Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking tent suggestions?

Default Backpacking tent suggestions?

Any suggestions for a good and sturdy backpacking tent I can use for different seasons?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What is your climate, what is your weight limit, how big are you and what is your price range.

And what we have available here may not be available to you in Germany.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-01-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Id recommend a mountAin laurel designs duomid, with an ooksworks inner!

Are you looking for a 1 person tent?

That is such a wide open question.
    What type of backpacking do you do? (ie, do you like high mileage or do you like to walk short distances to a location and park it for the rest of the day/days)
    How many people need to fit inside?
    What seasons?

For a recommendation on a certain brand, Hilleberg is known for quality and is most likely available in Germany.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Get as cammo tarp and some 550 parachord!!

I need a little more info to help you out. I have learned when it comes to backpacking, cheap is heavy and it leaks while expensive is light and keeps you dry. Because of this, I have reverted to Wildthings method. I use a 8x10 (about a 2.5x3 meter) tarp, paracord, ten aluminum stakes, and a handful of guy-line tensioner. This all runs for about $20 total and it can be configured in numerous ways, including having fires close or even within the shelter. It is cheap, light, and keeps you dry. Works for me.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I need a little more info to help you out. I have learned when it comes to backpacking, cheap is heavy and it leaks while expensive is light and keeps you dry. Because of this, I have reverted to Wildthings method. I use a 8x10 (about a 2.5x3 meter) tarp, paracord, ten aluminum stakes, and a handful of guy-line tensioner. This all runs for about $20 total and it can be configured in numerous ways, including having fires close or even within the shelter. It is cheap, light, and keeps you dry. Works for me.
    And you can use natural stuff to beef up your "tent" (like fire reflectors, thermal walls, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    And you can use natural stuff to beef up your "tent" (like fire reflectors, thermal walls, etc.).
    You can, but often times it isn't necessary. I have learned a tent will always be a tent, but a tarp can be a tent or a multitude of other things. Bolstering a shelter with natural materials that are around can be a bonus, making a good thing even better.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Generally when backpacking, you want to spend less time making a shelter and more time walking or exploring or fishing, etc. Of course, there are those who backpack short distances to spend more time sitting at camp. With that said, personally, I like a tent that doesn't take a lot of time to set up or take down. Currently I use a tarp and an inner net tent.

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Have you considered a hammock? They are both bed and shelter. With the right accessories, rain fly, mosquito netting, underquilt they are usable all 4 seasons. If you have the trees to hang one from.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Prolly a 2-person tent, that which is sturdy and ideal for winter camping. Should be a bit warm on the inside but capable of enduring strong air currents on the outside.

I haven't tried it but I think this would work good .

http://www.campsaver.com/flite-2-per...=LST+feb+23+16

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_boxler View Post
    Prolly a 2-person tent, that which is sturdy and ideal for winter camping. Should be a bit warm on the inside but capable of enduring strong air currents on the outside.
    First, I would question your need for a winter tent. Most people can do just fine with a 3 season tent in the winter, and most backpackers don't really backpack in the winter. And, most people who do backpack in the winter have a 3 season tent, and a winter tent. There are reasons for this. A 4 season tent generally makes a poor tent choice for the other 3 seasons. They should be called 1 season tents. Yes, you can use them in other seasons, but a 3 season tent is a better choice.

If you really need something for strong winds, you should really look at the Hillebergs. http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/2-person.php That is their US distribution website, but they are a European brand, so you will be able to find them in Germany. They are renowned for their sturdiness and price tag.

If you want a tent that will work any season, a real man's tent, then go with a Catoma.
    3 season tents are for girlscouts.

https://www.catomaoutdoor.com/defaul...ookieSupport=1

Here is a nice pic of mine in the snow. I fear no weather in my Catoma. Actually, between the ECWS bag and the Catoma, we look for bad weather to camp in. HPIM2489.jpg
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

Now this is camping
    My Catoma as a snowgloo
    20150102_171035.jpg
    RottenApplePublishing

RottenApplePublishing

Here is my old Condor in the snow. Dunno if they still make tents, 4 season anyhow.
    Get a 4 season tent
    get twice the space needed (get a 2 man tent for one man)
    Man up about the extra weight
    20150102_170858.jpg
    RottenApplePublishing

more snow in the Catoma. Sealed up the tent holds about 53 degrees when you are out of your sleeping bag. Short sleeve weather in 5 feet of snow.ralphrotteninthesnow.jpg
    RottenApplePublishing

The "man up" comment is a crock, for a lot of people, a lot of the time. Depending upon what you are doing, and how warm it is, you may be far better off carrying a little bivvy sack and more food and water than a big, heavy tent. Can you have a wood fire where you are going? You can have a very lw, compact set up with Mors Korchanski's "super shelter (and a fire) than you can with many a tent and no fire.