Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clothes washing...Wash board.

Default Clothes washing...Wash board.

Being off the grid....or in a bug out situation, after a week of so, washing clothes may become a issue.

Been touched on before....but today happened on a You tube dealing with a wash board being used.

For your review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=duJr4owjpOE

We actually used this method back in the big flood days or 2007-2008 out at "The Place" to get the heavy slick mud out of my jeans and socks etc......

Most everyone I know that has a few antiques hanging on the wall (DW says "Junk")...washboards seem real popular, and inexpensive....selling at antique stores for $10 buck or so....Flea markets even less.

Then if you really want to impress the "little lady" a clamp on wringer is a cool addition.....LOL
    Beats beating the clothes on a rock at the river.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Very cool find there Hunter. When we "prep" or whatever you wanna call it, a few things do tend to fly under the radar. Laundry is one of them for sure. This method seems to be rather inexpensive and practical way. Good reminder!

On another note, I am thinking of "things" for the kids to do this summer that gets them away from electronics and gets them to learn something. I may add this to the list and have a "laundry day"!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

We were rather well to do back in the day. We had an electric ringer. A word of caution. You do NOT want to stick your fingers in an electric ringer. It's real similar to the end of your tie landing in the slot of the shredder. Just trust me on that.

Visits to my grandparents had me using the manual ringer that was attached to the washer. Believe me when I say, a manual ringer will do the same damage to fingers as an electric when your "partner" keeps cranking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You'll notice in my avatar I'm still carrying that arm around. It's truly a wonder we're still alive. I've gone through probably 7 or 8 guardian angels. The rest quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You'll notice in my avatar I'm still carrying that arm around. It's truly a wonder we're still alive. I've gone through probably 7 or 8 guardian angels. The rest quit.
    Now ain't that the truth......

Kinda disquieting when that angel is hear saying under their breath....."WTH...Now what?"

I'm not a fan of vertical washboards. I know that women have used them for many years. I like a horizontal washboard about 24 x 18 and a table where I can stand up and use my body weight on the brush and board. Almost always, I've used a concrete tub and scrub board/table made for that purpose. I like to see the dirty spots and scrub them rather than have them submerged in water and just guess that they are probably clean enough. I like brushes. Presoak helps a lot. I've never used hot water. Never seen anyone that did nowdays. I'd rather not do a family's weeks worth of clothes on a tiny wash board bending over a cereal bowl or even a bathtub and expect to be done in the near future. Big containers are good. Washing clothes by hand should take about the same time that a machine does or much less and is not as hard as stacking wood. The clothes come out much cleaner. It takes about the same amount of water or less. I'm not going to get rid of my washing machine though. But, I've washed plenty by hand.

EDR, you have some good points there. When these things were commonly used, people did not where the amount of clothing that we do today. Most folks had one set of "church clothes" and only a few sets of everyday clothes. Typically, every few weeks the ladies of the house had a laundry day where all the clothes were washed, the bedding got aired out, and the rugs were beat. Bathing was not as frequent either, perhaps once or twice a week. I couldn't imagine washing all the clothes and bedding we have now via this method. Short term, it will help in emergencies such as a power outage. I think most people would just pack up to a laundry-mat though.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Remember too that washing is a balance between getting clothes clean and wearing them out. Washing, especially scrubbing, is tough on material. If it weren't there wouldn't be a lot of lint in the dryer. Now think about how much lint goes down the drain from the washing machine and you'll have a pretty good idea how much cloth fiber you just removed from your clothes. Washing, or the lack thereof as Nater pointed out, was also about saving material not only because of cost but because many times it was not easy to acquire and had to be sewn.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    On another note, I am thinking of "things" for the kids to do this summer that gets them away from electronics and gets them to learn something. I may add this to the list and have a "laundry day"!
    Here's another idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASyhJ0lRIU0

EDR, your comments ring true and from some one that has been there a done it.
    Most people have no idea who much work went into all the little chores that we take for granted everyday.

Have been a fan of old tools and appliances, since watching grandparents making soap, and using hand tools,... if for no reason to try out, and see if I can get then to work properly....the little details of wash boards is a good example.
    Thanks for the insight.

No wonder that didn't have Facebook back then....no time.
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.

I am biased to a method I was accustomed to. Besides prefering a flat surface, I especially don't like being bent over as in the video. I see that you cured that problem with your saw horses in your picture.
    I am used to putting the presoaked piece of clothing out flat, brushing, scrubbing and then rinsing with a couple bowls of water. Best done in a box ( usually cement) with low walls that drains very slowly. But, rocks and tables work.
    I have known a woman who could wash a mountain of clothes in a river for a family of 7 in well under two hours. A few others, perhaps all day. Most are faster than a washing machine.
    Usually, I have found that clothes washing time can be quite relaxing. Especially if I have a chair and I am sitting far enough away so as not to get splashed on.

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Usually, I have found that clothes washing time can be quite relaxing. Especially if I have a chair and I am sitting far enough away so as not to get splashed on.
    Enjoying a brewski also helps....just don't say "you missed a spot" as it could end painfully.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Especially if rocks are involved.

Well, some one had to run the camera ......and it was still coffee time.

BTW I did use that wringer to squeeze out some sorghum for syrup on year....That was a chore.
    I know not the correct cane crusher or roller...but did work...got about a quart of kinda green with "bits of stuff" in it....but was sweet.

Like I said , I like trying things out (good to know how)....but do find that "the old ways" are like anything else......They are real work, do them often enough, you get good at it....or you get good at something else...and trade or by what you need.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You were supposed to strain the stuff out of the sorghum and boil it down for a day or two Hunter!

It's not ready to eat until it strings off the stirring paddle just right.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tried to strain it.....wouldn't go thru the cheese cloth just sorta stayed there.....lost about 1/2 of it, in a sticky mess in the cloth.

Need to work out some bugs...or a least pick them out.

When to the farmers market and bought a pint for about $6 bucks.

in the 60's ma had one of those elec wringer washers and yeah i stuck my fingers in the rollers
    how fast it pulled in my arm. was a real experience did'nt do twice i was about seven at the time.
    i have a dbl,tub on legs with a hand wringer just like the one hunter has in the photo plus 4 scrub boards one is even glass.
    post shtf i want to find some laundrymaids/fieldhands to help out around the place.

Just out of curiosity. Do folks around your parts call you Spud?

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    just out of curiosity. Do folks around your parts call you spud?
    ouch!!!!!!!!!lol
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)