Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2016

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

As I have just bought my 3rd 100 gallon delivery of heating fuel at $216, I can't say that I miss the cold. But I do, kind of. It has only gotten to -26 a few times. I have only had to plug my car in about 5 times this winter so my electric bill is liking it too. Normally I am on my 4th fuel delivery by this point. Hoping this one lasts me until early fall or until I move into my own little cabin in the woods sometime this summer!

This winter driest on record in Fairbanks
    Weston Morrow, wmorrow@newsminer.com 13 hrs ago (7)
    Warm Weather
    The Chena River flows by Pike's Landing on Wednesday, March 2, 2016. This has been the driest and the eighth warmest meteorological winter on record in Fairbanks.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

FAIRBANKS — The 2015-16 winter in Fairbanks was the driest ever recorded, and it wasn’t even close.

Technically, astronomical winter still reigns for another 18 days, but meteorologists measure winter’s length differently. Meteorological winter in the northern hemisphere runs from the beginning of December through the last day of February.

Even with the extra day of Feb. 29, the winter in Fairbanks was by far the driest since precipitation recording began 105 years ago. During the three-month period, the Fairbanks area received only 2.5 inches of snow, coming in well under the previous record holder. Prior to this year, the 1918-19 winter held the record for driest in Fairbanks with 4.9 inches of snow, nearly double this winter’s snowfall.

Nearly all of the snow accumulation in Fairbanks this year came prior to meteorological winter. Between September and November Fairbanks received near-record snowfall, and yet total snowfall accumulation by March 1 is slightly below normal.

Of the 52.6 inches of snowfall recorded in Fairbanks before March 1, 50.1 inches of it is more than three months old.

Not only has the 2015-16 winter been “remarkably” dry, according to the National Weather Service office in Fairbanks, it’s also been exceptionally warm. For just the second time since temperature recording began 109 years ago, Fairbanks did not experience a single day at or colder than 30-below zero.

On average, Fairbanks experiences 25 days at or colder than 30-below during each cold season. This year there were none. That doesn’t necessarily mean there won’t be any. March, on average, has two days where temperatures fall to 30-below. However, meteorologists with the National Weather Service are forecasting above normal temperatures in March. They’re also forecasting below normal precipitation.

Fairbanks wasn’t the only part of Alaska to experience a wild winter. Barrow, King Salmon and Sitka experienced the warmest winters on record. Juneau and Anchorage, which was notably forced to take snow by train from Fairbanks for the Iditarod, experienced its second warmest winter on record.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Some of us consider -26 downright chilly........just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Been kinda mild here as well.......

The Keekee birds come out at -20 below, but haven't seen or heard any this year.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Wow! Kentucky had more snowfall than Alaska this February!

We got hammered a couple of times last month and are in the middle of an effort right at this moment.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I just came inside. Still in shorts and flip flops, but had a fire in the pit to take the chill off........OK, maybe chill is a bit of an exaggeration.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Lol you know you just like playing with fire Crash.

Hey I thought you all might be interested in this. You know my bush friends Wayne and Scarlet that I go visit every summer? Wayne is on a historical reenactment trip. "For the first time since 1905, a sledging expedition will retrace Amundsen’s route to find a telegraph to tell the world he had navigated through the North West Passage." They tried this once before and could not get through. So this is their second and probably last time ever to try this. From Herschel Island, Yukon Territories Canada, to Eagle, Alaska.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Their expedition diary sounds down right miserable! http://inamundsensfootsteps.com/6th-march-2016/

http://inamundsensfootsteps.com/
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 03-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Sad dealings going on last night for Iditarod mushers Aily Zirkle and Jeff King. This page has the most complete news and videos all in one place.

http://www.ktva.com/jeff-king-aliy-z...heckpoint-508/

Basically a drunk snow machiner attacked two separate teams and killed one dog and severly injured others.

Overnight, while on their way towards the Nulato checkpoint, the sled dog teams of Aliy Zirkle and Jeff King were attacked by a snowmachiner. Repeated, seemingly intentional collisions killed one sled dog from the team of Jeff King, a three-year-old male, Nash; three additional sled dogs (one from Zirkle’s team, two from King’s) received non-life-threatening injuries.
    The Iditarod is our other 1000 mile dog sled race. It's much more advertised then the Yukon Quest and the purse is much larger as well.

Arnold needs his *** kicked.

What a bass whole......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hopefully he gets enough quality time to sober up and think about the errors of his way. 7-10 should be just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hopefully he gets enough quality time to sober up and think about the errors of his way. 7-10 should be just about right.
    not long enough in my eyes

I looked him up and he has a pretty long list of crimes, mostly alcohol related. Hope the jury sees that letting him off easy as has been done before, is just asking for him to escalate his crimes. But they judge says that they could even deem this an act of terrorism and that the prosecutor did not ask for enough bail.

http://www.ktva.com/judge-grants-50k...d-mushers-397/

And on a happier note. From my friends Wayne and Scarlet about Wayne's expediton. Sounds like his foot got frostbite...

Talked to Wayne tonight and the team is doing well and moving along nicely. They have 20 miles of bad ice ahead of them tomorrow but after that things should be really nice.

Wayne's foot is improving and the other team members stay busy bandaging his toe which had had all the skin fall off of and he says looks like a piece of raw meat. But so far so good! He sounded much more perky and not nearly as stressed.

EXPEDITION DIARY
    DAY 14 – Saturday 5th March
    – 40ºC
    We managed to make 15 miles today. As we left Sheep’s Creek we went straight into a class 4 rapid, the worst so far. A lot of broken and collapsed ice, my sledge and I fell partly into a sink hole with the rapids running underneath me.
    It took 3 people to move each sledge with ropes and pulleys almost vertically up the collapsed ice slopes of the rapids. We are exhausted, it took us 2 hours to get through. The dogs are very tired and hate the overflow, so if you sledge too near the edge, they try to climb out of the wet onto the bank.
    We left the river twice to avoid a lot of bad overflow which held us back all day. We made very slow progress till about 3.30pm, then we made the rest of the miles to Joe Creek, which is a beautiful place. We had a very cold night.

DAY 15 – Sunday 6th Feb
    – 40ºC Sunny
    It takes about 3 ½ hours from waking to get going, feeding the dogs and ourselves, breaking camp etc. Hitting ice off the sledges takes about ¾ hour, and it takes at least 10 mins to get each boot on because they are frozen solid, and have to be defrosted over the Primus stove.
    Finally we set off and straight away we got into heavy overflow; this continued all day except for when we left the river, but then we were into deep snow so that made very slow progress as well.
    We are now out of the canyon so no more collapsed ice and no more tricky elevation changes. The countryside is getting wider with the mountains set further back. We made slow progress all day, only making 14 miles.
    DAY 16 – Monday 7th March
    – 45ºC Suddenly very cold last night
    At last we had a really good run, making the 22 miles to the border. We crossed an ice field, which is a massive lake all frozen solid. Lots of cracking and groaning in the ice under us as we sledged along, which is always worrying as you don’t want to go through and get wet!
    On the border we ran into a lot of willow trees and deep snow. It took 2 ½ hours to make the last 2 miles but we finally made the border.

DAY 17 – Tuesday 8th March
    We met up with Earl Rolf who had come up from the south and spent the day re-supplying from the air drop, fixing stuff and checking over the dogs.
    DAY 18 – Wednesday 9th March
    Today we are going up into the mountains, 26 miles straight uphill, and we will camp on the top. Now that we are more southerly trees are beginning to grow and we can use firewood, but as we get into higher elevations the trees stop growing. It will be a two day run up the mountain till we can get more firewood, so we are taking a bit with us. It is 52 miles to the top of Lewis Creek. It has clouded over with a bit of snow now.
    We want to push on as hard as we can as I am worried about the condition of the Yukon River when we get to it.

http://inamundsensfootsteps.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Gears are in motion and I will be your "neighbor" sometime later this year, that is if my barge doesn't sink. Also need to find a job but that is lower down the list
    Hey Grizz, did I not see this before? Where/when are you coming? If it's in the interior, I can help. Don't know the job market in Anchorage other then the whole state is in a budget crises right now so if you don't have a pretty highly marketable skill set, better bring enough money with you to get out.

Oh I don't think you've seen this one yet. It's amazing as always. Ronn does such a good job.

Why do my videos only show up as links any more?

There was a very short URL in the vid code. I'm not sure where you pulled the URL from or why it only pasted the short URL. I pasted the full URL and it shows up. Might be a browser thing. I'm using Chrome. Make sure the =youtube.XX portion is on the end of the URL you cut and paste.

Thanks Ric. I use the "share" link.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Oh I don't think you've seen this one yet. It's amazing as always. Ronn does such a good job.

Why do my videos only show up as links any more?
    Oh my gosh 1stimestar! Thank you so much. I traced it to Youtube to see who Jo Blankenburg is and boy is he talented as a musician. I am currently listening to his hour long "heroic epic music" Youtube. I sent both yours and the one I am listening to to my 2 DDs and they will love them and the pictures on each.

This is some of my favorite type of daytime music as it inspires me to get MOVING! ON that note, thanks again, hope to see the NLs some night and I am off....!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Thanks so much for the video 1stimestar that was great, I really enjoyed it.

You can pick out a lot of constellations above the Aurora. Wonderfull!