Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking tent suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by taint View Post
    The "man up" comment is a crock, for a lot of people, a lot of the time. Depending upon what you are doing, and how warm it is, you may be far better off carrying a little bivvy sack and more food and water than a big, heavy tent. Can you have a wood fire where you are going? You can have a very lw, compact set up with Mors Korchanski's "super shelter (and a fire) than you can with many a tent and no fire.
    Have to agree with the food and water.....but a good tarp will do you well.

Seem the Super shelter is cool these days.....all the bush crafters are talking them up.

Had not even heard of that term till about 6 months ago.....

So honestly , how many of these have you built and stayed in over night?
    Pic's please.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you are looking at warmth to weight... you spend the "weight" in a sleeping bag. You shouldn't be relying on your tent to keep you warm. That's called bad planning.

There are 3 season tents that do fine in snow. Look for at least 3 poles, must be aluminum, and a fly that goes all the way to the ground. A 2 fiberglass pole dome tent with a bikini fly is not a 3 season tent, more of a backyard summer time tent where you go inside when it rains.

Again, 4 season tents are not good at all in the summer. They are either not as waterproof, or they aren't as well ventilated for heavy rain and warm temperatures.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I"ve had to "live rough" several times in my life. Normally, tho, it's far more discrete to use a little alcohol stove and my setup for sleep/shelter. even better, get a college loan and buy an old mini-van to live in. It's quite feasible and far safer/more comfortable. In most areas, the supershelter/fire will get the cops sicced onto you. So what I"ve mostly done is use a dakota pit to heat rocks and bury them under my hammock, with the tyvek bags opened flat and assembled into a tent, staked down all around. if you'll wrap a big rock or a water bottle and bring it inside the SOL bivvy with you, you'll be amazed at how much it helps keep you warm. but it of course does cool off in a couple of hours and is no further help. The main thing for sleeping rough is Trazadone and then, when you wake up, a controled release Ambien. 7-8 GOOD hours of sleep make all the difference in the WORLD, folks. So does a spoonful of almond butter, followed by one of honey. :-)

I"ve had to "live rough" several times in my life. Normally, tho, it's far more discrete to use a little alcohol stove and my setup for sleep/shelter. even better, get a college loan and buy an old mini-van to live in. It's quite feasible and far safer/more comfortable. In most areas, the supershelter/fire will get the cops sicced onto you. So what I"ve mostly done is use a dakota pit to heat rocks and bury them under my hammock, with the tyvek bags opened flat and assembled into a tent, staked down all around. if you'll wrap a big rock or a water bottle and bring it inside the SOL bivvy with you, you'll be amazed at how much it helps keep you warm. but it of course does cool off in a couple of hours and is no further help. The main thing for sleeping rough is Trazadone and then, when you wake up, a controled release Ambien. 7-8 GOOD hours of sleep make all the difference in the WORLD, folks. So does a spoonful of almond butter, followed by one of honey. :-)
    The fact that you are prescribed trazodone fills in sooo many blanks.......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

it's just for extending the time for sleeping. it does nothing else at all. it's real easy to post cheap shots like that, and much harder to post actual demonstations that what i"ve said is incorrect, AINT IT?

it's just for extending the time for sleeping. it does nothing else at all.
    I am actually in pharmacology right now. I just got done studying trazadone. It is a tetracyclic antidepressant used to treat depression, usually the most severe cases at that. It is also indicated for the treatment of severe anxiety disorders and drug withdrawal. It is a SSRI and is contraindicated for those taking MAOI's and for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. It is not used for sleeping at all, although it was tested for it. The results showed that it will make people sleepy, but it does not keep asleep nor does it provide beneficial rest.

What I posted was not a cheap shot at all. You admitting that you have either severe depression or anxiety really does explain as to why you post the things you do. Perhaps you should schedule a check up with your doctor.
    Last edited by natertot; 03-03-2016 at 11:35 PM.

It's okay to attack the message but not the messenger so let's leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's okay to attack the message but not the messenger so let's leave it alone.
    I apologize, I am not trying to be attacking. The things he has posted leads me to sincerely believe it is in his best interest to follow up with his doctor. If he needs help, I hope he gets it for his own benefit. I mean him good good health and nothing mean.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

When I'm sleeping in the wilderness I need to be able to wake up if necessary. No way would I take drugs to help me sleep. Normally I am worn out plenty enough to sleep really well.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

First night out....you don't sleep at all, second night a bit better, third night....sleep like a stone.
    I find that to be pretty much true no matter where I'm at.

I can come back after a couple of weeks at "The Place"....and have a bad time in my own bed at home, the first nit back.

No drugs, unless you figure HBP or blood thinners.....or maybe a Brewski or two.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I usually take a couple vitamin I's for a good night sleep.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Camping alone in the woods I usually sleep in bits and snatches.

If in a group camp setting I sleep well and my snoring is usually the reason no one else can sleep!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

For the most light weight and effective option, I always use these things. They're smaller than a deck of cards, are made of space blanket material so they can be used in even very cold conditions, and I think right now they're like $10 off. I have like four in my BoB and two in my car's emergency kit.

For a more long term option, I have this. It's a one person tent made of a tough fiberglass frame, uses easy to manage poles with only two hoops (so it takes less than five minutes to set up), and it has a coverable mesh roof.

The main reason I like it is because it's easy to carry and weighs less than three pounds. There are also pockets inside the tent so you don't have to leave stuff on your sleeping space.

Just food for thought.

While the little space blanket things offer the ability to increase body temp a bit (the tube tent you linked to probably even a little more) I see them as a last resort use. Probably (not always) a one time use item. For a better performing, albeit a little heavier and a little more expensive I carry a couple of casualty blankets. http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-O...8902000&rid=20 For the most part I still view them as an emergency piece of my kit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    While the little space blanket things offer the ability to increase body temp a bit (the tube tent you linked to probably even a little more) I see them as a last resort use. Probably (not always) a one time use item. For a better performing, albeit a little heavier and a little more expensive I carry a couple of casualty blankets. http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-O...8902000&rid=20 For the most part I still view them as an emergency piece of my kit.
    I agree with this, but when you can get a pack for like $15 and they weigh less than a pack of cigarettes, it's crazy not to have in my opinion. Granted I'm a little wild about gear, but some thermal tent packs actually comes with cord. So it's win win. Even after you use the tent once, you can fold it back up and use it as a thermal blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    If you are looking at warmth to weight... you spend the "weight" in a sleeping bag. You shouldn't be relying on your tent to keep you warm. That's called bad planning.

There are 3 season tents that do fine in snow. Look for at least 3 poles, must be aluminum, and a fly that goes all the way to the ground. A 2 fiberglass pole dome tent with a bikini fly is not a 3 season tent, more of a backyard summer time tent where you go inside when it rains.

Again, 4 season tents are not good at all in the summer. They are either not as waterproof, or they aren't as well ventilated for heavy rain and warm temperatures.

What are you talking about? 4 season tents are not as good in the other 3 seasons? Get outta here with that. My Catoma works great any time of year, and the rainfly goes clear to the ground. The tent is rated for 70mph winds, and I have used it in 50. I have also used it in extreme heat, rain, and 5 feet of snow (see previously mentioned photos.) The tent is a beast and I can take it anywhere with confidence.

You are right though, the sleeping bag does the bulk of the duty. The Catoma tent I use was originally designed as the modern military pup tent, but done up right. It was specifically designed to work with the ECWS sleeping bag. The ECWS bag is actually 3 bags all fit inside of each other; heavy inner bag, light outer bag, and waterproof gortex bivy cover. The reason for the waterproof bivy bag on the sleeping bag is so that it won't get wet when the tent is sealed up tight and condensation forms. The bag and tent were designed to work together perfectly.

And a good 4 season tent really does make a difference when you have to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak.
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

My brother has one of those, same model. Good for 3 seasons. We took it on a wet trip once and it held up fine. Steady drizzle for 2 days. Eureka makes okay tents as long as you don't take them into that 4th season.
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

That's because it wasn't designed for winter. It's a 3 season tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    What are you talking about? 4 season tents are not as good in the other 3 seasons? Get outta here with that. My Catoma works great any time of year, and the rainfly goes clear to the ground. The tent is rated for 70mph winds, and I have used it in 50. I have also used it in extreme heat, rain, and 5 feet of snow (see previously mentioned photos.) The tent is a beast and I can take it anywhere with confidence.

You are right though, the sleeping bag does the bulk of the duty. The Catoma tent I use was originally designed as the modern military pup tent, but done up right. It was specifically designed to work with the ECWS sleeping bag. The ECWS bag is actually 3 bags all fit inside of each other; heavy inner bag, light outer bag, and waterproof gortex bivy cover. The reason for the waterproof bivy bag on the sleeping bag is so that it won't get wet when the tent is sealed up tight and condensation forms. The bag and tent were designed to work together perfectly.

And a good 4 season tent really does make a difference when you have to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak.
    Let's see, the catoma has 3 poles and a full fly. So, you just agreed with me then. It really depends on the manufacturer as to how they categorize their tents. I would call the Catoma a 3+ season tent, along with all other 3 pole dome tents with full flys. They are great in most winter weather, but maybe not Everest base camp. For that you need a real 4 season tent. http://store.eurekatent.com/high-camp-tent
    http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/...arra/tarra.php

Thing is, if you are camping below treeline in spring, summer or fall...and you have to carry the tent on your back...why would you carry 9 lbs of tent when you can carry 2? And, why would you carry that weight when it doesn't give you any added advantage, but does add a bad condensation problem?

If I found that catoma tent for less than $100, I would get one. I would only use it with my car, or as a winter tent up the canyon, but it would fill those rolls well. It would also be a good boy scout tent as well, just not for backpacking. For $400, however, I would look for a better tent.