Thread: Changing the World with Axes

Default Changing the World with Axes

Julia Kalthoff, who was head of Wetterlings axe company in Sweden, is featured in a TED Talk videotape (about 11 minutes long) that can be found on Youtube. Her talk is about retaining skills and craftsmanship, opposed to a throwaway mentality and overconsumption. She apparently trained as a blacksmith and became head of this Swedish axe company. Short, interesting talk and it should be easy to find through an internet search. People into axes may enjoy it.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 02-15-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Easier still to find if you post a link. Just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I enjoyed the video thank you

I will have to say, I love good steel and iron but it is very challenging to me to pay $175 for an Axe. I can still buy pre-WW2 Plumb and True Temper axe heads at swap meets and junk stores for less than $10 and put a good handle in them. I only wish I could use an axe the way that my father could use one. However I did NOT grow up with an axe in my hand and I have never "had" to cut and split fire wood with only an axe. I have split a lot of wood but usually using a maul or sometimes wedges(do not much like wedges) My father pretty much grew up using an axe and he took pride in his skill with it.

I do have a hand-forged hatchet that my dear friend George Ainslie made for me that I paid $100 and I have used it for my carrying camp axe for the last 20 years. I love it and prize it very highly. Made many beaver sets with it and cut lots of stakes, splits lots of kindling with it. Used it to help skin and bone out my one and only elk, but i have to tell you the little steel hefted Estwing in my pickup holds a mighty good edge and it cost me $14.99 in 1973 and I have cut tons of sprouts and Willow saplings and Persimmons with it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel there is still good values out there without having to spend $175 for a hand made axe.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 02-15-2016 at 03:31 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have to mirror DS thoughts while agreeing with the theme of the film clip.

Pride in craftsmanship, work ethic, personal empowerment and self actualization are often discarded or lost in our modern world. She even managed to work feminism into the mix. I suppose the thought of hot chicks with axes could either make one giggle or tremble in fear, depending on the situation.

Still, it is difficult to justify a huge expenditure for a hand made item, at excessive price, except for artistic purposes by patrons that can afford the luxury.

It does not insure that the luxury item is of better quality or more useful than the run of the mill product. And one does not have to spend $200+- to get a good quality axe/hatchet.

My True Temper and Plumb hardware has lasted for my lifetime and has served me well. For many years it helped keep my family warm as well as adding to my recreational activities in family camps, on historic sites and rondy camps.

Now days they spend most of the time in the gear trailer, but I know that if I need either the big chopping axe, the camp axe or the splitting maul they are at the very end of the trailer so I can open the door and grab them instantly.

Strangely, that is the first time I ever thought through the fact that I placed them in that spot for a reason!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My Boys Cruiser Ax's are with in reach for the truck tailgate......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for the comments. I think one valid point of the film clip is that people can make a choice to help preserve craft skills and traditions by choosing to utilize old tools and techniques that may become essential when the electronic grid and internet system is interrupted. I have read that Swedish schools do attempt to have students practice knife skills and perhaps axe skills. This practice might help students think outside the box of computer screens and the internet. For the same reason, I also really support requiring water safety and some basic camp crafts over volleyball and tennis in schools.

The film seems to be encouraging people to consider that traditional crafts and skills are worth preserving, and that hands on use of tools can be valuable for our lives. Otherwise, websites like this one may as well just go away.

Unlike my father, I did not grow up using an axe to heat a house. I am glad, though, that he introduced me to the basics of axe use. I have had to use axes when working summers on a road survey crew and when living in a Samoan village. I have also had to rehaft a number of axes, and I avoid plastic handles.

Eventually, we will all cook with microwave ovens and be heated by electric heaters. I can only hope that people think about choices they can make to slow the process of lost skills and traditions.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 02-15-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: punctuation

Have to agree ....kids can't even have a pocket knife in schools these days....let alone an ax.

Actually I do have a bit of confidence that the cream will rise to the top, be it by desire or necessary...... ......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27