Thread: Yankee Gumbo

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Yankee Gumbo

You know you are dealing with a Yankee when the gumbo recipe on the internet does not call for okra!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

lol, I am one of the few Yankees that love okra..... and gumbo for that matter! In reality, I am surprised there is a Yankee recipe for either!

On a side note, glad dinner just got ready. You made me hungry!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm a Yankee. You guys can keep the okra. By all means throw it in the gumbo, I like gumbo, but I get to push it to the side if I recognize it.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Gotta have okra in the gumbo!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Gumbo must have okra and sassafras leaves .

Y'all can have mine as well.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

arn't 'yankee' and 'gumbo' mutually exclusive terms?

fixit, we call that Sassafrass leaf "fila"

Yep I think gumbo and yankee cancel each other out.

I moved just far enough north to leave the part of the country known for its good cooking. Many of the foods I grew up eating are not known in this region and some of the swill they call food is not fit for hogs!

These people up here make chili with spaghetti sauce, add a couple of spoons full of cinnamon and then try to pass it off as original Greek Chili!

Who ever heard of Greek chili anyway?

Chili is from the Texican border country, not from Macedonia, poured on spaghetti and covered with cheese and called a three way. I don't eat nothing that is called a three way!

They even look at me funny when I ask for extra grits at the Waffle House. Now you know there's something fishy going on when they look at you funny at the Waffle House!

Unfortunately I also got stuck in the middle earth region of the country where they don't know how to make the good hash browns either. A little farther north and they would have discovered garlic and onions, but not here!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

These people up here make chili with spaghetti sauce, add a couple of spoons full of cinnamon and then try to pass it off as original Greek Chili!

Who ever heard of Greek chili anyway?

Chili is from the Texican border country, not from Macedonia, poured on spaghetti and covered with cheese and called a three way. I don't eat nothing that is called a three way!
    The dressed up spaghetti as chili is NOT a northern thing, that is a Cincinnati thing! I grew up in Iowa with plenty of relatives in IL, NE and even a few in WI. None of us heard of this until I moved to Cincinnati and we all detest it as well!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Anything that looks like snot is off my menu. Okra is okay fried but never snotty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Anything that looks like snot is off my menu. Okra is okay fried but never snotty.
    I hear ya brother.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Hey y'all, not all of us northerners are against okra. While I do not make it on a regular basis, I have never had okra that I did not like. Had some in gumbo last week. And I made a jambalaya with okra for a pot luck two weeks ago and the pot was scraped clean by the other people there.(I had to go home with out any left overs for lunch the next day - bummer!!)
    Last edited by Old Professor; 03-03-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Geezer Squad #2

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    The dressed up spaghetti as chili is NOT a northern thing, that is a Cincinnati thing! I grew up in Iowa with plenty of relatives in IL, NE and even a few in WI. None of us heard of this until I moved to Cincinnati and we all detest it as well!
    There is also that Goeta stuff they have invented. Meatless sausage made form pork fat and rolled oats! They claim it is German, and I even have one friend that claims her grandmother brought he original recipe here from Germany.

Fact is the Germans never heard of the stuff and it is unknown anywhere in the world outside the Cincinnati area!

They won't eat okra or grits but they crave their fried pig fat and rolled oats????

If you are going to eat fried pig fat it should be the way God intended, as PORK RINDS!

I have for years made grits and added eggs on top. I decided to try dropping the egg in the middle. And that worked fine. But, then I added them at about the 10 minute mark and mixed the 2 eggs in with the mix. This is awesome.