Thread: Neat old shotgun, that I never knew much about

Default Neat old shotgun, that I never knew much about

About three years ago, I was at a gun show when I stumbled across a guy carrying an old single shot shotgun. I asked "whathca got there?" and replied "just an old gun". From there I asked if he was selling it and he confirmed. Curious, I asked how much and he said he would take just about anything because no one would even look at it. (Mind you, this was right after Sandy Hook, so if it wasn't semi auto and hold more than ten rounds then no one wanted it.) I didn't even touch the gun, but I offered a pretty low price. He jumped at my offer, so much so I thought I had been taken. When the show slowed a little, I went off to the corner and looked at it. All I could tell was it was a Remington, but I was happy that it was a major name brand. I took it home, did a real light cleaning and oiled her good, then placed her in the back of the safe.

After a couple years, I got curious about her so I took her out of the safe. Went to a few small LGS where old timers hang out and no one knew anything about it. I loaded up ten 12ga hulls really light and took her out to the range. She worked flawless! Took it back home, cleaned her up, oiled her, and back to the safe she went.

Now last week rolls around, and I decide I should figure out what I actually own since I have been thinking of possibly selling it. Turns out, it is a Remington model 1893 No. 3. On top of that, I found out that the serial numbers used for this model ranged 1,001-90,000. Mine happens to be a low four digit serial that is near the bottom of the numbers! Looking for their values is pretty tough because I can find very few of them that have actually sold in the last five years. I did happen to find one listed for sale that also has a four digit serial (the only other four digit one I could locate) in Pennsylvania. I wrote down the number on the ad and I am thinking of calling them to see what there first two numbers are. I may own the lowest serial left in existence! Kinda neat in my book.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I forgot to mention, and some may have already took note. There are indeed to levers on the receiver. The one on the tang breaks the action open. Once a shell is inserted and the action closed, you then press the lever on the side down which cocks and locks the firing pin. I find it kinda unusual as I have never seen another gun operate in this fashion.
    Last edited by natertot; 01-08-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

That is pretty cool.....

I haven't seen that side cocking lever either....Hummmm
    Most of my old SS are cocked with a hammer, and are generally not cocked or set at 1/2.... till ready to fire.
    Does that work with that lever, or just wait till you are ready to fire.

How is the bore?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There is not half cock with the lever, all or nothing. The lever takes a bit of distance and a bit of effort to get it all the way locked. The trigger isn't all that heavy either, guessing around a 5lb pull since I do not have a trigger scale. I would not recommend walking through the field with the lever cocked.

The bore isn't too bad at all, really. A couple of really light pits just forward of the chamber, other than that it is good. The bore does not have a "mirror" polish to it, but looking at the surface texture, I don't think it was made with one either.

Last edited by natertot; 01-08-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Let us know what you find out....does look interesting.
    That is a low number, but you would have to know how they numbered them....serial numbers weren't required till the 1960's, so hard to say what system they were using.

Have a few Crescent Arms SS and DB's....but haven't come across any for a while.

Can't tell for the pic's, but that doesn't look like a Damascus barrel.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-08-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That design date would put it right at the point in time when smokeless shells were being introduced. That is probably why is does not have a mirror finish bore.

It was probably designed to take smokeless shells but still had a lot of BP shells run through it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I can't tell if it is a Damascus or not. I don't believe it is, but my only experience with Damascus was a 1914 Ithica so I am not too familiar with it.

Remington numbered the 1893 No3 from 1001-90,000 with 86,805 made between 1893-1902. So that makes this one #200. In 1902, this gun was replaced by the 1893 No9. They were the same gun except the No9 replaced the extractor with an ejector and added a take down pin on the receiver. The No9 was discontinued in 1910 with 65,698 made and they all had six digit serials.

Averaging the few sale prices I have found over the last five years and a few book prices, mine seems to possibly be valued around $300-$350 given it's condition. I am not sure if being such a low production number means anything or not. The only other 4 digit serial number I came across was the one for sale in PA. I did call the gentleman, pretty nice guy. His was number 14xx and was asking $500. Not that he'll get that. It's kinda hard to determine a value when there is so little to compare too.

Fun to learn though......

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That design date would put it right at the point in time when smokeless shells were being introduced. That is probably why is does not have a mirror finish bore.

It was probably designed to take smokeless shells but still had a lot of BP shells run through it.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but you are right. It would make sense at that time to design a barrel for (then) modern ammo while being able to use the old stuff as well. The bore looks more of a satin sheen and there are really tiny, fine, straight lines that run from the chamber to the muzzle. It appears to be from the manufacturing process.