Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Garden

Default New Garden

My garden is just about done. I need to till the new soil in with the old forest soil still, but it has been too wet. the side paddock will be for chickens in the future, and I have a connecting door so I can let them into the garden seasonally or supervised to help turn the soil, eat bugs and weeds, and of course fertilize.

In total over 5000 sq/ft of garden and over 1000 sq/ft of chicken run.

I a couple weeks I'm having some plants delivered and will be planting asparagus, strawberries, and blueberries in the garden. I normally don't like putting perennial crops in with annual ones but with deer pressure I don't have another location right now. I'll also be planting some mulberries in the chicken run to provide mast.

I may end up having to cut some more trees if there isn't enough sun, but I'm almost to my property line as-is and this is the only flatish piece of ground on my property.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a pretty sweet garden. Plenty of vertical fence for climbers like beans. Me likey.

Wow, I'm impressed.....That is nice....
    Lie the big gates for the tiller and such.

Sadly mine is just back to grass right now....maybe be getting back into it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice plot. I hope the exposure is good but you always have options for poor sun areas. There are several herbs and a few greens I can't grow in the shadiest part of my bit of dirt for much of the year.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Love it Chris. I have a similar set up only I put all 7500 ft.² into the garden area. Makes me wonder if I should put up a divider. Then open it and make part of it for chickens when we start to grow them. They could scratch up the beds and deposit their sweet compost piles and I would be at to switch them from year-to-year if I made the fence movable. Great set up.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

You...uh....you do know that chickens and sweet compost piles should never be used in the same sentence, right? It's like a law or something.

I do actually. I was wondering if anybody was paying attention and indeed you were.

Blog Entries

Cor! That's a fantastic garden in the rough, Chris My new allotment is just slightly smaller, but I do envy your fence.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Geek View Post
    Love it Chris. I have a similar set up only I put all 7500 ft.² into the garden area. Makes me wonder if I should put up a divider. Then open it and make part of it for chickens when we start to grow them. They could scratch up the beds and deposit their sweet compost piles and I would be at to switch them from year-to-year if I made the fence movable. Great set up.
    Not a bad idea, a movable 8 foot deer fence like I have wouldn't be easy, but a movable chicken fence is a piece of cake. You can even just use cheap plastic netting. Then yes, switching chicken sides every year seems pretty genius.

In my case the chicken end is the shadiest end, so that will always been a permanent run, but I do hope to put in some other connected runs and others elsewhere I could transport the chickens too. For instance I have this one, cleared, but very steep slope (greater than 45 degrees). I might trellis in some grape there - but how will I keep weeds down and mow? It will have to be chickens or goats or sheep or something. I'm lazy like that, I'm just thinking of ways to make animals work for me, meat and or eggs are a byproduct.

Awesome. My garden consists of a few plastic containers, so needless to say.....jealousy abounds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Not a bad idea, a movable 8 foot deer fence like I have wouldn't be easy, but a movable chicken fence is a piece of cake. You can even just use cheap plastic netting. Then yes, switching chicken sides every year seems pretty genius.

In my case the chicken end is the shadiest end, so that will always been a permanent run, but I do hope to put in some other connected runs and others elsewhere I could transport the chickens too. For instance I have this one, cleared, but very steep slope (greater than 45 degrees). I might trellis in some grape there - but how will I keep weeds down and mow? It will have to be chickens or goats or sheep or something. I'm lazy like that, I'm just thinking of ways to make animals work for me, meat and or eggs are a byproduct.
    Ok, taking your thought further. Our garden is 150'+ x 50' at most parts (not a straight line garden). We have coated chain link fence 6' high. But due to Mother Earth News great article on gardening in WI, we had the installers put 4' of chicken wire on - 2 feet folded and underground to prevent most diggers, and 2' high to prevent most lazy climbers. Haven't had any real incursions except when I LET IN a wood chuck by accident (got him out!)

So, I could not only separate north from south, but I could add little runs east to west also where the garden needed "chicken tilling" and compost deposits. I was thinking it was split in in 1/2 but boy, I could really work with this concept.

Thanks again for the picture. You really helped us and made us think. I just never thought of pasturing the chickens in the garden during the gardening season even on the fallow areas until I saw your picture.

Do you recall that article?......Just curious.

But that is an ideal set up with the buried fencing......Congrats!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Love the size of your garden plot. We had some leveling done to our property last summer, some new top soil (actually the guy had dug out his pond and had excess soil to get rid of) so hoping to till up a bigger garden spot this year. Will be guarding the tomatoes with gun in hand this year. We never got to can the first tomato last year because of the SQUIRRELS, and I was blaming the rabbits. Even started picking the fruit when began to ripen and set them up on the porch railing to finish ripening, only to walk out on the porch and see tomato peelings laying on the porch. The darn squirrels PEEL the tomato before eating them.

We did however eat a couple of squirrels, but not enough to save the tomatoes. gonna make sure to have plenty of room in the freezer for squirrels this summer.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

It will be perfect. Looks really nice. I like that you've left some space for the chicken.

Goats will eat everything they can see, including your grape vines. Sheep might leave em be. Chickens too. Have you considered runner ducks or geese?

You might want to think real hard about putting strawberries anywhere you will be planting tomatoes. They share diseases, with the tomatoes not being as hardy as the strawberries about it.

Blueberries can be a chore too. They like a really acid soil while most garden plants tend to like a more neutral soil. If you're going to keep blueberries in the garden, keep them along the edge, dig out the soil about 1' down, put in a boarded bed, then replace half the soil with a peat moss or an acidic compost like shredded oak leaves and pine needles. You'll have to side dress them at least twice a year with some sort of soil acidifier. There are organic ones out there. I use blood meal on mine, with a fish emulsion in the spring before flower break and again on fruit set. Same for the cranberries I grow.

Guessing you know to keep the brambles out of there. They'll run all over - and even faster in tilled soil.

Mulberries are bird magnets. Usually planted well away as a trap crop to keep the birds away from the fruits and veggies you want them to stay away from. Just sayin...

Nice looking fence. I'm jealous.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Super sweet garden spot. Can't wait to see what it looks like with a garden and chickens.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

That's cool. I would like to have such a plot of land at my disposal.

I've been dreaming about this piece of land all my life. It's just that I've lived in an apartment for ten years, and to be honest, I'm already tired of the city.

But rather than plan a garden or owning a piece of land I figured that I would sneak back in and spam the forum.

I failed. I am an idiot.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-25-2021 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

What part of the world are you in?

Spammers never learn. Bye bye DoorsOfGuf.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel