Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Events that can lead to serious situations?

Default Events that can lead to serious situations?

What are some minuscule events that can lead to more serious survival situations?

Some examples,
    Small cut
    Snow blindness
    Drinking untreated water
    Sweating while cold temps

A rock - from your other thread that hits you in the head
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you in the eye
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you in the back
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you on the foot
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you in the ear
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you in the family jewels
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you on the hand
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you in the mouth
    A rock - from your other thread that hits you.............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Generally it starts with "hey ya'll, watch this!"
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Sticks and stones may break your bones........

...and that should be "Hey, Y'all, Hold my beer and watch this ship"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by wilder View Post
    What are some minuscule events that can lead to more serious survival situations?

Some examples,
    Small cut
    Snow blindness
    Drinking untreated water
    Sweating while cold temps
    The last three I can attest to, and it can get real serious fast if you are alone. Being snow blind when by yourself will also make you feel like a helpless fool.
    "Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you never get it wrong." - Anonymous Talkatus 260 B.C.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had one major disaster that began with a girl smiling at me from across the room!

I have looked in a mirror and should have known there was something wrong right off.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

It usually starts out, "Does this dress make me look fat?"

Grizzly bear.....or answer the question......grizzly bear.....or answer the question......come here, bear.

I believe that the most common miniscule thing that gets people screwed is complacency. The thought of not taking the right gear "because it will never happen to me" to not keeping the right mind when using a knife or walking down the trail. Every issue seems to stem from not taking the task at hand with the right mental focus.

Just my experience.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I had one major disaster that began with a girl smiling at me from across the room!

I have looked in a mirror and should have known there was something wrong right off.
    Was alcohol involved?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Was alcohol involved?
    I hope so.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I hope so.....
    For her sake....
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Things which can go to hell in a couple of hours or a day
    Bee or Insect Stings - possible allergic reaction leading to anaphylactic shock.
    Plant contact dermatitis - same as above
    Snow Blindness
    Hypothermia
    Hyperthermia
    Drowning (flash flood) or misreading that small creek or stream crossing
    Succumbing to the forces of gravity
    Altitude Sickness
    Snakebite
    Lightning strike - can come out of a blue sky
    Heart attack
    The most common - Ego bigger than common sense - showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazer
    Succumbing to the forces of gravity

I've found that this one actually takes years before things turn bad. It's called getting old. My pants seem to fall into that category as well. Of course, my pants just seem to fall...so....

Uhh did we skip the obvious?

A tick bite...

Ticks are a vector for diseases: As ticks bite one host after another, diseases can spread to pets, humans, and other hosts. While Lyme disease is the most well known of the tick-borne illnesses, ticks can also carry other diseases that may cause harm to you or your pet.

Lyme disease

Transmitted by deer ticks, Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria; left untreated, the disease can cause lameness, joint pains, and kidney problems. In the initial stages, symptoms include fevers, lethargy, and skin rashes. Lyme disease affects both people and animals, and can be treated with antibiotics.

Rocky Mountain spotted fever

Bacteria cause this disease, which can affect both humans and dogs. Rocky Mountain spotted fever is carried by American dog and lone star ticks—pets and humans bit by a tick carrying this disease may develop a rash and fever may develop. Don’t be fooled by the name: Ticks carrying this illness can live throughout the United States. Most commonly, cases of Rocky Mountain spotted fever are reported between the months of May and October; the disease can be treated with antibiotics.

Tick paralysis

Toxins within a tick's saliva are capable of causing paralysis to dogs, and more rarely, to cats. Initially a pet’s legs will get weak, but if untreated, the paralysis can spread to the torso. Tick paralysis is associated with the Rocky Mountain wood tick and American dog tick. Removing the tick will generally resolve tick paralysis; if the tick is not removed promptly, tick paralysis can be fatal.

Ehrlichiosis

Caused by a small organism transmitted by the brown dog tick. Antibiotics can generally resolve this disease, although if it progresses to a chronic stage, it can become incurable. Symptoms include lethargy, fever, and discharge.

Babesiosis

This disease, spread by the brown dog and American dog tick, can impact all mammals although it’s more commonly seen in dogs. Puppies tend to get the disease more frequently, and with more extreme symptoms. The major symptoms of babesiosis are lethargy, fever, and enlarged lymph nodes, although cats often show no symptoms. While this disease can be treated with antibiotics, some dogs become carriers, capable of infecting ticks and further spreading the disease.

Tularemia

Also known as rabbit fever, Tularemia decimated the Gold Rush amongst Americans, Symptoms include lethargy, fever, appetite loss, and enlarged lymph nodes. It’s difficult to diagnose tularemia, but cases caught early can be successfully treated with antibiotics.

Cytauxzoonosis

This potentially lethal disease attacks cats only; dogs and humans are not impacted. As with other tick-caused diseases, the symptoms are typically lethargy and a fever. If caught early, cytauxzoonosis can be treated, although the fatality rate is quite high in general.

Pay close attention if your pet becomes enervated or runs a fever after a tick bite or being outside during tick season—these are common symptoms of many tick-borne illnesses. While not all tick bites lead to diseases, bites should be treated very seriously and ticks should be removed promptly from pets.

Mosquitoes cause more human suffering than any other organism -- over one million people worldwide die from mosquito-borne diseases every year. Not only can mosquitoes carry diseases that afflict humans, they also transmit several diseases and parasites that dogs and horses are very susceptible to. These include dog heartworm, West Nile virus (WNV) and Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE). In addition, mosquito bites can cause severe skin irritation through an allergic reaction to the mosquito's saliva - this is what causes the red bump and itching. Mosquito vectored diseases include protozoan diseases, i.e., malaria, filarial diseases such as dog heartworm, and viruses such as dengue, encephalitis and yellow fever. CDC Travelers' Health provides information on travel to destinations where human-borne diseases might be a problem.

Malaria
    Chikungunya
    Dog Heartworm
    Dengue
    Yellow Fever
    Eastern Equine Encephalitis
    St. Louis Encephalitis
    LaCrosse Encephalitis
    Western Equine Encephalitis
    West Nile Virus
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-11-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've found that this one actually takes years before things turn bad. It's called getting old. My pants seem to fall into that category as well. Of course, my pants just seem to fall...so....[/COLOR]
    A couple years ago I was teaching the scouts how to slide on a frozen lake. You get a good running start and then glide effortlessly across. Gravity decided to teach me a lesson.... I am not as young as I used to be. No more sliding for me.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

We are all paying our gravity bill one way or another....but eventually gravity will take over, and suck you into Mother Earth....

I have a lot more caution about ticks than I did in the past. Known people who had lyme disease. One thing that kids always seem to want to do is knock down dead trees. They start with small ones and end up with trying to push down rotten 20 footers with tops that can break out easily when they start pushing them back and forth. Kinda scary. Best to warn them ahead of time.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

As I have gotten well into Geezer status, Gravity has become my most common and most serious cause of trouble, witness my accident back in August that had me hospitalized for five weeks, with two spinal surgeries. I have realized that most of the falls come from moving too fast and getting too much body mass ahead of my feet and legs while walking too fast. It takes real concentration to slow down!
    Geezer Squad #2

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just standing up puts too much body mass in front of my feet and legs!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm on my third day of influenza and I wonder what I would have done had I been out in the wilderness by myself. The last two nights I woke up shivering and shaking uncontrollably. The first night my clothes were drenched and I had to take a hot bath to stop from shaking. The second night my wife snuggled me enough to warm me up to go make a hot drink for myself.

How do you prepare for something like this? Granted I only get sick like that once very few years, so the chances of it happening when I am out is unlikely. Still something to think about....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk