Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your knife, does it have a saw spine, or no?

Default Your knife, does it have a saw spine, or no?

Currently I carry 3 knives with me out hiking and camping. 2 have saw backings, they're typical el cheapo knives, then a small folder knife I disassembled and attached to my ferro rod hanging on my neck. I was curious to what you use your knife for; hacking, slicing, etc,. And if you do not have a saw spine on your knife how do you go about tasks?

I live in a region where 3 different deserts come together, and use my knife mostly for splitting/sawing and skinning. I'm thinking about purchasing the SOG SE-38 N-Force knives, but curious as to how your knife is used according to your climate and conditions.

I want to remove the handle of the knife and paracord wrap it, and incorporate a Tablespoon into it as a bearing for a bow-drill, any ideas?

Any tool that does multiple tasks generally doesn't do any of them very well. If you want to saw purchase a saw.
    If you find yourself in a bad situation do you want to rely on an "el cheapo" knife? There are excellent high quality inexpensive knives on the market. Mora being one.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I dislike saw back knives. In my experience they are too short to be an efficient saw and mess up the clean lines of the back of the blade, catching on things. I agree with Rick, If you want to saw something, buy a saw! There are good folding saws out there at reasonable prices, Check out archery/tree stand equipment.
    Geezer Squad #2

Perfectly fine with my Leatherman Wave with saw and separate locking blade. The Sog you mention is huge and far too big for my needs as I did carry something similar years ago. Depends on what you need it for.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

You bring 3 knives with you.... That means you aren't looking for the "1 tool option".
    I carry 3 knives with me, a large knife (to me anyways, CS SRK), a medium knife (Helle, think Mora size), and a multitool (which has a real saw).
    I also carry a folding saw. I have never seen a saw on the back of a knife that was that great of a saw.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I have a saw back on my home made knife......because I made it out of a industrial saw blade....
    Ugly as sin, use it for digging dandelions and weed out of the garden.

I don't "hack" anything but may slice and dice potatoes, onions or a steak .... Green river, Buck or Mora do just fine.

Don't consider the el-cheapo Harbor Freight Knife for anything.....they stay on the display at Harbor Freight. ....but is available if needed for $7.95 on sale and is a total POS.

My carry knives are 3-4" belt fixed blade "hunting knife", small clip folder, and a SAK.
    If cutting wood, a small belt ax is on my hunting fanny pack......but breaking it over my knee or crotch of a tree works as well.

For a saw I have several 18" Stihl chainsaws.....

SAK and a Mora is all you are gonna need.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My knife slices, dices, chunks, shreds, saws through bone, opens car bodies, mows down forests with a singe swipe and never heeds sharpening.

And you can have one too! Only 3 payments of $13.33!

But wait, if you act now you can get two, and they wil include a sharpener you will never need and a set of steak knives!

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ZZ42Irxng
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-01-2016 at 01:36 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No sawbacks for me.

A small folding saw will take care of any sawing needs I might encounter.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I believe the saw spine originated on the ARMY/Air force survival knife. It was to be used to "saw" through the thin aluminum aircraft body to escape a downed aircraft. It really wasn't meant to saw wood.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No saw backs or serrated blades for me!!!

I don't have knives I use that have saw backs. I have a saw on my Leatherman Supertool 300 and I carry a Silky folding saw in my pack.

If you baton a saw back blade you will make a wreck of the baton in short order. If you ever want to bear down or choke up on a sawback it will not be comfortable.

You can do more way in the way of bushcraft with a plain edge and where your serrations are on the knife you linked to is where your going to want a plain edge in certain bushcraft.

DW said, "No more helo's or airplanes, you have enough stuff parked all over"....so I don't need the sawback.....

I have a Gerber Jr machete that has a saw back. It's long enough that you can actually get a good sawing motion with it. I sawed some bamboo lengths the other day using it. I only take it out in the field when I know I need it.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    I believe the saw spine originated on the ARMY/Air force survival knife. It was to be used to "saw" through the thin aluminum aircraft body to escape a downed aircraft. It really wasn't meant to saw wood.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    No sir. "Sawbacks" were originally on European bayonets in the 1860's in response to trench warfare. The sawback allowed for the pulling of barbed wire and other engineering tasks associated with trench warfare. These bayonets didn't gain too much popularity until Germany made a lot of them in WWI. Since then, saw backs have been incorporated in many bayonets and knives.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have never seen a saw backed knife that had any kerf to the saw teeth. Making it inefficient.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I tried out somebodies saw backed knife once. Elements of knives and saws combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Any tool that does multiple tasks generally doesn't do any of them very well. If you want to saw purchase a saw.
    If you find yourself in a bad situation do you want to rely on an "el cheapo" knife? There are excellent high quality inexpensive knives on the market. Mora being one.
    You took the words right out of my mouth Rick !

Get quality tools - your life will depend on them !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    No sawbacks for me.

A small folding saw will take care of any sawing needs I might encounter.

S.M.
    I picked up a folding saw used at a flea market several years ago for 2 bucks and love the thing. I don't even know what brand it is but it cuts like a laser !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth Rick !

Get quality tools - your life will depend on them !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I picked up a folding saw used at a flea market several years ago for 2 bucks and love the thing. I don't even know what brand it is but it cuts like a laser !

Sooo, Which is it.....Quality tools?....or flea market no-name?...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Sooo, Which is it.....Quality tools?....or flea market no-name?...LOL
    Just because it is no name doesn't mean it lacks quality. Same is true that because it is a name brand doesn't mean it is good quality either.

My favorite machete is a no name, made in Brazil, that I got at a garage sale for $5. Likewise, I spent $35 on a Gerber machete that I could really care less about.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten