Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural objects that can aid survival situations?

Default Natural objects that can aid survival situations?

What are some natural objects/items that can be found in the wild, and what can they be used for? List as many as you can.

Some examples,
    Sap -glue
    Feather, -fletching
    Coconut, -cup/bowl

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.......
    There is an intro section if you would care to say Hello at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Lots of things are area specific....No coconuts in Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

A rock= something to sit on
    A rock= something to use for a hammer
    A rock= something to break into a cutting edge
    A rock= something to make a circle around the fire
    A rock= something to throw at sasquatch
    A rock= something for sasquatch to throw at you
    A rock= makings for stone soup
    A rock= something to build a house with

How far do we go with this?

And don't get me started on trees.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KYRS, now we have to start listing for sticks.

Stick = spear
    Stick = arrow
    Stick = bow
    Stick = staff
    Stick = splint
    Stick = pack frame
    Stick = roaster spit
    Stick = tent frame
    Stick = practice sword
    Stick = shelter frame
    Stick = fire material
    Stick = hole digger
    Stick = fishing pole
    Stick = knife handle
    Stick = axe handle
    Stick = paddle
    Stick = canoe frame
    Stick = cane/crutches

The best toys for kids...... rocks and sticks. Just sayin..

Of course, like Hunter said.... I have been to places with no sticks....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

OMG....No Sticks?....What did you do.....Must have been terrible.

Wood - fire, tools
    Bone - tools
    Skins - clothing
    Plant fiber - rope, fire starting
    Clay - pots/containers
    Water - speaks for itself
    More water - ditto
    Stone - tools, projectile points
    Sand - water filters
    Did I mention water ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Water + powdered eggs = breakfast
    Water + instant oatmeal = more breakfast
    Water + coffee = a much better breakfast
    All of the above plus a can of Yoders bacon = the best breakfast.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Thanks for the welcoming hunter69 for some reason my phone doesn't want to quote.

Anyone have any serious replies? This is for a free wilderness survival game in development that's still on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by wilder View Post
    Anyone have any serious replies? This is for a free wilderness survival game in development that's still on paper.
    I kinda guess it was something like that....get a few post like yours every once in a while.....
    But you should know they most all here do take survival seriously, and it's not a game.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t-s-Not-a-Game

Actually most all post were pretty much on the mark if you take them at face value.......abet a tad silly......but then again, the question was very short, curt and really didn't get into much detail......
    You don't pick your survival scenario....that would be a planned activity.......I happens to you.
    Hunter63

With this bunch one of the things you never do is post the first half of a knock-knock joke, it will go on forever.

Besides, like Hunter says, the answers are all accurate, you just don't like them.

Many of us are where we are with a skill set today because we were poor kids that only had a stick, clump of tangled kite string and a pocket knife to keep us entertained.

Now we have a 60 year collection of pocket knives, a garage full of power tools, a 500 foot roll of 550 cord and absolutely zero supervision.

Words well spoken Kyrat.

As mentioned, you don't get to pick your situation and what is available to you. IMHO, adaptability is the number one thing that will help you out.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

That's what's sad about it.

While it may be "convenient" to have all of the answers you desire in one location, all of the answers you seek are in the multitude of threads on this forum. Some of them are even stickies to make it easier for you to find. As has been said - we often get these sort of request so that "research" is easy. Sometime something worth doing is something worth working for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's what's sad about it.
    What's sad about what?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

When I was a kid, my dad bought a big huge ball of twine. We would go off into the undeveloped areas of the suburb and make things with sticks, rocks and twine. In the wilderness, you have rocks and you have plants. The majority of what our ancestors did, and what present day aboriginal societies still do is make 99% of their stuff from rocks and plants. The other 1% is from animals. And, actually, 99% of the stuff we make now is from rocks and plants, computers being one of those things.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I fear Wilder is upset with us because we are not taking him seriously. After all, he is creating a GAME and that is serious work.

One of the things I keep in the shed, alongside the fertilizer, barbed wire and garden tools is a big roll of twine that is used in the old style hay bailers.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...e?cm_vc=-10005

There is a whole half mile of it and I use it for a multitude of things from emergency repairs to tying tomato plants to the stakes.

That is also a hold over from my misspent youth when I would raid my uncles dairy barn loft for the cut twine from the hay bales. He would hang it on the rafters and save it for me. We would twist it and braid it into larger ropes and make monkey bridges and other nonsense.

It is a natural material, although not in its natural state, but it did teach me to make rope/cordage and the hours it took to make a 300 foot rope from it probably kept me out of reform school with idle minds being the devil's workshop and all that.

Dad was kind enough to let me whitewash trees and dig dandelions to keep me on the straight and narrow. Okay, a bit less curvy road than might otherwise have been had. Probably a zillion ants were whitewashed climbing up those trees.

Grew up in a small town.....had woods, streams, lakes and a "mound" small mountain that sticks up in the middle of flat land...Glacier remains stuff. ....all in bicycle riding distance.

Rocks and sticks were always around,.... and I can't remember too many times that we played in the woods that a stick wasn't the first "pick up off the ground"....
    Tool....walking stick, spear, sword, digging stick....something in your hand.

Rocks were most likely next......"arrow heads"....or a rock that kinda looked like one....skipping rocks, sling shot ammo, and just throwing stones.

Sap....if you ever tried to get that off your hands....yeah, maybe glue.....

Point is when you need something, you look around to see what "You Have" ...to do... "What you need to do"...at this time...with that.
    Lists are good to give you ideas of what you may be able to use things for.....but if you have to bring it along....it's the same as packing gear.

Good luck on the "game"......

When I was a senior in high school I used to play a computer game called Zork. You wandered around an Underground Empire picking up seemingly useless things that were never used for their purpose intended. For instance, if you ate the clove of garlic rather than carry it with you at just the right time, a giant bat would swoop down "Fweep fweep fweep" and carry you off too..... The Gas Room. Boom! You have died. Replay?

Did I mention it was a text adventure. No pictures, no movies. Just words and typing. Lots of typing.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant