Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best fieldcraft/survival knife? cold steel bushman

You know It was really hard to read all the survival tips touted by Blade II......I mean beside a crappy spell checker.

Maybe his next learning experience should be navigation?.....
    FTR works well for me (Follow The Road)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I suppose, to be fair, if you are lost in Kentucky, walk in a small circle for a long time it might seem like you are 50 miles from civilization. But, yeah, that navigation training might be a good start for him.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I suppose, to be fair, if you are lost in Kentucky, walk in a small circle for a long time it might seem like you are 50 miles from civilization. But, yeah, that navigation training might be a good start for him.
    Navigation in KY??

1. Sit down on a rock or log.

2. Shut your mouth for 30 seconds.

3. Walk toward the sound of traffic in the distance.

Alternative method;

1. Take out compass and shoot an azimuth.

2. Walk in a straight line until hit a road, seldom more that two or three miles.

3. Wait for a car to come by and jump up and down. People, in KY will still stop to see what the problem is and call the cops for you. (of course they have a gun in their hand down by the car door where you can't see it)

The other alternative is to wait for dark and climb a tall tree, then look for the "golden arches" or Walmart Supercenter lit up in the distance. If you mark the direction and leave at daylight you can probably get to the Micky D while they are still serving breakfast.

Now there are lots of places where you can go and just sit alone in the woods without being bothered for as long as you like. But that is not lost, and it is not survival.

We call that camping!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

The other alternative is to wait for dark and climb a tall tree, then look for the "golden arches" or Walmart Supercenter lit up in the distance. If you mark the direction and leave at daylight you can probably get to the Micky D while they are still serving breakfast.
    !

That was funny!

But sadly that is the case just about anywhere East of Denver. Thanks for the laugh!
    "Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you never get it wrong." - Anonymous Talkatus 260 B.C.

Hey, I'm trying to give Mace a break. Maybe he's deaf and can't hear cars. Maybe he lost a boot and was walking in circles. Maybe he had no compass. Maybe he was singing the Green Anaconda song. Green anaconda...green anaconda. Now that will be in your head all day.

Oh, he's missing a compass, alright. I hope he finds it, and realizes he doesn't have to impress to get along.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why not just sharpen the stick?
    That's what I said - "If you want to throw a spear, use the knife to carve a point, then fire harden the point and throw that."
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

That's a bit of an unfair comparison though. An actual bladed broad pointed spear of the sort obtainable using such a knife as a point is an entirely different implement than an un-bladed wooden point, hardened or not. They have wholly different capabilities.

The argument against risking loss or damage to an important tool and the suitability of that tool compared to another for a given purpose should not be conflated.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

If you throw the whole stick instead of just the point it will fly better, further, have a better chance of taking down your target.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, good grief. You win this round.

Wow, this surviving stuff is ....Hard.....

Even harder if you aren't all that bright.....Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
    Takes all kinds.

Guess you have to "Ax" yourself....are you better prepared that a 7 years old girl?

http://nypost.com/2015/01/02/little-...h-in-kentucky/

It seems that 7 years old is the mark for successful survival in the KY wilderness.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/crews-searc...gorge/35743612

I guess this means that if one is over that age surviving for any length of time is not a real big bragging point as long as the weather is not bad and the temperatures remain tolerable.

And these kids did not even have the benefit of a BK-anything or their own "Battle Mistress".

I'll take a 7 year old with good sense as a camping partner over a loud mouth "know it all" any day.

BTW, do you know what the first thing most kids do when they hit the woods? They pick up a stick, and that stick becomes a very important part of their experience from that point on. It is almost instinctively bred into us over the last 2 million years.

The next thing they do is try to find an adult who will sharpen the end of it for them!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

BTW, do you know what the first thing most kids do when they hit the woods? They pick up a stick, and that stick becomes a very important part of their experience from that point on. It is almost instinctively bred into us over the last 2 million years.

The next thing they do is try to find an adult who will sharpen the end of it for them!
    I still do....

Are the adults willing to sharpen that thing and turn you lose with it?

As long as he doesn't run with it......that whole "you could put an eye out" thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Naw, that was the Red Ryder BB gun.....LOL

Either way it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Then its time for look like a pirate day.......just don't scratch with the hook.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    As long as he doesn't run with it......that whole "you could put an eye out" thing.
    Run, Huh?.....Not much running......these days.

So will I put my eye out..... "shuffling?".......Or just have a "Oh Ship" moment.

Usually put a rubber tip on the sticks these days....makesa good quite walking stick...

Just read this thread...........OMG