Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the most important wilderness gear in your possession right now?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_boxler View Post
    What's the most important wilderness gear you have right now and can you state your top 5 outdoor gears when going out on a weekend adventure?
    A spammer from the Phillipines you say. Well I had to go back and look at the post again, and it may be that I misunderstood his question. I don't speak Philippine.
    After thinking about it a bit, it occurred to me what my response maybe should have been. To whit:
    I can state categorically that the top five outdoor gears when going out on a weekend adventure are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. These are the gears that I spend most of the time with, and are comfortable and familiar with. I would say that 80% of the time I use 5th gear as the roads are 80% paved to where I like to go. But the MOST important gear is 4WD Lo.

Why do you ask, with your best Philippine accent?

Because this is the gear I am usually using when the adventure starts. When the axles are sunk into the mud and or sand, when the vehicle is tilted .05 degrees less than the tip over angle, when the tree I am going over is 3" taller than the highest point on the undercarriage, this is were the road trip ends. This is where the adventure begins, usually some minutes after switching over to my "most important wilderness gear", 4WD Lo.

Depending on the weather, time of year and fuel tank level, the adventure can be survival in nature, a vehicle rescue adventure, occasionally an adventure in futility. But always an adventure! This "most important wilderness gear" is responsible for teaching me many lessons in the outdoor environment. How to beg and plead for help from people in the area with winch capabilities, how to insert as many dead trees as possible under my vehicle in an effort to lever it back up out of the mud, how to play cat's cradle with ropes and pulleys using the vehicle as a partner, how best to prepare and eat humble pie. You get the picture.

This "most important wilderness gear" has also brought me into contact with other people who favor this gear and are learning from it as I have. Some of the best people I have met favor this gear and many a conversation it has started. It has provided conversation starters such as the laws of physics, luck, center of balance, reasons to carry a handyman jack, the qualities that define a good shovel, the importance of carrying water.

What is your favorite gear in the Philippines?

"Don't practice to you get it right, practice till you never get it wrong." - Anonymous Talkatus 260 B.C.

Well played....I concur.

Gas mileage?, gas mileage?....we don' worry about no stinking ..gas mileage.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Et tu Brute? I knew some wisenheimer was going to make a comment along those lines. I figured it would be Natertot. But yeah, the truth often hurts. [/COLOR]
    Wow, I am disappointed in your expectations of me! (BTW, good job Kyrat! )

I know this is a troll thread, but it is a good reminder on where to set priorities. I would rate mine in the following manner starting with the most important.

1 clothing including boots
    2 knife
    3 fire making implement. Bic and ferro are my top two voices in this category.
    4 metal canteen with canteen cup
    5 tarp with lines

If I could have a 6th and 7th it would be a sleeping bag and FAK.
    Last edited by natertot; 01-21-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Wow, I am disappointed in your expectations of me! (BTW, good job Kyrat! )

I know this is a troll thread, but it is a good reminder on where to set priorities. I would rate mine in the following manner starting with the most important.

1 clothing including boots
    under pants, under shirt, two socks, shirt, pants, belt, two boots, sweater, jacket, hat, two gloves
    2 knife
    with sheath
    3 fire making implement. Bic and ferro are my top two voices in this category.
    Let's pick BIC --- plastic body, metal shroud, thumb wheel, jet, flint, valve, base, fork, fork spring, flint spring, ball
    4 metal canteen with canteen cup
    canteen , cup, case
    5 tarp with lines
    eight individual lines

If I could have a 6th and 7th it would be a sleeping bag and FAK.
    So, you're really talking about forty-two items.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

(snort, giggle)

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    So, you're really talking about forty-two items.
    Hey, if you ain't cheatin' then you ain't tryin'!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you guys would quit throwing away the instruction sheets you would not need to pack around all that knowledge in your heads.

You get enough of that stuff packed in there and it will make your head hurt and your hair fall out!
    So, that's why all the Bear Grylls equipment comes with a little foldout instruction sheet....

I should just carry a survival instruction book. Much easier to remember. Of course, like hunter said...googling stuff out in the wilderness is pretty reliable.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

So, Crash and KYRS would start their list with:

1. Truck loaded to restart civilization.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

That would be "Big Red and Trailer"......Got it.
    ....and Nate....don't forget the Carhartt bibs...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That would be "Big Red and Trailer"......Got it.
    ....and Nate....don't forget the Carhartt bibs...
    Already packed....... four pair! And the horn is disabled!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Finallyme, you have not seen our rigs! I carry more in my fanny pack for a trip to the mall than this Philippine guy is talking about trying to survive on!

I have to say that Hunter tops out this group with the truck and 16 foot trailer, I come in second with the Jeep Cherokee towing the 12' cargo hauler and Nate has a baby rig of small car pulling a 4'x4' trailer since he is young and just starting out. I weighed my cast iron once and found that it topped 300 pounds counting the fire irons, trivets and grills.

Then there is the Crashbuggy, which only a select few have seen. No trailer there but that Chevy truck is going to need a new set of springs, airbags or a skid plat on the rear bumper eventually.

We might not have enough to restart civilization but we could have a jump on making a small town.

We have not done a top two/top 3/top 5 or even a top 10 thread in quite a while. I think the last time we did that was during the Alone series back last winter. We analyzed the crap out of every item those guys carried.

And you guys need to remember that when making the list clothing does not count. It is always ??? items plus clothing.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-21-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Wilderness or not, I always have some cash and a credit card in my pocket. Comes in mighty handy sometimes.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Most valuable, my skills and experience!

My knowledge !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We might not have enough to restart civilization but we could have a jump on making a small town.
    I think our group combined could have a small town (Thinking early 1800's frontier style, population 9) of houses built in less than thirty days. Give us another thirty days, I am pretty sure a blacksmith shop, leather shop, tool shop and saloon will be fully operational. Not necessarily in that order! (Gotta prioritize! )

Making beer takes a while.... Making liquor is quicker....