Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minie Balls

Default Minie Balls

Had some questions about percussion-type muzzleloaders:

1. Can you use minie ball style bullets in percussion guns? If so, what is your favorite one to use (link if possible, please)?
    2. Do you use a patch when loading them?
    3. Minie ball vs. lead ball for deer hunting?
    4. Is a minie ball as versatile for hunting, target shooting, and other applications as the lead ball?

If you could answer these questions and add any more info you have, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zack; 01-24-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacture of the gun you plan on using

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Had some questions about modern percussion-type muzzleloaders:

1. Can you use minie ball style bullets in modern percussion guns? If so, what is your favorite one to use (link if possible, please)?
    I don't use mini balls in modern in-line precession......Usually.
    I would suppose you could, but sabots shoot pretty good, and as you only have one shot (hunting)....make the most of it, if possible

2. Do you use a patch when loading them?
    Round balls are patched, mini balls normally not patched, they depend on a expanding base for the seal.

3. Minie ball vs. lead ball for deer hunting?
    See above....#1

4. Is a minie ball as versatile for hunting, target shooting, and other applications as the lead ball?
    Sure why not...generally a mini ball has more weight that the same dia. round ball....practice with what you are going to use

If you could answer these questions and add any more info you have, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Your best bet is to contact the manufacture of the gun you plan on using
    Excellent advice........Remember round balls generally shoot better in a slower twist rifling and mini's and sabot on faster twist barrels.
    check this out....a discussion on fast vs slow twist.
    http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/fo...ic.php?t=25336

Mini balls are more like a bullet, but you knew that right?
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-24-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good thoughts. But I was referring to use of minie balls in a sidelock (traditional) muzzleloader, not an inline. Sorry for the confusion.

I know basically what the minie ball is, only from reading about them in Civil War books. Know nothing about modern hunting with them though.
    Last edited by Zack; 01-24-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Most side lock rifles are either 1-48 and a few being 1-66 or there about.
    As you did not mention brand name...kinda hard to tell.....

The 1-48 is a compromise as it "will" shoot either patched round balls or mini's "OK"
    The 1-66 is generally for patched round balls.

Again...look your rifle's manual....most commercial built rifle's have manuals on line....they have to...safety thing....or will send you one.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The twist on minie rifles was usually 1-60 to 1-70. They are not fast twist guns. The only time twist affects performance is when the gun is a fast twist and one is shooting a patched round ball on a very heavy charge. The rifling will strip from contact with the fabric patch when fired. I get some very good groups with my in-line guns and patched round balls using light charges like one would use for small game.

As for efficiency, the appearance of the minie ball turned the rifle from a 200 yard round ball delivery system to an 800 yard sniper tool. Only the sighting systems of that time limited the long range performance out to 800-1000 yards. At the battle of Petersburg the Confederate shooters were blasting holes in the Union laundry hanging on the lines at more than 800 yards. They could see movement and took it to be people, not realizing they were shooting at clothes hanging on a line.

However, you are not going to find too many .45 or .50 caliber minie balls around, which are the most common new made ML rifle calibers. They were and still are normally made in .58 with an occasional .62 being found. I have one Kentucky Rifle set up for minies and it is a .58 flintlock with 1/70 twist. I still wind up shooting round balls out of it because the contests I shoot in require RB.

As Hunter stated, we have excellent sabot rounds available today and they perform very well and are very accurate in most modern rifles, even the side-locks with 1/48 twist.

Take the path of least resistance and go with the sabots. Minies are a pain to cast anyway.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-24-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for clearing that up......never could get that straight.......fast/ slow.....
    BIL CVA Hawken shot mini's very well. where my T/C shot patched round ball better....as far as I know they both were 1-48.

He like the minis as he didn't have to patch them....one less step.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Most side lock rifles are either 1-48 and a few being 1-66 or there about.
    As you did not mention brand name...kinda hard to tell.....

The 1-48 is a compromise as it "will" shoot either patched round balls or mini's "OK"
    The 1-66 is generally for patched round balls.

Again...look your rifle's manual....most commercial built rifle's have manuals on line....they have to...safety thing....or will send you one.
    I'm not too sure about the history of the rifles (got them together for a good price). When I know more, I will provide the info I have. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The twist on minie rifles was usually 1-60 to 1-70. They are not fast twist guns. The only time twist affects performance is when the gun is a fast twist and one is shooting a patched round ball on a very heavy charge. The rifling will strip from contact with the fabric patch when fired. I get some very good groups with my in-line guns and patched round balls using light charges like one would use for small game.

As for efficiency, the appearance of the minie ball turned the rifle from a 200 yard round ball delivery system to an 800 yard sniper tool. Only the sighting systems of that time limited the long range performance out to 800-1000 yards. At the battle of Petersburg the Confederate shooters were blasting holes in the Union laundry hanging on the lines at more than 800 yards. They could see movement and took it to be people, not realizing they were shooting at clothes hanging on a line.

However, you are not going to find too many .45 or .50 caliber minie balls around, which are the most common new made ML rifle calibers. They were and still are normally made in .58 with an occasional .62 being found. I have one Kentucky Rifle set up for minies and it is a .58 flintlock with 1/70 twist. I still wind up shooting round balls out of it because the contests I shoot in require RB.

As Hunter stated, we have excellent sabot rounds available today and they perform very well and are very accurate in most modern rifles, even the side-locks with 1/48 twist.

Take the path of least resistance and go with the sabots. Minies are a pain to cast anyway.
    Good info. never heard that about Petersburg before, but I can believe it.

But when you say that there aren't very many .50 caliber minie balls around, do you mean the ones that came packed with a charge already that they used in the war? I never saw one of those for modern use before, but a quick search online found these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot..._SEQ_104547780

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thomp...s#BVQAWidgetID

Are these minie balls that you are referring to? Because these are the loads that I was hoping to get info about in the OP.

I think you need to google "mini balls"......they are really just a type of bullet.
    The only charged bullet I know of was made by the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company that had the load in the base of the bullet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Repeating_Arms

You are referring to a cartridge that was powder, ball, possibly pre-rolled in a paper?
    Pretty common but not available for sale as far as I know....you need to roll you own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cartridge

Hunter is correct, you need to google minie balls.

What you are referencing are not minie balls, they are solid projectiles made to full bore diameter and they are forced into the rifling to create a measure of efficiency slightly better than the patched round ball.

They are muzzle loading bullets, not minie balls. The concept has been around since the 1400s when some of the competition rifle shooters used a steel ramrod to hammer the bullet into the bore and seat it on the powder charge. It was here in America where the system was changed to include an undersized ball and a greased patch to give some of the accuracy with easier loading.

Minies are cast a fraction undersized for ease in loading and have a hollow base which expands to fill the bore and take the rifling.

Most ML in-line shooters skip over the TC maxiball, Buffalo bullets and Lee REAL bullet technology and go straight to the plastic saboted bullets, which are about as good as the technology gives us at this time. They are just as accurate and are much easier to load.

The only benefit of the TC and Lee bullets is that you can buy a mold and cast your own. That might be handy in a zombie apocalypse but has little benefit for the average hunter. But you can buy a round ball mold and have easier loading with completely adequate power.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

....And the giraffe is the only animal in the world that can say........"The high balls are on me...."

I think you need to google "mini balls"......they are really just a type of bullet.
    The only charged bullet I know of was made by the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company that had the load in the base of the bullet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Repeating_Arms

You are referring to a cartridge that was powder, ball, possibly pre-rolled in a paper?
    Pretty common but not available for sale as far as I know....you need to roll you own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cartridge
    Ok. I am sorry for the confusion. Do you have anyy experience with those types of bullets ("lead conicals")?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Most ML in-line shooters skip over the TC maxiball, Buffalo bullets and Lee REAL bullet technology and go straight to the plastic saboted bullets, which are about as good as the technology gives us at this time. They are just as accurate and are much easier to load.
    I was told that traditional muzzleloaders only use lead balls and bullets like the T/C and Hornady loads mentioned above, not sabots. Do you have success (both in accuracy and in harvesting game) with sabots used in a sidelock?

Only shoot conical's in a Ruger Old Army....made with a Lee Mold.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/612...ter-round-ball

Only shoot conical's in a Ruger Old Army....made with a Lee Mold.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/612...ter-round-ball
    Ok. Do you think tthey're any better than a patched round ball?

In the Ruger Old Army a revolver.....you don't use patched round balls.

Where are you going with this?
    What kind if rifles are they?
    What are you gonna do with them?

We are going around in circles with out knowing the purpose.

I use patched rolund balls in most all the percussion and flinters.......about the only miniball/bullet I use is in a Philadelphia Derringer, the barrel is only 1-1/2 long....so trying to hold on to the gun,... and.. patch, ball, and starter is a pain....so I grease up the base and push it in.

I think the confusion is due to us working with a newbie who has no clue of the terms or procedures for use.

Not that this is a bad thing, it is just causing a circular discussion that is getting nowhere because the OP can not understand the process.

Muzzle loading is not just one type of loading. There are several types of muzzle loading firearms and they load in different ways. Revolvers are not loaded the same way rifles are loaded and smoothbores can be loaded with either shot or ball.

There are also several ways to approach muzzle loading, historical/traditional/modern. A modern shooter might load a smoothbore with a plastic wad and shot, a traditionalist would insist on fiber and cardboard wads, while a historical re-enactor might use dry grass or a wasp nest for wadding.

I know people that will not have an in-line gun in the house and others that have been killing deer for years and have never fired a side-lock.

It can get very confusing for the new shooter.

I just saying having a rifle type and use..... may help arrive at logical answer, or answers?