Thread: Mule Deer

Default Mule Deer

I've been pricing guided mule deer (and antelope) hunts lately, hoping that I can find a way to take one "soon" (probably around the 2018-19 season). With so many outfitters out there, I am sort of lost. Does anybody have any experience with specific guide services? Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Zack; 02-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Zack,
    What is your projected budget and can you travel to Northern New Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Zack,
    What is your projected budget and can you travel to Northern New Mexico?
    In all honesty, I am not super-serious about the hunt yet. I'm just looking to scope out some of the options.

But if I had to give a budget, I would say about $3000 for the hunt alone. I could go to New Mexico if there was enough of a reason...

Back in our "Go out west hunt days....." We started out search with a call or letter to each western state we thought we wanted to hunt.
    They regularly send out packets of info. on state rules, areas, out of state license costs, times to put in for drawings as necessary... and other requirements (like hunter safety certification).

They will also provide you with information on guided hunts, outfitters, ....also private land owners willing to lease out land and those that have excepted state and Fed money so will allow some hunting.

Then add in accommodations, hotels, camp grounds, and general advertising for area businesses.......Lot of things to look at.

We would start a year in advance as out "Westchester brew tasting and gun club", would hold meeting, collect money for the "Kitty".....and plan out that years outing.
    Kitty money was not refunded unless the trip was canceled......so some one pulling out wouldn't screw up the trip for all the others....
    We would spend your money, with or with out you.

Start early as things book up, and permit application need to be in well in advance in some states.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Back in our "Go out west hunt days....." We started out search with a call or letter to each western state we thought we wanted to hunt.
    They regularly send out packets of info. on state rules, areas, out of state license costs, times to put in for drawings as necessary... and other requirements (like hunter safety certification).

They will also provide you with information on guided hunts, outfitters, ....also private land owners willing to lease out land and those that have excepted state and Fed money so will allow some hunting.

Then add in accommodations, hotels, camp grounds, and general advertising for area businesses.......Lot of things to look at.

We would start a year in advance as out "Westchester brew tasting and gun club", would hold meeting, collect money for the "Kitty".....and plan out that years outing.
    Kitty money was not refunded unless the trip was canceled......so some one pulling out wouldn't screw up the trip for all the others....
    We would spend your money, with or with out you.

Start early as things book up, and permit application need to be in well in advance in some states.
    Good info, thanks