Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Canning Question.

Blog Entries

Default A Canning Question.

Someone I know who is relatively new to canning has been canning defrosted frozen Sweetcorn kernels and green peas. I have had a googlefu and can't find any reliable info on this practice. Now I'm not sure whether this is safe or not, peronally I wouldn't, but I don't want to open my mouth and be called out on it, but neither do I want to say nothing and maybe have a catastophe happen that I could have prevented. I have asked her where she got the idea from and she said 'the internet'
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I don't do a lot of canning, but found this. http://www.healthycanning.com/canning-corn-kernels/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It should not be a problem as long as they are pressure canning the recommend time. A lot of people stick their garden produce in the freezer in the summer rush and then can it in the winter when it slower.

Anything pre-frozen is going to get mushy and will lose flavor. There's nothing out there that says you can't can frozen veggies. You can can frozen meats so not sure what the issues might be with veggies. Personally, I'd do them separately though.

I'm not so sure I'd use the microwave to thaw the corn as in the link Crash provided.
    I'd use the hot pack method given here, being sure to extend the cook time to account for the frozen stuff to "heat through":
    http://www.freshpreserving.com/recip...le-kernel-corn
    and here:
    http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/sweet-green-peas

The food needs to be warmed through so it processes for the correct amount of time.
    You must use a pressure canner and adjust times for your altitude.

Assuming you mean green sweet peas. I vaguely recall a sort of mushy pea type food (kinda like fried pea soup) while visiting in the UK which is totally different. Even pressure canning, thick mushy stuff isn't usually recommended as it can't be heated through even under pressure.

Bearing in mind this is "off recipe" and hasn't been lab tested,
    Use at own risk:
    You have to pressure can process for the longer of the two vegetables you use.
    I notice that the processing time is missing for the green peas on that link.
    In my Ball Book, Corn is 55 minutes for pints and 85 minutes for quarts.
    while Peas are only 40 minutes for pints or qts.
    So if doing a quart of mixed, you do em 85 minutes.
    That still sounds like some pretty mushy peas...

Edit: I'm seeing "mixed vegetable" times as high as 90 minutes for quarts on line.
    Last edited by LowKey; 01-09-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Thanks for the clarification folks, maybe it's the English Google search function or something, but I didn't find any links and I learned something today. I've only canned fresh veg and I don't bother canning peas, I freeze or dehydrate them. I hate tinned peas!
    Lowkey, Mushy peas.... now we're talkin'! I wouldn't can them at home though.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I liked the mushy peas, had em with fish and chips somewhere in Cornwall, but couldn't help wondering how much better they'd be made with a touch of bacon grease. LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Peas porridge, hot, peas porridge cold....peas porridge in the pot ...9 days old....
    Bhohahahaha.....
    BTW, mashed potatoes will only hide so many canned peas....

Mom says, "Sure you can, can frozen corn.....Same as fresh"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We use "Putting Food By" as our canning and food preservation bible. I agree with what LowKey wrote. I would add that not only do you lose food quality but I strongly believe you lose nutritional value too by the additional processing. Those frozen vegetables that are being thawed likely went through a blanching process first. There's also a great website (National Center for Food Preservation) http://nchfp.uga.edu/ which is an excellent reference source.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

I agree with LowKey, we bring in "Cleopatra seed corn" or Sweet Corn from the local farm and process 75-100 ears in two-three hours each year - the corn is stripped, hair removed and with a special tool the corn is cut off the ear after blanching. - It could be canned at that moment but would add another three to four hours of time to the process. So we use thick tupperware about forty containers and put it up in the freezer. We would pull a container out per week in the winter months as a mouth watering side with butter to dinner.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I guess the question really is why can if it's frozen? You are already preserving the food by freezing it. Granted, you can extend the shelf life but she should consider how many she is canning for vs. just keeping frozen food. Now that there is just one of me it just doesn't make sense for me to can like I used to or in the same quantities.

WiseOldOwl, I do the same thing. A couple hours for 2 or 3 weekends when the corn is at its peak. The canner and the lobster pot get filled for blanching, then everything goes outdoors to be 'zipped' off the cob (juice goes everywhere so I've been banned from inside the house with that part.) Then it goes in the freezer. Nothing beats that sweet corn taste in the middle of winter.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Only time corn sees a Mason jar in Kentucky is when you are drinking it!

And its a b$%&# trying to get that Bourbon to freeze!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tried to rep you on that one Kyrat! That was good.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I guess the question really is why can if it's frozen? You are already preserving the food by freezing it. Granted, you can extend the shelf life but she should consider how many she is canning for vs. just keeping frozen food. Now that there is just one of me it just doesn't make sense for me to can like I used to or in the same quantities.
    My sentiment exactly. I still can't see the point in preserving twice and I would guess the texture would leave quite a bit to be desired.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Some things are simply better frozen than canned and corn is one of them! I do can tomatoes and green and yellow wax beans. I am not particularly fond of peas, so I don't mess with them.
    Geezer Squad #2

Quote Originally Posted by ronjnk View Post
    We use "Putting Food By" as our canning and food preservation bible. I agree with what LowKey wrote. I would add that not only do you lose food quality but I strongly believe you lose nutritional value too by the additional processing. Those frozen vegetables that are being thawed likely went through a blanching process first. There's also a great website (National Center for Food Preservation) http://nchfp.uga.edu/ which is an excellent reference source.
    Plus one on that....we do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Some things are simply better frozen than canned and corn is one of them! I do can tomatoes and green and yellow wax beans. I am not particularly fond of peas, so I don't mess with them.
    We do as well...like peas but like fresh snow peas....or frozen.

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of Putting Food By too. That is my preserving bible I think it was Lowkey put me on to it several years ago.
    I think this canning frozen veg all came about because she just wanted to have stuff canned, anything at all.
    Like the rest of you, I believe some things can better than others. I have never canned corn as it's so expensive here, far too expensive to put in a jar and I can't grow enough to eat fresh and have extra for preserving apart from the odd few for the freezer.

If she wants to can have her can meat. Protein can always be used and it has a short freezer life. I've canned some weird things like brats. But they come out fine. Hamburger does great too. My fav is chicken, though. Can the left over broth as well. It's great for the stupid cold that sneaks up on you. All the meat I can has been cooked prior to canning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If she wants to can have her can meat. Protein can always be used and it has a short freezer life. I've canned some weird things like brats. But they come out fine. Hamburger does great too. My fav is chicken, though. Can the left over broth as well. It's great for the stupid cold that sneaks up on you. All the meat I can has been cooked prior to canning.
    I can Hamburger and yep, we love home canned chicken too AND I only can cooked meat as well! (you been peeking in my cupboard?)