Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Canning Question.

I am currently looking for a canner and pressure cooker. Not too big to be used on a small stove top, but good quality.
    Any recommendation for a good canner / pressure cooker ?
    Thanks
    http://voyaginator.com

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Only time corn sees a Mason jar in Kentucky is when you are drinking it!

And its a b$%&# trying to get that Bourbon to freeze!

UH "can" I hang out with you?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by voyaginator View Post
    I am currently looking for a canner and pressure cooker. Not too big to be used on a small stove top, but good quality.
    Thanks

Pressure cookers were kicked to the curb when microwaves really hit twenty years ago... many still hit the farmers markets... in Europe they still backpack a small one.. not sure why. I have no trouble finding dutch ovens and pressure cookers at farmers markets...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by voyaginator View Post
    Thanks
    We have lots of canners here. Jump to the link below and I am sure someone will respond as well.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...essure-canners
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Can't beat the All American pressure cooker. Not gasket to wear out.
    Any old large pot will do for a no-pressure steam canner. Any of the Ball starter kits will do. You can usually pick those up at any aggy store or even Walmart these days. But any large pot that will let you get an inch or two of water over the top of the jars when submerged will do. If you don't use a jar rack though, be sure to put a wire grid of some sort on the bottom of the pot so the water can get under your jars.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-24-2016 at 06:24 AM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Hmmm. Canned peas ALWAYS are mushier than frozen. Canned vegetables are often hot packed which would be the equivalent of blanching anyway. Don't see anything bad with canning frozen veggies if you like them the results, just thaw completely before re-packing. As far as losing nutrients, ANY processing and cooking causes nutrients to go into the cooking/processing liquid, so throwing away the water loses nutrition even from fresh foods. Just save that canned food 'juice' and eat it (soups, gravies, or drink it) and you go a long way to recovering those losses.

Personally, I prefer to dehydrated frozen veggies for long term storage - it cuts the peeling, cutting, and blanching time out of the dehydrating job.

as far as a combination pressure cooker/canner I have used the mirro 4-qt size in the past. BUT it only takes half pint & pint jars and only a few, so it really isn't worth the effort for canning. The electric ones are not recommended for canning, their heat regulation is questionable. I still like my old pressure cooker for cooking, though....microwaves cant tenderize tougher (but more flavorful) meats they just make them tougher still. Dry beans are another thing pressure cookers excel at. I LIKE being able to cook a pot of pintos in 20 min, myself.
    The pressure cooker also is a usable autoclave if you need to sterilize medical stuff (instruments, home made dressings, etc) too. Look at the thrift shops in areas going from rural to urban - lots of grandmothers' pressure cookers end up there and even bigger canners if you get there when they first come in. Some university extension offices can check the gauges for accuracy (they rarely get "off") but you can buy the weighted gauges instead to replace them. I find the weights are much easier to use and you can hear whether they are working while you do other things in the kitchen (peeling & dicing) whereas with a gauge you have to stand there and watch it much of the time. Pressure cookers are cool tools.