Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Site Area: Pandemic Survival

Default New Site Area: Pandemic Survival

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/p...-introduction/

I still need to write the article on Zika, its so new.

As far as I'm concerned, a pandemic is the most likely thing to occur to mankind than any other scenario. The 1919 Spanish Flu killed up to 100 million people. It is only a matter of time before we get another pandemic like that again.

Slick. Very nice addition. I don't where you draw the line on diseases but HIV/AIDS has claimed some 39 million. The CDC classifies it as a pandemic.
    I agree. It seems to me the most likely scenario given the speed with which any given disease can span the world. Ebola was a good example of how a disease can wind up in your own backyard before you know it. God help us if the next pandemic is airborne transmissible or can survive extended times on surfaces like packages, envelopes, food containers, etc.

I do wonder about the "Zika" out break?

Spread by mosquitos, and is really only dangerous to pregnant women?
    How is this considered an "Outbreak?"

As it seems that the spread is slower in areas where winter causes die offs, and the targets are a smaller portion of the population, what is the major concern.

Make me wonder if its another push for funds ....?.....When the Ebola outbreak billions were lost in the news article are correct.
    http://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/...cing-money-aid.

I have to agree with Rick....HIV/AID and birth control pose a larger threat?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can definitely see a disaster like this happening. More and more people. More and more travel. I don't see what I can do about it other than washing my hands a hundred times a day when in the city and wearing a surgical mask like they do in Tokyo when there's a scare.

Default Zika has been sexually transmitted in Texas, CDC confirms

a lot of Texas men will now be anxious.
    Last edited by Rick; 02-05-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Had to change that. Sorry.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Slick. Very nice addition. I don't where you draw the line on diseases but HIV/AIDS has claimed some 39 million. The CDC classifies it as a pandemic.
    I agree. It seems to me the most likely scenario given the speed with which any given disease can span the world. Ebola was a good example of how a disease can wind up in your own backyard before you know it. God help us if the next pandemic is airborne transmissible or can survive extended times on surfaces like packages, envelopes, food containers, etc.
    I guess I don't consider HIV a pandemic because it is incapable of spreading quickly. People call things like obesity an epidemic or pandemic too.

From the standpoint of this site's point of view, there are no prepping or survival issues in trying to avoid it. We all know how to avoid it.

So I basically stuck with things that are spread either by air, casual contact, or insects, and that are infectious enough to spread quickly, or of course be weaponized.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

There are slow pandemics and rapid pandemics. The medical definition doesn't distinguish between the two. Only that the disease becomes world wide. I have said for a long time, going back to my teaching days, that a pandemic is the most likely event that will reduce man kinds numbers. The principal reason for saying that is the wide spread development of mass transportation. A person can literally travel any where in the world in 24 hours. Because most diseases have a incubation period of days to weeks, during the latter part of that period becoming contagious BEFORE showing any symptoms, many people can become infected and repeat the process. Your chance of contracting said disease is highest where population densities are highest, ie: slums of large cities, ect. Your best defense against a pandemic disease is to avoid crowded situations.

There is a book titled "Routes of Contagion" whose author escapes me at the moment, that showed how the out break of pandemics 19th century was tied to sea travel and incubation periods. A very interesting read!
    Geezer Squad #2

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor
    A person can literally travel any where in the world in 24 hours.

Sadly, their luggage often can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I guess I don't consider HIV a pandemic because it is incapable of spreading quickly. People call things like obesity an epidemic or pandemic too.

From the standpoint of this site's point of view, there are no prepping or survival issues in trying to avoid it. We all know how to avoid it.

So I basically stuck with things that are spread either by air, casual contact, or insects, and that are infectious enough to spread quickly, or of course be weaponized.
    HIV/AIDS would fit this description, the virus can last for days on a dried surface, and the EPIdemic in Austin Indiana (just 12 miles from where I live) is nothing short of proof that it COULD be weaponized and used as biological warfare. The persons in Austin are spreading it with needles faster than with the more traditional method of transfer of the virus.JMHO
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Oh, there are prepping issues...not exactly the same, mind, but at least one means of contracting HIV can be avoided (or at least diminished) for about 10 dollars the box at any pharmacy or grocery store. It's just a matter of going beforehand.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Great addition! A lot of information and a lot to read.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I just checked Amazon; " Routes of Contagion " by Siegfried & Henderson is currently available , new or used, for $4.00 There are a couple of other books on the same subject that look interesting.
    Geezer Squad #2

novel virsises like lab made flu,aids zika,ebola ect... equal population control
    TPTB have been at this a long time now. to kill off by any means nessesary
    the bulk of the planets population. this people is not conspiracy it's fact.

Well, they are doing a pretty lousy job of it then. Someone needs to send them back to school and start with population control 101. We're hovering around a 10-11% increase in planet population each year. That's not conspiracy it's fact.

(somewhere is a dank, dark laboratory deep beneath an Ivy League campus and evil government scientist suddenly yells, "Eureka!!!! I've done it!!!! I've developed a lab made flue, aids zika, ebola ect.!!! Buhahahahahaha. Now to end the world's population. Except me off course.)

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, they are doing a pretty lousy job of it then. Someone needs to send them back to school and start with population control 101. We're hovering around a 10-11% increase in planet population each year. That's not conspiracy it's fact.

(somewhere is a dank, dark laboratory deep beneath an Ivy League campus and evil government scientist suddenly yells, "Eureka!!!! I've done it!!!! I've developed a lab made flue, aids zika, ebola ect.!!! Buhahahahahaha. Now to end the world's population. Except me off course.)

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
    Hey, who leaked out to you the next Bond plot?!

But, the trend in population growth is slowing and some say we are in decline. Some areas have or will have soon, birth rates below what is needed to maintain population decline due to death.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...exploding.html

fukushima will take care of that in time.

That why I said "planet population". You can always find selected locations outside the norm either + or -. In any case, I don't think it has anything to do with TPTB. But!! I'd love to see some credible links that show such is the case.

One way of slowing population growth might be to raise the education levels and living standards of the general population, especially for women. As a science teacher (but not an expert on demographics), I have asked classes to discuss population growth in their own country and to think about the social, economic, cultural and religious values that may lead to higher or lower populations. Too often, peple fail to consider these.

Lead to higher population levels:
    inexpensive and available medical care
    free and universal education
    religious or cultural values for large families
    tax breaks for larger families
    and so on

Lead to lower populations:
    pretty much the opposite of the points I have mentioned

Humans can easily fool themselves concerning the results of their choices and values.