Thread: jerusalem artichoke

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default jerusalem artichoke

Anyone here growing Jerusalem Artichokes?

I am considering putting some in as a permanent food plot.

It is one of the garden crops I have absolutely zero experience with either in the growing, storing or cooking levels.

But looking at 100 pounds of eatable tubers from a 25 sq/ft bed is very appealing along with the promoted ease of cultivation and heartiness.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Grew them for years.....bytch to peel, all knobby and irregular.
    Tastes like bland potatoes,.....sliced and fried not bad....or sliced kinda raw like water chestnuts.

Pretty invasive, although a plot at "The Place" didn't do very well and dies out....suspect the deer wiped the out.
    Plants make a good screen....6-8 ft. tall along back fence.......
    Home patch finally dug up....and put a plastic shed over the spot......

We didn't really care for them all that much.......
    One of those thing that sounds a lot better in theory than actual practice.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We have them like them when we can keep the deer from mowing them . As a low upkeep crop. They are invasive so don't put them where you would be upset when they spread.

I grow mine in a 1' deep tin bed over landscape cloth so they don't run.
    I couldn't imagine trying to peel 100lbs of them.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Even washing them with a scrubber is kinda a PITA.

Lots of recipes out there using the "hide what it is" by slicing, rolling spices, cheese and oil.....so you don't have to peel them.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, it's more about getting the little stones from the dirt out of all the little crooks and crannies. I think that's why recipes tell you to slice em thin.
    The other thing too...you don't want to eat too many too often...especially skin-on...
    Just sayin'
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

I used to grow them for fodder and they will grow pretty much anywhere and crop well. Owing to them being loaded with inulin they have an unfortunate side-effect on the digestive system, hence their other name Fartichokes. Some folk can cope with inulin better than others, just don't go into town for a while afer eating them.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.