put a lot of meat into the pot.

9mm ball ammo doesn't tear up any more meat than a Stinger .22lr hp (from a rifle)
    Last edited by taint; 03-05-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Probably because I don't need concealment in the woods. Besides, I live in an open carry state so it's a mute point for me.

One trick pony rides again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

wait. Pony rides? I like pony rides! I just hope someone doesn't shoot the pony. Especially with silenced luminous sights!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I bought luminous sites last week and had the gun shop silence them. Very quiet and bright. By the way, the owner was telling me that the best all around rig for SHTF was an AR with a .22 conversion kit and a silencer. I told him he was full of beans. He was just trying to get me to spend more money on a silencer when I just had my sites silenced. I'm not that dumb.

Should have gotten the full auto, silenced luminous sights.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Did someone say silenced, luminous ponies?

I want one of those in luminous green please.

The grand kids can ride him, I can quit mowing the grass and he will never get lost at night.

I'm still waiting for the Cherrios box and pictures of the gear!

Do the international world leaders know that every problem they encounter can be solved with a $1.5k AR with .22 conversion unit and silencer?

Famine=get you a .22 pistol with silencer
    Plague=get you an AR and .22 adapter w/silencer
    flood=paddle that boat with an AR
    nuclear war=crawl under the bed and hug that AR

Do I have a vote for installing a silencer on the forum? Can we take a poll? This has gone way past our normal madness level and past what the "ignore button" was designed for.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-05-2016 at 02:45 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Cherrios box and pictures of the gear!
    I hope you aren't holding your breathe!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

why is it that the ones who are SO wise, insightful and "knowledgable"having nothing but bs to offer, hmm? why aint THEY starting new gun topics and providing links and how to info? Could it be that they're just fos?

Quote Originally Posted by taint View Post
    why is it that the ones who are SO wise, insightful and "knowledgable"having nothing but bs to offer, hmm? why aint THEY starting new gun topics and providing links and how to info? Could it be that they're just fos?
    Well, the one that is fos has just been banned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!