Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Leaks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Roof Leaks

I just came down from up on the roof.

It seems that 6 inches of rain in three days will expose roofing problems you did not know you had.

I could not find the immediate problem but there appears to be one so I spread roof sealer over the entire area. It is a stop gap since the roof is more than 30 years old and due for replacement.

It is supposed to be sunny and 60 to apply the stuff but cloudy and 45 is going to have to do, since I had to do something, even if it was wrong!

Fortunately we do not have more rain forecast for a few days so perhaps it will work. I already have enough damage done that I will need to replace the living room ceiling. But that will not be done until I get a full new roof on in the spring.

Seems there is something all the time. But at least it is mine, and it is paid for.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I hear ya......
    Worst storm here yesterday....started raining...turned to sleet, then snow with 30-40 mile and hour winds......then back to freezing rain again......so had a frozen layered mess outside.

Then the Dish went out, so out side at 9:30 PM to clear the frozen slop off the dish....got that done....DW sticks her head out the back door and says the sump pump won't stop running.

Go in check the front yard....no water coming out of the above ground soaker hose I use in the winter (that I had prepared for).
    Undo the hose....no water coming out.....WTH?....
    Check the pump....running and swirling around in the pit......not pumping.......Unplug....undo hose connector between the two 1-1.4 gal pipe....Plug back in........GOT WET......

Connect back up......NOTHING.

2 ft of pipe...90 degree fitting.....2 more feet to out side.....Not frozen .....WTH?

Run the snake (from garage) up the inside, and back in thru the out side....but only to elbow.....can't make the turn but both ends appear clear.

Hook back up....NOTHING.

Pull pump (purchased 4-17-15)....but receipt was for the previous pump for 2013....WTH(?)
    Pull cover off the bottom of the pump....seems clear....check back flow flapper valve appears to be opening and closing ok....
    WTH(?)
    Reassembled...
    NOTHING!

Now 11:30 PM......Pump down.....can't get out of driveway....and no where to get parts anyway......
    Water didn't seem to be coming up any more....so called it a day.

This morning neighbor brought his BIG AZZ snow blower over and cleared me out (again)

Just got back from Menards.....they have a "look up receipt" feature....found it....so may have to return the old pump....
    But no direct replacement.....just the High dollars version....seems they had a run on pumps.....
    So have a new pump, new back flow check valve.......

AND, because I had no back up for the pump.......Picked up a portable submersible elect pump......and feeds a garden hose....as a drop in the hold spare...as well as pumping anything into garden hose.
    Hope to never use it.

So, Yeah...always something.......
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-29-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Find the leak... Impossible maybe .. but try...

Only leaks when it raining.....but can't fix it.
    When it isn't raining....don't know where the leak is?

Bigest problem....leaks "over there"....but runs in "over here".....

put a bucket under the leak and that's one less bucket of water you need to bring into the cabin.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Only leaks when it raining.....but can't fix it.
    When it isn't raining....don't know where the leak is?

Bigest problem....leaks "over there"....but runs in "over here".....
    That is the big problem I fear.

I think the leak is several feet away, running down a rafter, puddling on the drywall and seeping through at the joints.

That is why I just sealed the entire area. I did a quick job this afternoon but after going to Home Depot and dragging all the gear around my back was already giving me fits. I will get back up there tomorrow and put a second coat on and do a better job.

Installed new pump.....found the back flow /check valve had a crack in the side of a fitting the had the iron pipe screwed into it.....
    So, appears it was short cycling and not pumping the complete pit out....but just slowly pumping some out, but swirling and staying running.
    Soooo.....finally didn't pump enough, that DW noticed it running extra long....and said something.

Also appears the backflow preventer/ check valve....is a "Universal 1-1/2 and 1-1/4" requiring the inside to be threaded on the top for a 1-1/4 and out side thread in the same spot.......Bad idea, weak spot....will check that next if future problems ....and use a valve the is for the size pipe I have.

So, I now have the new spare sump pump....AND the old pump, that will get checked out when it warms up...to see how well it pumps.

May have 2 spares.....cost some bucks...but don't have that helpless feeling of watch water coming in at night and not a darn thing I can do about it.

I suspect the roof is going to be more of a problem.

man, kyrat! bad time of the year to contend with that kinda issue! Sounds like you got a band aide til spring at least. Yell if you need a hand.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

That's the way a Yankee does it.....In the south they just put up another blue tarp....
    Bhohahahahahaha

Joke....ducking and getting outta here.....

That blue tarp is known as a FEMA SHINGLE . The government did issues and they did put them up.

Fema Shingles are like $500 bucks.......
    Harbor Freight, $12 bucks for a big one on sale......

Had a limb punch thru the roof and into the bedroom in our Thanksgiving ice storm and was able to patch it with a few shingles. Our recent rain and ice stayed out, thank God.

I've found of you can't find damaged shingles and have a leak the problem is usually the seals around your various vent pipes etc.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    The is an intro section if you would care to say Hello...at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Your advice is valid, ....found that to be true in some cases.
    A lot depends on the condition of the singles at the time.....bad asphalt shingles, rolled roofing, rubber roofing and even steel can leak at seams and fasteners.

My experience on a leak at a "rubber Witches Hat" for my electrical service was due to the green logs on the cabin drying and settling... breaking the seal around the pipe.....

If the seal is done correctly on perimeter your molding, that should be about the only area that might leak.

Well I finished the job up this afternoon. Had some good sunshine and the air temp was 40f. I put a second coat on the problem area and ran about on the roof chasing likely problems on a 30 year old roof. I sealed around every vent and stand pipe I have and around a couple of previous patches that might be tempted to give me trouble.

We have a couple of dry days ahead and hopefully some sun will help cure the patches and flat areas I sealed. Looks like a new roof will be next spring's big project.

Congrats...hopefully that will solve you problem.....at least for a while.
    cold here for the last couple of days.....
    I used to like roofing, did a lot for friends and my self.....but knees aren't what they used to be.

Now like many things...I call my "roofing guy"....had him do my shed last summer at "The Place"

With heavy rains, the gutters can overflow into the house, even if the downspouts are clear. A quick fix is drill holes in the gutters or tear them down until you can replace them with larger gutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    With heavy rains, the gutters can overflow into the house, even if the downspouts are clear. A quick fix is drill holes in the gutters or tear them down until you can replace them with larger gutters.
    I can't see where that would do much good.....Actually make no sense to me at all...
    Would you care to clarify that a bit?

My gutters just overflow into the yard.....I have big trees, so I spend a lot of time cleaning them....
    Most likely if the gutters are plugged, the bottom is the first place that fills with crap....so holes would be just into the crap.

Heavy rains don't seem to be a problem with roof back ups....but ice dams are a killer....lack of insulation in the attic is the biggest culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I can't see where that would do much good.....Actually make no sense to me at all...
    Would you care to clarify that a bit?

My gutters just overflow into the yard.....I have big trees, so I spend a lot of time cleaning them....
    Most likely if the gutters are plugged, the bottom is the first place that fills with crap....so holes would be just into the crap.

Heavy rains don't seem to be a problem with roof back ups....but ice dams are a killer....lack of insulation in the attic is the biggest culprit.
    Sure, I can clarify.
    I was getting musty, moldy smells after big rains and could not find the leak. Turns out my clean gutters were overflowing in the front but also in the rear on one corner. This was allowing the water to get into the wall between two rooms. The wall was inside a closet and after removing the clothes I could see a small water stain. I cut into the sheetrock to find all the studs soaking wet.

I drilled holes in the gutter to prevent more overflowing and then caulked the heck out of everything when the rain stopped. Closer inspection revieled that the corner was fine except for a small gap and the caulk took care of that, no rotting or critter damage. More than likely the gap was started with an ice dam at some point in time.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Now that makes sense.....seems the root cause is with the gutters to start with.....may need to rehang?
    Guess I would never have thought of that, unless it happened to me.

Like I said, mine just overflow into the yard.......and I have a 24" overhang.

I wish I did think of it, it took years and pure luck I found it.

Next time I run out of places to look for a solution to a problem, I will look start looking in the places it should not be...