Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore Attacks Linked to Risky Human Behaviour

Default Carnivore Attacks Linked to Risky Human Behaviour

I always say, if you bet against stupid, you are going to lose.

That said, remember three cardinal rules for the wilderness experience.

1) Black bears climb trees
    2) Moose don't
    3) Grizzlies aren't supposed to.

Always save 3 rounds.....
    2 for the bears, 1 for yourself.

Always go out with a slower partner.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The word carnivore comes from the Latin "carnivorus" and loosely translated means 'Leave it the hell alone".

It appears to be that most instances of "run-ins" with wild life is that people accidently "sneak-up" on the animals. Unless you are hunting, don't be afraid to make a little noise. One doesn't need to get too carried away, just enough to let the critters know your presence and that you mean no harm.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    It appears to be that most instances of "run-ins" with wild life is that people accidently "sneak-up" on the animals. Unless you are hunting, don't be afraid to make a little noise. One doesn't need to get too carried away, just enough to let the critters know your presence and that you mean no harm.
    100% true.

When my wife and and I hiked Red Canyon there were several blind corners around large rock outcrops. The area is home to both bear and lion so clapping hands and yelling, "Hey bear", were standard to avoid sneaking up on something that might be just around the corner. As long as nothing clapped its paws and yelled back, "Hey human", we knew we were safe.

Having surprised a momma black bear with 2 cubs.....yeah....make noise. Luckily we all had an extra pair of pants.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Don't mess with Sasquatch....

I do love those commercials.

That first one is the BEST. (the vid above)
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I dunno. I sorta enjoyed the malaguena.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Part of it is not understanding animal behavior combined with doing stupid things. If you're trail running or mountain biking in mountain lion country with ear buds in and music on, well, hope you have life insurance. Those big cats are a bundle of instincts and when they see something scooting along they will chase it! You can't hear them coming and you're lunch.

Black bears are generally pretty timid, just watch out for jaw popping and pacing. Then you have trouble.

Grizzly? Stay away from them.

Sometimes, clapping your hands and calling "hey, bear" is like telling the waitress you are ready to order your meal.

I just take the girls along when I hike in bear country. The bears hear all of the laughing and chatter, then they smell all of that expensive perfume, and they think holey crap, 3 women..............no way I'm messin with them! One bite and the bear would be on perfume and body bath liquid overload!!

Hmmm.....I'll remember that......mmmm....where are there women around here?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Just wear one of these anytime you're out there - http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictu...nti+bear+suit/

I feel like, if I was really worried while on Alone, I'd make a whole pile of little sticks sharpened on both ends, them lashed together a certain way, so I could put them on myself before trekking around. So that each is 'attached' to the side of my leg for example, round and round that leg, bunches of 'em. Heh...so much trouble...I'd look positively outrageous. So fashionable.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-23-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

That would really convenient for the bear.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Keep in mind that bears in different parts of the country/world, behave differently.

Here, black bears are little b*tches. They will hassle you just because they are bored. They will come through and ransack your camp just to see what snacks they can find. They have a chip on their shoulder.

Grizzlies, are actually pretty laid back. Don't surprise them and you generally will have no trouble with them. Big and bad enough to not have any chips on their shoulders lol.

Brown bears (grizzlies that live within 100 miles of the ocean) are much larger due to the protein content of their diet, think lots of salmon. The majority of the ones you will run into are more habituated due to the denser population in the areas around the coasts. However, they have been the main culprits when it comes to maulings due to that higher population count.

Polar bears are evil. They will hunt a person down just for sport. They kill for sport even when they are not hungry. They are scary.

Do not mess with polar bears.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Aye, nobody ever sees the black bears in Alabama - they're smart enough to know that humans are bad news - but they're there. I've never heard that anyone has ever had any trouble with them. I'm sorta amazed at the restraint black bears in the Smokeys show tourists. Occasionally they'll have an incident but not nearly as often as you would expect since so many people think they're "cute".

You know.....Maybe there is something to the behavior and attacks....like having "looser", "sucker", "bait", "dumas".....or "eat me".... on your forehead?
    I heared of something like that...maybe true?