Thread: Hopefully some better news

Default Hopefully some better news

The forum has suffered two huge losses due to cancer recently. Both of these loses not only sadden my heart, but also many on the forum. Hopefully I can spread some good news.

A little over a year ago, my daughter was diagnosed with cancer. She was not quite a year old. We went through a lot of tests and determined it to be neuroblastoma, which is a cancer that attacks unmatured nerve cells. The first thing they wanted to know was how fast it was growing. A bunch of scans later, over several months, and it showed almost no growth. The doctors thought was that if it grew more than a certain percentage over that time, then they would do chemo. So, with no to little growth, the plan was to monitor it every 3 months and check for growth...no chemo. About 6 months later, it actually shrunk more than 70%. It has pretty much held that size and we are doing ultrasounds every 3 months instead of using radiation to check the size. We are still in a state of lets wait and see, but so far so good. Obviously things can change, but we are hoping for the best. We do want to thank anyone who prayed for us, or who continues to pray for us, or who even just sends positive thoughts our way. We really appreciate it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

DW and I send you our heart felt thoughts and prayers........It's so tough with children.
    We have had our hearts broken in the past, and know how you are feeling,..... Hang in there.

Treatments are so much better now, than in the past.....should give you hope
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Prayers inbound and will continue. Been there with scary pediatric diagnosis; very tough if you are not in a medical profession or have a science background. We felt we played catch-up everyday.

Glad it seems to be under control; just a quick scan of medical sites gives a strong basis for great hope for your daughter. As hunter63 said, treatments are so much better now.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Every time we go to the oncologist, our hearts are broken watching all the children going through chemo. The treatments may be much better now then before, but it is still pretty devastating on the young body. Luckily the young body can recover much easier, but it still just breaks your heart.

Thanks Hunter.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh good luck! I'll send up some prayers. My nephew had to go through chemo starting at age 4. It was pretty hard but it worked.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I am delighted that it has had such a significant reduction. At her age she still has mom's antibodies helping her. Especially if she was breast fed. The hospital where my wife had surgery houses the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital and you are so right. I hated to walk through the lobby of that place because it is so heart breaking to see those kids having to deal with cancer. I will wing prayers skyward for her. With any luck my wife will intercede on her behalf. Stay strong. The unknowns are what are so disconcerting.

Things come in seasons. Many that I know have left in 2015, thankfully, I have not lost any family in several years. At least that I was close too. This concerns me because I have many aging relatives and I know that can't last forever, so I know that the season of death will come upon soon.

Regardless, the loss of friends and acquaintances still brings about sadness. I know most are in accordance with my beliefs, or similar thereto, so I have peace that one day I will be reunited with them.

FinallyMe, I cannot imagine what you are facing with your child. I will pray for you and your family. I know a few years back, we had a scare with my wife and skin cancer and it was not looking good. I remember thinking how I would explain this to two toddlers if the docs couldn't get a hold on things. With your daughter, there is no hiding it in hopes it gets better and she lacks understanding because of her age. I can't imagine how scared she must be at times. I will pray very fervently for you guys. I would really like to see y'all come out on top of this and her enjoy a decently long life.

God bless and prayers for those who have lost or are facing loss.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Great news. Prayers continue.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I hope it keeps going well!

That is better news and I pray that it remains better news!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Prayers continued.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!