Thread: What a trip home

Default What a trip home

Not the first time this has happened but not normal for December . Tornado passed between where I turn off the county road and my house. Note that a 5 mile stretch that is marked jeep trail on top of maps and most people take an hour to go those 5 miles . Normal for me is 25 to 30 mins but then I have been driving it for 20 years. I stop counting trees cut out tonight at 20 but can say there were less than 30 of them to clear. Most were in a 2 mile area. Now I normally carry a a chainsaw w/ gas mix,oil, a spare chain ,2 axes , 2 machetes , a rope and a shovel . Tonight I needed the the saw , the spare chain , filled the fuel tank twice, 1 axe and a spare Handel bar mount for the saw. The normal 25 /30 drive was 3 and a half hours long.
    The worst I ever had to cut out on this road took 18 man hours to clear. But I do like my peace and quite.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Was that the system that went from the Gulf of Mexico to the North Pole?

It came through here with 70mph winds and the occasional small twister dropping to the ground.

I was at home where I was supposed to be watching the lightning show out the front window.

Made me glad I ha taken down the two big trees next to the house back in September.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh wow, good thing you were prepared.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

That's the storm. 2 dead and 2 still missing in this area .

Queue Al Gore and global warming video..... Yeah, December and thunderstorms. We had 60°F + temps yesterday. Weird.

Glad it wasn't worse for you. I would have just planted the For Sale sign and went to a hotel.

Very windy here on the shores of Lake Michigan south western side.....
    Not much damage, but was garbage day.....lot of plastic cans rolling down the street.

Rained all day yesterday, would have been a lot of snow.....but in the 50's.
    Don't have to shovel rain.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The local news channel had a chopper in the air to film the tornado damage. They opened with an aerial shot of a limb blown down on a tree. Must have been a really slow news day.

Went back out this morning to do a half day at my shop. Trees that I cut that were 10" or more at 16' were 18 and there were 16 smaller trees that I had to clear . Found Sheetrock by the side of the ridge road that must have come from the house trailer that was twisted about 2.5 miles from there . I was lucky as I counted 11 large trees that fell away from the road.

WOW....
    That's some serious mess.......couple of those would have stopped me cold.

Hope it goes a little easier.....

I carry a small electric(battery) chain saw in the truck.....but would not have got past more that maybe one of the big ones.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad you made it safely.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Unprecedented 72F today in NYC, the greenery and wreaths all over the place look odd. I don't particularly mind, reminds me of my childhood in the south. We'll pay for it somewhere down the road, but for now I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Glad all is well and everyone here is safe. We tend to prep so a crisis simply becomes an inconvenience. This is another prime example to follow.

Good luck with the continued clean up!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten