Thread: Well, the parts are coming in : )

Default Well, the parts are coming in : )

.....and man I'm getting giddy. I ordered parts and tools on Thursday and they started pouring in already...and these are just for the AR!
    Also have stuff coming for my AK and Yugo SKS....but they come sometime next week [along with the rest of the AR stuff]....

Box-O'-Parts
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Buffer tube spring

Common armorer's wrench

Front cap for free-float hand guard

Monstrum Tactical 3-9 scope. Comes with basic instructions, the rings and the Allen wrench. Reticle is a black range-finder type and is lighted for low-light/night use. The glass is crystal clear and the reticle markings are sharp/easily seen. Eyepiece and AO are adjustable for individual focus and clarity. Gives almost 3" eye relief.

Still waiting on barrel, flash hider/crush washer, adjustable gas block+tube and lower parts kit from Anderson Mfg.
    Barrel is 18", stainless steel, fluted, 1:8" twist, mid gas length.
    Lower Parts kit is milspec but minus the FCG.
    Gas block is steel, is adjustable and tube is melonite finished.
    Flash hider looks like a longer bird cage but with a faceted front.

Still waiting on buffer, iron sights, bolt, sling adapter back plate [castle nut plate], hand guard, dust cover, ambi safety selector and forward assist from Amazon.
    Bolt Carrier Group is Fail Zero Nickle-Boron.
    15" keymod Hand guard, forward assist, ambi safety selector and enhanced dust cover are all Flat Dark Earth and of various manufacturers.
    Iron sights are 45* offset and non-folding.

For the AK I bought 922[r] parts - US-made magazines, tapco piston, 3-piece US-made trigger group, US-made composite furniture and pistol grip. The oversized charging handle knob is extra/not 922[r].

for the Yugo SKS I also bought 922[r] parts - T-6 Tapco furniture with blade bayo cut stock, Tapco magazines, US-made flash hider and jam nut, US-made gas operating rod and US-made trigger/sear/hammer.

I'm gonna' be busy the next few weeks
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Be sure to post up your upgrades as completed....
    Good stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh...will do bud LOL.

Forgot to mention the scope's covers [were also included] are the clear / see-through type.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

All y'all are trying to get me to start a build of my own.

Have a neighbor out at my cabin that build all sorts of AR's....as does his wife....LOL
    He has been talking to me for years.....

dude, it's easy as Hell. You can go 3 routes:

*1. buy one pre-built.
    2. Buy the serial numbered/registered lower receiver and piece-meal the parts over time.
    3. buy an 80% lower that's unregistered/not serial numbered and mill it out yourself with a drill press and correct tools.....and piece-meal the parts as you go along.

*1. - so long as you don't live in a State that requires person-to-person sales through an FFL....you can buy one from your cabin neighbor [provided it's legal for you to even own one]. No one knows you have it unless he tells someone.
    *1A. - Buy one through an FFL. The government now knows you own one.

2. #1 and #1A both apply but you can simply build it as you go along / as money can be allocated.

3. NO ONE knows you bought it but you and the company you bought it from. You mill it out with the proper tools and according to their directions [often just a drill press and their tool kits]....and then you piece-meal it together as you get cash for the parts.

The ONLY part the ATF considers the "firearm" is the lower receiver [or entire receiver on an AK]. That's the ONLY part that gets registered/serial numbered.

Every single other part of an AR [or an AK for that matter] is immaterial and simply not tracked. Barrels, bolts, misc. parts - all of it.

One caveat - NFA rules still apply, even when building your own.

Build your own full size rifle from an 80% lower and no one knows a thing.

Oh, don't get me wrong.....there are a ....ah...few.... orphan EBR's around...including an old Colt Target Model......but I'm more a single shot rifle/shotgun and muzzle loader guy.

Just something I have think about....

Most excellent. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hunter you had best stay away from the project AR builds. Once you get started it is very difficult to stop once the dealers get their talons into you and start sending you their "specials" in the E-mail.

Stripped lowers are so cheap it makes you want to pick one up every time you head to the grocery store. And when you get offers like assembled uppers with complete parts kits for $300, or assorted uppers for $200 that are only pulling two pins and sticking them on your lower from shootable, it is hard to end the month with any money left.

It is exactly like the episode on Star Trek with the Tribbles. A few months ago I did not own an AR and now I have trouble walking through the house without tripping on AR parts, uppers or collapsible stocks.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

heh heh.....I'm a baaaaaaaaaaaad influence

Handi Rifles, Handi Rifles, Handi Rifles......Stay away from AR's, Stay away from AR's, Stay away from AR's......

Gotta say, that lately the price of Handi Rifles and barrels, makes swapping uppers a viable option?????

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Handi Rifles, Handi Rifles, Handi Rifles......Stay away from AR's, Stay away from AR's, Stay away from AR's......

Gotta say, that lately the price of Handi Rifles and barrels, makes swapping uppers a viable option?????
    IF you can find the barrels....

IF you can find a decent PRICE for them...

IF you want to reload it 30 times in 10 minutes....

But COMPLETE AR uppers range from $300-up for.......

Rimfire calibers

.17 HMR
    .17 Winchester Super Magnum
    .22 Long Rifle
    .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire

Centerfire calibers inch measurement

.17 Remington
    .17×223
    .204 Ruger
    .223 Remington - .223 cartridges may function in a 5.56×45mm rifle, however 5.56×45mm cartridges
    -------will produce excessive pressure in a .223 rifle.
    .223 Remington Ackley Improved
    .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    .25 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    .25-45 Sharps
    .270AR
    .277 Wolverine (6.8×39mm)
    .30 Carbine
    .30 Herrett (.308-6.8)
    .30 Remington AR
    300 AAC Blackout (7.62×35mm)
    .300 Whisper
    .375 Reaper
    .375 Socom[1]
    .40 S&W
    .45 ACP
    .450 Bushmaster
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Beowulf
    .50 Action Express

Centerfire calibers metric measurement

5.45×39mm
    5.56×42mm(5.56-6.8)
    5.56x45mm NATO
    6mm-223 Remington
    6mm Fat Rat (6mm Grendel AI)
    6mm AR Turbo
    6mm BRX
    5.7×28mm FN
    6.5mm BRX
    6.5mm Grendel
    6.5mm Patriot Combat Cartridge
    6.8×39mm (.277 Wolverine)
    6.8mm Remington SPC
    7.62×37mm Musang
    7.62×39mm
    7.62×40mm Wilson Tactical
    9mm Parabellum
    10mm Auto

Calibers which will not feed but which are used in rifles where the receiver functions only as a trigger group

.50 BMG
    .408 CheyTac
    .338 Lapua Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum

and then the AR10 platform:

7.62×51mm NATO

Center fire calibers
    .243 Winchester
    .260 Remington
    6.5mm Creedmoor
    6mm Creedmoor
    6×47mm Lapua
    6.5×47mm Lapua
    7mm-08 Remington
    .308 Winchester - considered interchangeable with 7.62×51mm NATO according to SAAMI.
    .338 Federal
    .358 Winchester
    .45 RAPTOR

...........yeah......stick with the Handi rifle? Naaaaaaaaahhhh

I know...I'm a bad, bad boy HEE HEE
    Last edited by druid; 02-22-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Sooooo, how many do you have?

Sportster
    .22lr
    .22 mag
    .17 HMR

Handi's,
    Platform 1.
    .22 lr Versa pac off set for rim fire.
    45/70
    .50 cal ML
    .45lc/.410
    28 ga
    20 ga w/chokes
    20 ga rifled bull
    16 ga
    12 ga w/chokes

Platform 2
    .204 Ruger
    .38/.357
    30-30
    30-06
    .35 Rem
    .35 Whelan

Platform 3
    .44 mag
    .45 lc/.454/.460
    .444 Marlin

Platform 4 NATO

Platform 5
    .500 S&W
    to add....300Blk out(?)

Target Special
    38/55

Huntsman ML

NEF 10 ga
    NEF 12 ga slug
    NEF 20 ga Youth

So yeah missing a few yet........
    Then maybe I start building EBR's

I can neither confirm, nor deny, the existence of such a collection, or even a portion - large or small - of such uppers.

However I will say this....there are very few, even if any, game [or otherwise - "two-legged"] animals in North America that cannot be handled with a 12 GA shotgun, a 5.56/.223 or .30 cal/.308. Shotgun for the 'rodent' animals and birds, rifles for the bigger game. Some of those animals weigh literally up to half a ton....Elk, bison, moose, bear, etc.

My firearms purchases are generally based upon utilitarian needs. On the rare occasion, I might pick one [or seven] up just for 'fun.'

As an avid hunter, I know what works and for what game. As a disaster preparedness student, I know what is commonly available [in a shtf scenario]. As LE, I'm trained in their application towards any/all threats - human or otherwise. My personal philosophy? In a way, I kind of resemble the Russian war-dog ideology - like the one you hear when you listen to the AK v. AR arguments....

We in the West tend to think the value of a battle rifle is based on one that is the epitome of a tack driver.....puts tight, consistent groups on paper over anything else. That's where the AR platform comes into play. Very accurate, fast and light caliber which is capable of MOA/sub-MOA groups if you pay enough to make it that way. The AR10 platform is more of a SPR than a 'common/general' battle rifle and has its own dedicated function within the genre [<--- that's just MHO though - I would concede that's a debatable argument]. What the anti-gunners call "high capacity" is actually "standard capacity" magazines and normally hold 30 rounds. Oh yes, some hold more or less but the actual original mags were 20 and 30 rounds. The Beta mags [drums] were introduced because some idiot wanted to turn the AR platform into a Squad Assault Weapon [like the M-60/CAR-60 or 249 SAW]. From an operational standpoint, it makes sense because all parts are interchangeable...however....realistically the AR was simply not built for sustained fire like a true SAW and becomes little more than a small caliber noise-maker until a barrel or gas tube failure renders it inoperable.

The Russians built the AK and have the ideology that "so long as you hit the target, it's pretty much out of the game." They used a .30 cal bullet in a mid-range casing. And while it is certainly NOT an MOA/sub-MOA gun, simply getting a/few hit[s] - lethal or not - will render the target all but useless - even if just taking a few into plate armor. Their standard 30 round magazine was bulky but effective and again, some idiot wanted a SAW - so they created the 75 rd drum.

I'm not into the "wildcat" calibers at all and for a few good reasons - initial price of commercial ammo, cost of reloading dies and the scarcity of components during a shtf scenario. My duty weapon is .40 cal but my EDC firearm is 9mm para. Why a 9? Because I can throw a rock in any direction and hit somewhere there is 9mm ammo. The 5 local gun shops within WALKING distance stock it like "the end is at hand!!!" and is considerably cheaper than .40 . LOL.

I have several .22 calibers of different makes and those were bought as "trainers" for my daughters. Learn light, upgrade to fight. They do make good small game/survival guns but the scarcity of bulk .22 ammo tends to make me ration out what I will and won't use. The closure of the last lead works in the US has forced companies to go outside the US - or find other means to make the projectiles. That's reflected in the cost and packaging quantity. In high school we used Eley Match ammo for competitions but I simply refuse to buy it because of cost. Reconstructed projectiles in bulk would cost a retarded amount and that's why they package it in smaller quantities. I myself have already cast .50 cal flintlock rounds from wheel weights and old lead roof flashing. It's dangerous and tedious work but the skill set is worth learning.

wow......that got long-winded..............LOL

It is that we just get our fun in different ways.......No need to explain.

Like I said, maybe in the future when I get tired of SS's....I may consider a project.....
    My project #1 with 10 barrels was the cost of one average bare bones AR.....at the time.....not anymore.

no harm, no foul bud. I'll never criticize a person for their choice of firearms. We all have our "loves, likes and dislikes".......we're all brothers from other mothers

Now since I got some parts on the weapon tonight, I'll put up a few more shots:

Ambidextrous safety/selector by "Seekins Precision" - it's a nice selector but the color is just a tad bit off from the rest of the furniture. It's also anodized thus 'shiny', whereas the rest is cerekote, which is more of a 'matte' finish

Best phone shot I could get of the two colors - selector and scope

15" Keymod free-float hand guard/rail and how it matches the scope perfectly. An 18" S/S barrel is going inside it. I'm going to mount it and test fire it before I decide if I'm going to paint it or not [high temp grill paint]...which I believe I am.....it's going to be matte black but the straight flutes will be the matching tan

Muzzle-end hand guard cap. It's not necessary but it does help keep out large pieces of debris

This is the "enhanced" dust cover from Strike Industries. It's polymer and 'preloaded' with spring and pivot rod. It's also a perfect match to the rail and scope

Long shots