Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Site Area: Pandemic Survival

Messed up my response, but we should note that a more educated population with a high standard of living shows slower population growth. Allowing women access to education and health care seems to be a most effective way of slowing the rate of population growth

The article mentioned by Batch (Slate on Jan. 9, 2013) seems to be a good one and brings out the idea of a "demographic transition" when a population becomes generally more educated and with a high standard of living. The article points out that some countries have attempted specific rewards for families to have ore children - usually with limited results

I really want to check out the "Routes of Contagion" book as well.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 02-08-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add information

I am no expert, but we should remember the diseases that have historically wiped out peoples not previously exposed - measles, smallpox and other diseases that we now consider to be minor nuisances but were very deadly in the past. One item of interest to me is the 1918 influenza epidemic. My understanding is that about 20 percent of the population in Western Samoa (now independent Samoa) was killed, but the neighboring islands of American Samoa were spared. An American Samoa government did not allow a vessel carrying infected passenger to land, but passengers did disembark into Western Samoa.

I am not a doctor or an expert on public health, but I think we need to stress the importance of basic public health measures that have made a big improvement in preventing the spread of disease. Vaccination and inoculations, sewage disposal and treatment of public water supplies have made a big difference in the life expectancies of many countries.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 02-10-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Those three items may have been more important in the life of modern man than the invention of the wheel.

Kind of cruel thinking on my part I suppose, but I think a major pandemic is the only chance the world as we know it has, if it is going to survive! I think we are past the point of sustainability for mother earth!
    The only other option is a major world war, and that would most likely end it right there!

You should talk about the scourge of Polio. It was the Zika of its day, the debilitator of children.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Know how they practically wiped out polio?

The Public Health Service in each and every community in the U.S. marched a squad of nurses into the public schools, lined each and every student up and vaccinated them, with or without parental permission.

They also wiped out whooping cough, diphtheria, typhoid and had a good run at measles before the protest of health and common sense took control.

Try that today.

Pity is that the Zika virus would be taken in hand quickly if the affected areas were allowed the use of DDT for a couple of years.

We are allowing a disease we could control with the 1940s technology to run rampant across the globe.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A LONG but very interesting article in The Atlantic (March 2002 issue) has a lot of information about how devastating introduced new diseases were to the Americas "1491" is an article by Charles C. Mann that discusses population estimates of pre-Columbian America and the impact that contact with the Western world had upon native populations. A lot of controversy, but there is no doubt about the effects of pandemics upon the history of the Americas

www.theatlantic.com
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 03-06-2016 at 08:46 PM.