Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best fieldcraft/survival knife? cold steel bushman

Default Best fieldcraft/survival knife? cold steel bushman

BUSHMAN SERIES_m.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq1EFWVV3C0

What do you think?

The sheath is crap. But you can always find custom sheaths on ebay anyway.
    Last edited by Mace; 01-26-2016 at 08:37 AM.

...if that's your price range.
    ...and make your own.
    http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/IMG_0787.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq1EFWVV3C0

What do you think?

The sheath is crap. But you can always find custom sheaths on ebay anyway.
    Have heard good things about it, but the video was a little strange. As far as being the "best," that depends on you. If I was really in a "survival situation," then why would I throw one of my most valuable tools? You may be able to gig fish and frogs with it, but you would destroy a lot of the meat with the blade any way. And unless you are in some of the most extreme environments on the planet where there are animals that you may have to fight with a spear, then I doubt that it would come into any use as a "defensive tool". Just my $0.02...

As far as knives go for bushcraft, I will keep my Mora and Swiss Army. More practical for me, anyway.

Im accustomed to the esee series among other brands. but despite the price range of this knife. it has incredible edge retention and durability. and mainly i like the fact the blade is so easy to sterilize by fire or otherwise boiling water.

the bk9 is defiantly my preferred knife despite the price range though
    Last edited by Mace; 01-26-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Each to his own.....I guess.
    Nice knives, but not for me for what I do.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Im accustomed to the esee series among other brands. but despite the price range of this knife. it has incredible edge retention and durability. and mainly i like the fact the blade is so easy to sterilize by fire or otherwise boiling water.

the bk9 is defiantly my preferred knife despite the price range though
    How long have you had one and what have you put it through to determine the quality of its edge retention and durability? Second question - why are you concerned with sterilizing the blade? What happened where you had to do that?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How long have you had one and what have you put it through to determine the quality of its edge retention and durability? Second question - why are you concerned with sterilizing the blade? What happened where you had to do that?
    batoned hundreds of logs with a single knife. and processed huge amounts of would without any need for sharpening. carved notches etc. and removing the coating from the spine. you can even throw sparks from this blade using quarts. ive put this knife through every bushcraft and survival task. it is virtually indestructible. as far as "real" woodland survival goes this knife is unbeatable for the price

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Have heard good things about it, but the video was a little strange. As far as being the "best," that depends on you. If I was really in a "survival situation," then why would I throw one of my most valuable tools? You may be able to gig fish and frogs with it, but you would destroy a lot of the meat with the blade any way. And unless you are in some of the most extreme environments on the planet where there are animals that you may have to fight with a spear, then I doubt that it would come into any use as a "defensive tool". Just my $0.02...

As far as knives go for bushcraft, I will keep my Mora and Swiss Army. More practical for me, anyway.
    the ability to sterilize a blade if you are field dressing game,fish etc among other things. having only one or two knives is pretty important in my opinion at least when you are in an actual survival situation.
    the video is simple a demonstration of the versatility. this knife is certainly suitable for virtually any survival situation. in my experience. and i have quite a bit of experience surviving in the Appellation wilderness

in an actually survival situation you may easily find yourself in a position where a spear, or extending the range of your blade(for fishing;even for hunting). is very practical. as you can easily end up having no other viable options. and at close range,for small game. the ability to throw a knife(if you know what youre doing). lol, despite i wouldnt really recommend it if you dont. can easily score you some food. and is far mor effective than a throwing stick. but i really wouldnt recommend throwing your knife either. the video is simply an all around demonstration. but there are many others you can find online in reviews
    Last edited by Mace; 01-26-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Each to his own.....I guess.
    Nice knives, but not for me for what I do.
    depends on what you do. my interests are really based upon real survival situations. more than bushcraft and hunting skills. but both skill sets play a pretty big roll of course. this makes a good all purpose knife. but i could list many other knives as well

in a situation where there is a chance of finding yourself having to survive in the woods with minimal gear for potentially a long period of time. there are simple some tools that are more practical to have than others
    Last edited by Mace; 01-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.

What on earth do you do that you find yourself in these survival situations? My goal is to avoid them.

i would say everyone has a thought on best bushcraft knife i carry lon humphrey custom but my schrade model 42 is one that could b abused i woldnt abuse my custom but it could take it easily. i had bk two original hated it. it like using a crowbar mixed with sledge hammer. cold steel srk would b better than the bushman, but everyone has opinions that why we love our forums. we can learn from others out there who been there done that so others can save time and money and grief.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Also, with a rubber cork. you can actually store quite a bit in the handle;fishing gear etc. all kinds of practical uses for this blade really in my opinion. when processing large amounts of wood. having only one or two knives for all tasks. you are likely to accumulate quite a lot of pine resin on the blade. and if you have no solvent on hand youll play hell removing it. but this is quite easy if you are able to heat the blade to a moderate temperature. in which you can easily wipe the residue away. having no form of plastic parts or parts that may be damaged by heat is in my opinion a nice advantage of this kind of knife

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What on earth do you do that you find yourself in these survival situations? My goal is to avoid them.
    Nobody ever expects to find themselves in a situation where they have to survive. I simply study these situations. As well as the best,lightest and most practical tools one can have to be prepared for them in case they do happen. I also study primitive survival techniques, such as primitive methods of making fire, tools and shelters,wild edible plants,medicines, trap construction. etc. simple skills,techniques and knowledge. Involving minimal amount of gear

these are the wilderness survival forums after all

there are all kinds of great knives for survival. and this is simply one of them in my opinion. i say "best" only in the sense of all around functionality, price durability. knives like the morra are great for camping and bushcraft. but simply not as realistic as other knives under certain circumstances where. you absolutely want a full tang,indestructible high carbon steel. with a balance of hardness/toughness. probably the most important features of a survival knife. is the ability to split and process wood and the ability to strip away the damp outer exterior of wood etc. the ability to feather wood for tinder. make shelters,field dress, and cook all with the same knife. in which case sterilization and cleaning;removal of such things as pine resin becomes a moderate issue of concern. and these are tasks you want to be able to perform without having it be a lengthy process. or resulting in the use of too many calories

as far as sterilization goes. when you are using traps for small game,field dressing etc etc. without anything on hand to kill bacteria. wiping the blade down isnt enough. this bacteria will build up in your sheath etc. and can easily cause illness. absent of any other means heat is the best way to do this. and plastic parts make this
    difficult.

but there are many other knifes on the market that are good to this end too
    Last edited by Mace; 01-26-2016 at 05:48 PM.

the ability to sterilize a blade if you are field dressing game,fish etc among other things. having only one or two knives is pretty important in my opinion at least when you are in an actual survival situation.
    the video is simple a demonstration of the versatility. this knife is certainly suitable for virtually any survival situation. in my experience. and i have quite a bit of experience surviving in the Appellation wilderness

in an actually survival situation you may easily find yourself in a position where a spear, or extending the range of your blade(for fishing;even for hunting). is very practical. as you can easily end up having no other viable options. and at close range,for small game. the ability to throw a knife(if you know what youre doing). lol, despite i wouldnt really recommend it if you dont. can easily score you some food. and is far mor effective than a throwing stick. but i really wouldnt recommend throwing your knife either. the video is simply an all around demonstration. but there are many others you can find online in reviews
    Good points. But I have a Mora Clipper that works better for me than the Bushman would. If the Bushman is better for you, then stick with it. Good luck, bud.

My primary knife is the esee 6 and a few others. but i really do like the style of this knife

My dad had a CS Bushman. Once you get over the gimmicky spear-socket deal it's a pretty decent knife. It seemed pretty sturdy, took a fair edge and didn't cost much. It wouldn't be my first choice but it's not a bad choice either. I chime in to agree that I probably wouldn't be throwing my only knife at anything.

I would put them in the "gimmick" category myself. Had one, didn't like it, gave it away. Cold Steel's Master Hunter is a much better knife with a warm grippy handle, the Bushmans handles are cold and slick unless you cover them with something. But I'll trust my ESEE Laserstrike over any Cold Steel product made !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I had one as well. Bought it on a whim. I had planned on doing a couple of modifications (wrap the handle, add a finger guard, etc.) but never got around to it.
    I eventually gave it away.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

in an actually survival situation you may easily find yourself in a position where a spear, or extending the range of your blade(for fishing;even for hunting). is very practical. as you can easily end up having no other viable options. and at close range,for small game. the ability to throw a knife(if you know what youre doing). lol, despite i wouldnt really recommend it if you dont. can easily score you some food. and is far mor effective than a throwing stick. but i really wouldnt recommend throwing your knife either. the video is simply an all around demonstration. but there are many others you can find online in reviews <snip>

NEVER NEVER NEVER attach your knife to a stick and throw it at game in a survival situation. If it doesn't kill the game instantly which is normal, the animal may run off with your knife. Using it on a stick to extend your each is ok if it is anchored to the stick so that it doesn't pull off, but never throw it at the game. If you want to throw a spear, use the knife to carve a point, then fire harden the point and throw that. Or you can use scrap metal or stone or bone to make points with and attach them to your spear. No, don't throw your knife away, you might need it !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Why not just sharpen the stick?