Thread: Asparagus question

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Default Asparagus question

I have a small garden and planted some asparagus several years ago. it's now starting to produce. One of the problems I had at that time was no time to do a proper raised garden. I'd like to raise the level til the dogs can't get into it.
    I'm wondering if I wait until the asparagus sprouts then raised the level a few inches at a time as they grew if the existing plants would adapt or do I need to yank them and start over? I know they have deep roots.
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 02-13-2016 at 11:34 AM.

You can raise the beds - but many of us here in Pa fence it in. Not for the dogs... all the nocturnal creatures.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

That actually works pretty well.....just add a couple of inches of dirt in the spring.....and even some more as the season wears on, an did at a time.
    Had to do it with my patch as it was low, and roots were rotting out.

Worked well, till I ripped them out for a garage.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks. It's sort of fenced in but the dogs get in anyhow. It'll be easier to work on once it's raised.

Might want to try this.....

http://www.garden.org/searchqa/index...ord=weed&adv=0

I was adding salt for a couple of years, and did help with weeds....

We grow Asparagus out here. I'll pass on my experience for what it's worth. As of today, we still have a good 2 feet of snow on the gardens. Our growing season is quite short but our gardens do well. Our soil was basically pure sand with a thin layer of forest duff on top when we first arrived here.

First year I planted 2 year old roots in traditional trenches. I tried to put a bunch of organic material in with the roots. They grew well the first summer. That winter most roots died. I suspect the ground froze hard but there was not enough moisture retention in the soil and the roots freeze dried.

Next year, I hand turned over an area of about 35X8 feet. Dug it down at least 12-14 inches and piled copious quantities of moss, decaying forest duff and any organic matter we could find. Mixed it all good, planted the asparagus roots again and we've been fine ever since. The plants will create seed pods that will drop and you'll have volunteer plants. You can use those volunteer plants to fill in any spaces in the rows where a plant may have died or create a brand new row.

Even planting in traditional trenches, I never completely back filled the trenches after planting. As the plants grew, I scattered by hand some garden fertilizer in early spring. Then I raked a little more soil in the trenches. Over the years, the area is now level and all trenches are filled in.

Asparagus are heavy feeders and my suggestion would be to layer manure or fertilizer over the asparagus beds as soon as you can. Wait for the plants to get perhaps 6 inches high and then gently rake a few inches of soil over the plants. That way you have the fertilizer already mixed in at that point. If the roots were not planted deep in trenches, I would be careful about raking too deeply in the area since roots will likely be spread all over and probably are shallow. Good luck!
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Hey, is there any way to grow asparagus from pieces of store-bought asparagus? I've never grown this vegetable in my garden.

Never heard of any one trying to "root" them......?

Spears in the store are not mature enough for seeds.

Most people just buy started root clumps.
    http://www.gurneys.com/category/aspa...VRCRoCdanw_wcB

Or pick it wild.....grow along roads under fences and power lines.....Birds sit and eat the seeds...looks like berry...then poop out the seed under whatever they are sitting on....and spread the plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Taylor View Post
    Hey, is there any way to grow asparagus from pieces of store-bought asparagus? I've never grown this vegetable in my garden.
    Mine were started from seed.