Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your knife, does it have a saw spine, or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth Rick !

Get quality tools - your life will depend on them !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I picked up a folding saw used at a flea market several years ago for 2 bucks and love the thing. I don't even know what brand it is but it cuts like a laser !
    Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Just because it is no name doesn't mean it lacks quality. Same is true that because it is a name brand doesn't mean it is good quality either.

My favorite machete is a no name, made in Brazil, that I got at a garage sale for $5. Likewise, I spent $35 on a Gerber machete that I could really care less about.
    Psssst, Nate... I was giving him a bad time, two consecutive posts, two different points of view

LOL...Trick is to find the good tools at yard sales and flea markets.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No saw backs or serrated blades except for a bread knife serrations (blade side or spine side) are in my opinion a useless addition to a knife.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have a Becker BK2.
    No saw back just one big hunking 1/4 inch carbon blade knife.
    I plan to do some mods to it in the very near future.
    Time to remove the rest of that crappy black coating.

That's true, a name brand doesn't mean it is good quality either.

I prefer to use my old Makita tools they are really good enough

Did you honestly think we wouldn't know you created two accounts? Dumb.

Whassup with diversity? Are you discriminating against those with multiple personalities? What if all the different personalities identify as one person? Imma have to report this!

Alan

At least he had somebody to talk to.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We will be happy to hear your complaint. You will need to talk to our complaint mgr. He..no wait...she...no...they...them...oh, crap...just show up and start yelling. Someone will take care of you.

Heh, that's one of me favorite office jokes on-the-wall.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Wow Nice one The drawback allowed for the pulling of barbed wire and other engineering tasks associated with trench warfare. These bayonets didn't gain too much popularity until Germany made a lot of them in WWI. Since then, saw-backs have been incorporated in many bayonets and knives.

Well I have owned a hell of a lot of knives in my lifetime, and I indeed had knives with serrated blades, well technically I still have some of them, I just rarely ever use them. I find that the serrated/saw portion of the knife is not only too short to be of any real use, but that it also gets in the way doing Bushcraft tasks, not to mention they can be a real !@#$% to sharpen. The only real time I use that kind of knife blade is when I am kayaking or sailing.

I agree with someone that posted that gear /tools with multipurpose tend to have many features but none of them as good as the real McCoy. There are some exceptions.

I bring with me 3 knives, a neck knife, my main Bushcraft/survival knife, and my Swiss Army Swiss Champ. The saw on the Swiss Champ is long enough and definitely sharp enough to do the job at hand. As a fall back I use a lightweight Hand chainsaw or a workable Commando wire saw.(workable~ meaning a majority of them suck)

Someone mentioned they had no need for pliers or screwdrivers in the wilderness. I would agree that for most people and most situations they are not needed or not going to help I should say. I personally am an electronic and computer technician which I learned after going to college for Engineering, and I also fix camping gear, so I end up using practically all of the multiple tools of the Swiss Army knife, whether it's to fix my headlamp or flashlight, or stove or lantern, or my radio. But if you don't have the know how to fix something then there is no point carrying the tools for it.

1860 uh that's when they started making serrated knives did not know. SO when did they start having the army knives where you have a hole in the knife that fits into the sheath and used like shears to cut barbed wire?