Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone's cache got found.

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Default Someone's cache got found.

Skip ahead to about 25 minutes into this metal detecting video (not mine). They uncover someone's cache which appears, from expiration dates, to be about 15 years overdue for replacement.

There's a lesson for cachers, not just in how to do it but what the contents should be. Hopefully it belongs to no one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgIopyNO_k
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 02-10-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Note, don't stash metal so the detector guys can't find it!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Nice video shared it with my metal detector friends.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Note, don't stash metal so the detector guys can't find it!
    Or be smart about it. Bury it a little deeper and as you cover it put a piece of metal (like claw hammer) above it so if detected they may stop at that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Or cover it with rebar and pour concrete over it! Access from the side.

If you are on a farm you can also use the old "dump sites" that were the final home to every tin can and rusty metal object for the past 200 years.

Due to the expiration dates I would propose that particular hoard was part of someone's Y2K stash.

Also good to know that a 5 gallon bucket and heavy garbage bag will stand up to 15 years underground! I did not see any water damage at all.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

After watching a lot of metal detecting videos I have a few ideas that might work to put them off a cache. It looks like fun by the way so I'm not putting down detectorists.

These folks have their main detector which alerts them that something is down there. They start to dig and then use a pointer to pin point where the item is, in the clod of dirt, still in the hole etc. Even when they've found something, as long as there is a signal they are likely to keep digging. Things like an old hammer or axe head are trophies of a sort to many of them and will encourage them to explore further.

I would suggest metal shavings, old nails and scrap metal, bottle caps, pull tabs and cans, foil etc widely scattered on the surface as more likely to have them decide it's not worth their time. If the area looks like its been heavily detected already (lots of little unfilled holes), it might do the same.

Not being a detectorist myself, I can only go by what I've seen online. It appears that at the moment the better detectors can reach down about a foot or so. This is from a couple of comparison charts I saw from 2011. The capabilities will probably get better with time though, so a three or four foot range may not be out of the question in the future, assuming they aren't there already.

Unnecessary metal like handles should be eliminated where possible. Metal items should probably be as deep as possible and on land where detecting is not legal or in an undesirable location, bull pasture, shooting range impact areas, swamps, ponds. Farm fields get plowed up exposing relics including arrow heads so out in the middle of one might not even be a good location. Places with lots of trees and thick brush would be my choice around here, but falling trees pull up stuff with them sometimes. Ground with a lot of rocks or bedrock close to the surface could be good if you find a deep crack that's not too obvious.

Old landfills and junk piles are just the sort of place many people will go looking for treasures. Old privy holes and cellars, fence lines, building foundations etc are prime locations. Anyplace where something was and isn't anymore should be suspect. These folks are interested in the history as much as the 'treasure'. As a last resort including a note asking anyone that finds it to leave it there might be a good idea. I saw a video recently where a large geocache was uncovered and they respected the request to replace it.

I was kinda surprised at the lack of water damage as well.

Besides keeping buckets sealed, condensation also seems to create moisture from temperature differential?
    Maybe burying it would help......But a 55 gal drum sitting in a shed did have surface rust on the inside....when sealed up with supplies.
    No special treatment of the metal or air (inert gas) was done.

I guess I didn't catch any mention of who owned the land......so anything buried on public or some one else's land is fair game. IMO.

Don't want to lose it.... don't put it next to a historic site....or bury at you own risk.

As far as depth goes..... lot of the sensitivity has to do with size of target and how good of a unit you have (Money).
    Mine is a Garrett older model, and can find big stuff like car parts at 2ft., coins and pop-tops at a ft.
    was about $300 buck at the time.

Mostly use it to find brass on my little shooting range when the auto loaders fling the empties everywhere.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I saw one guy hide one under his concrete pad with an AC unit on top. You dig down and sideways.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I saw one guy hide one under his concrete pad with an AC unit on top. You dig down and sideways.
    Oh, sure....tell everyone about it.......guess I better move it.

Note to self......H63 moving his cache.........check next to outdoor shower and holding tank.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Have you guys seen that show called the diggers? I watched about 15 minutes of that show and went out and burned my metal detector!
    Do all detectorists go completely bonkers when they find an old coin that is barely worth it's weight in metal, let out a mind numbing scream, then run through the woods doing back flips as they yell at their partner what they found?

You should watch the English show The Detectorists. It's a hoot. It's on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You should watch the English show The Detectorists. It's a hoot. It's on Netflix.
    We just found that last month and watched the entire season. Now, anxiously awaiting the next season to come out on netflix!

From what I saw I guess a paddock could be a good cache location.

Some people are easily entertained.......?

Does a good job on spent brass.........but never really found too much of value.

Did find out good places to look......after a festival, near booths, around volley ball courts, side lines of baseball and football fields...

Any place where some one would leave wallet change, jewelry....etc.

Did find a couple of pair of children's glasses?...How does that happen?

Are you kidding? My kids could lose themselves, bikes, wagons, homework. The only reason none of my kids lost their glasses is they didn't wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Billofthenorth View Post
    Skip ahead to about 25 minutes into this metal detecting video (not mine). They uncover someone's cache which appears, from expiration dates, to be about 15 years overdue for replacement.

There's a lesson for cachers, not just in how to do it but what the contents should be. Hopefully it belongs to no one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgIopyNO_k

LOL!! I love the "It's not dead"... whaaaa???? "It's not ALIVE either.. it's just not dead"

I'm thinking you want to put it below frost line, at least around here. And hope you don't have to dig it up in February...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Lmao...Nothing says "stealthy" like a cigar... That's like calling a skunk stealthy

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I wonder if you just buried a cache deep, and threw handfuls of old rusty nails in as you covered it up, that a detectorist would just think well, nothing but rusty nails here?

Nowhere is 100% safe.