Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friction fire for old farts who's knees don't bend any longer ?

Question Friction fire for old farts who's knees don't bend any longer ?

Gang,

Due to my arthritis getting worse and my knees not being able to bend comfortably any longer, I was wondering if anyone knows of a friction fire method that doesn't require kneeling ? My knees will bend but it is very painful for me, especially when I get down on my knees and rest my weight on them. I have been successful with the bow drill in the past but now since I have trouble getting up and down, its next to impossible. I can do the ferro rod thing, flint/steel/charcloth, maginifying glass, and Bic lighter, but miss showing off friction fire to the young folks. Anyone got any advice ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

After blowing out a knee, while I was rehabbing I thought about this. I could get down but up was a chore. I doubt it'll get better as the years go by. I thought along the lines of a stool and a long spindle. I saw a hand drill done with a ridiculously long spindle. So I suppose the bow drill would be possible. Brace against the knee as usual. The only difference is the length between the cordage and the fireboard.

Lamewolf....I share your concern, and thinking a fire plow may be the better solution, as it can be done from a sitting position.

Long spindle may also help.....but at this point, hopefully the younger folk you taught over the years can take over the chore....As it should be.

Or the Egyptian pump drill....although this is getting complicated.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_drill#Pump_drill

Personally, not gonna worry about it. ......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I cant help with the friction fire but try drinking POM, 2oz shot a day with meal, to help with joint pain. Its also really good for diabetes, cleaning out your veins and arteries and a few other things, I love the stuff

Have you discussed the problem with your PCP? There are some excellent anti-inflammatory meds on the market. If you can't take them for whatever reason there are also some great pain relievers he/she can prescribe. I feel your pain. No, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I cant help with the friction fire but try drinking POM, 2oz shot a day with meal, to help with joint pain. Its also really good for diabetes, cleaning out your veins and arteries and a few other things, I love the stuff
    OK, what is "POM" ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Might be time to get up off the ground!

There is no rule that says the hearth board must be held down with the foot while kneeling. Sit that sucker on top of the picnic table and get one of the students or observers to hold the hearth board steady while you twirl the spindle.

Once you get a flame light a candle stub so you can transfer the fire to the fire pit at your own pace. Might want to leave the candle burning in case the fire fizzles at the start.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

There is no rule that says the hearth board must be held down with the foot while kneeling. Sit that sucker on top of the picnic table and get one of the students or observers to hold the hearth board steady while you twirl the spindle.

Once you get a flame light a candle stub so you can transfer the fire to the fire pit at your own pace. Might want to leave the candle burning in case the fire fizzles at the start.
    Come on KY, I pack enough gear already and I AM NOT going to start packing a picnic table my friend !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Durn! Kyrat beat me to it! Also I'd have the kids set up the fire lay area with your guidance. Then when you get the flame started transfer the responsibility to them! Make sure they know what to do of course....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I've seen a video where a bow drill was done against a standing tree. Forgot what was used to catch the ember.

The bamboo fire saw can be done while standing.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

How about....
    "hey, you young-ins, ....y'all git that fire going, and start supper, mind gittin enough wood for tonight....I'll be taking a nap now, y'all call me for supper..."
    "If'n y'all take real good care of me..... maybe be a shotgun in it for you,.... when I croak"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Have you discussed the problem with your PCP? There are some excellent anti-inflammatory meds on the market. If you can't take them for whatever reason there are also some great pain relievers he/she can prescribe. I feel your pain. No, I really do.
    Well, the doc prescribed an NSAID but for all it did I might as well took M&M's ! Don't want to get hooked on pain pills if I can avoid it and my problems is more calcium build up than it is inflammation. Getting old sucks ! Anyway, I take 800 mg ibuprofen when the pain gets unbearable but even when I'm on that it hurts when I get down on my prayer bones still. Still trying to figure out what "POM" is that Grizz123 suggested ? If its an alcoholic drink - can't do it due to my blood pressure meds.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Blog Entries

Cool Check it out...

Heard it once said that you know you're getting old when you bend down and tie your shoes, then you look around to see if there's anything else you can do while you're down there!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

There is more than one NSAID on the market. If the one prescribed doesn't work tell your PCP. And there are plenty of pain meds that you won't get hooked on. You don't need morphine just enough to cover the pain and that's only if the anti inflammatory meds bother your liver. I've been using Ultram for about four years. I was using anti inflammatories before that and had to stop them. The Ultram works great. No side effects other than no pain. Good stuff, really.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Thanks

Like I said, I've been using it for a few months now and its turned my life around. Family members told me about it, I tried it and felt better then I researched it online. Its pretty incredible stuff. It sells between $10-$15 for 64oz, which will last about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Thanks

Like I said, I've been using it for a few months now and its turned my life around. Family members told me about it, I tried it and felt better then I researched it online. Its pretty incredible stuff. It sells between $10-$15 for 64oz, which will last about a month.
    Looks like they carry it at the local Walmart and I will give it a try - many thanks !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

As with any dietary supplement it should be okay'd by your PCP to ensure it doesn't have a negative impact with any meds you are taking. Pomegranate juice can cause dangerous side effects with some meds.

As with any dietary supplement it should be okay'd by your PCP to ensure it doesn't have a negative impact with any meds you are taking. Pomegranate juice can cause dangerous side effects with some meds.
    Will it kill me ? That would be an end to my problem !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

thats why I avoid Dr's and drugs and stick to an all natural diet, most of the time...

I felt better the next morning after one drink, My joints didnt snap,crackle, pop as much as they usually did. Now, months later my joints are silent. I also noticed I dont get out of breath as quickly as I used to, my nails are much harder and my skin is softer (girlfriend mentioned that to me).

Working in the power washing business, loading and unloading equipment all day, I would regularly tear my nails at least once a week. Now if they tear, it does not go all the way to the skin, just kind of chips off or bends.

I cant explain the breathing improvement. My guess is I had some sort of lung, heart and or artery issue going on and now I dont get winded nearly as fast as I used to. The GF commented on that also

I've tried other natural remedies and most did nothing for me. I'm still looking for something to help memory but I keep forgetting