Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backpacking tent suggestions?

I have used my Catoma down to -20. That's pretty wintery. Sure, it won't do Everest basecamp, but that's just an absurd argument you threw out there to cover the other absurd argument you posted before that.

I take the extra weight because I do this to practice survival in the wilderness. Me and my camping friends intentionally camp in the worst weather, we seek it out so we can learn all we can about surviving in those elements. I don;t mind the extra weight because I am a fat, overfed American who can use the exercise (as can most of you!)

this isn't the Camping Enthusiasts forum, it is the Wilderness Survival Forum. If you only camp in perfect 2-season weather then you are in the wrong forum.
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

Well, I guess I'll have to find another forum. Seems you have all the answers. By the way, I saw nothing absurd in either of his posts.

Yeah, I guess we have all been wasting our time.......
    Live and learn.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

In the worst of weather I seek out a nice comfy chair by the fire. But then I'm not a fat overfed American.��
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Temperature has nothing to do with it. I don't take a tent when I winter camp. I just bring the ol' gortex bivy and throw my -25F bag inside. It won't rain on me .... it's -20F.

If you are intentionally camping in the worst weather to learn if you can survive... why do you have a tent? This is the Wilderness Survival Forum, not the camping with tents enthusiasts forum.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Tried to rep you for that FM, says I have to spread the lurve.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I sure am glad that somebody has come along to learn all us rubes about what this forum is all about.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

True dat.......we all have been thrashing around in the wilderness for years, and years.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Temperature has nothing to do with it. I don't take a tent when I winter camp. I just bring the ol' gortex bivy and throw my -25F bag inside. It won't rain on me .... it's -20F.

If you are intentionally camping in the worst weather to learn if you can survive... why do you have a tent? This is the Wilderness Survival Forum, not the camping with tents enthusiasts forum.
    I've winter camped like that several times. Leaving the tent behind can save a lot of weight but then again I throw everything into a sled and haul it anyhow, easier on the knees. Tempts you to being more and heavier gear too though.