Thread: Best BB Guns

Arrow Best BB Guns

I want to know what kind of BB guns are best. I want one that can easily kill squirrels, birds (even airsoft can so thats not a prob), mabye small game.

I dont mind the price if it lasts long. (10-20 years.. hopefully longer). My friends dad has one thats like 30 years old an its good.

Oh the bb gun has to be able to shoot metal bbs (if it can shoot both metal and plastic thats really good).

No airsoft BB guns please.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You don't want to try and kill animals with a regular BB gun period. Not enough power for a clean kill. I keep a pump up BB or pellet gun in the shed next to the woods for snakes & mice. The one you are referring to probably cost more than a good 22. You don't need to kill just for the hell of it anyway, if you do you got problems. My own personal opinion.

i had an incredibly nice $300 beeman spring piston air rifle several years back that took about 45lb to cock the spring back. it still had a bit of trouble killing squirrels reliably, and i don't eat many animals smaller than that, so i wouldn't recommend trying to take small game with an air rifle on that basis alone.

on the other hand, if i had an air rifle handy and needed to take some fowl or rodents, i'd still try to use that over say a rabbit stick, but not over snaring [and i'm not even all that good at snaring]
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Omid View Post
    I want to know what kind of BB guns are best. I want one that can easily kill squirrels, birds (even airsoft can so thats not a prob), mabye small game.

I dont mind the price if it lasts long. (10-20 years.. hopefully longer). My friends dad has one thats like 30 years old an its good.

Oh the bb gun has to be able to shoot metal bbs (if it can shoot both metal and plastic thats really good).

No airsoft BB guns please.
    I used to have one of those bb guns when I was a kid... I used it for target practice.. and never got caught breaking windows with it... I don't know what happened to it.. I think my dad dismantled it and junked it when I grew out of it.. My uncle, a hunter, gave it to me.. against his wishes apparently. Now, as an adult, I have never been able to figure out what a bb gun is useful for... especially in a survival situation except maybe maming animals.. or other kids. It's a toy... face it and move on.

Blog Entries

I want to shot the airsoft gun that can kill a squirl. IMHO, a good .22 rimfire or single shot shot gun in say 20 guage is a better small game getter then a BB or pellet gun.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I spent a lot of time in the woods as a kid with my crossman 760 pellet/BB gun pumped up all the way, killing squirrels, rabbits and grouse without any trouble. Then again I always got real close, usually 20 yards or less so I could shoot them in the head. I couldn't say if it would be bunny lethal much further out than that. .22s work much better from further away.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

I understand the interest from a different perspective. Yes a .22 is more effective but some live in areas of the country where restrictions on firearms preclude anything but and even sometimes including air guns.

I had a Daisy 880 as a kid and my brother in law a Crossman 760. Both were effective for small animals if the range was short (20 yards or less). I also had a hand pellet gun(don't remember brand) that at the time I paid quite a bit for. The hand gun was .177 with lever pump. It took down a possum with a head shot at about 10 yds.

For those who balk at the short ranges, all I can say is take a look at those proposing blow darts. etc. Also if you are someone who has snared an animal and are looking for a stand off alternative to dispatching your catch...

I am afraid I can't give any recommendations on what is currently on the market but will say that what we had worked. I will also say think about some upgrades on any plastic parts. Wooden stocks etc. were available and this was a nice durability upgrade(although with weight gain). I remember my brother in law added a nice scope and did other tinkering like decreasing his pumping effort(no I don’t know what he did).

Also a nice bonus is the amount of ammo that can be reasonably carried.
    2lbs. of pellets was really a pant load.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I would like to know why you want to kill rabbits, squirrels and birds? If you are talking about something to kill for food or just to see if it can be done. I might have stated my first answer to your post wrong. If I did please correct me.

bb guns are toys or plinkers I use a RWS for target practice and some small game it shoots a pellet at 1000 fps and will easily kill grouse squirrel and rabbits in the hands of a skilled shooter but is borderline otherwise is the lowest air type rifle i would reccomend for hunting though and a 22 would be more adequate

@Ole WV Coot: it would be for food. The reason for a BB as opposed to a .22 would be silence

That response only took nine years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

@Ole WV Coot: it would be for food. The reason for a BB as opposed to a .22 would be silence
    Not real sure if Ole WV Coot is gonna see this....hasn't been around since 2011...
    Looks like you haven't been either....
    So Welcome back.....

Inquiring minds want to know..... what kind if BB gun you ended up with .....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had a Gamo Whisper with scope .177 plenty of power to kill small game. House got broken into and it got stolen paid around $300.00 if your looking for a air rifle that won't break the bank I recommend that . On the other hand if you buy a single shot or tube feed .22 and use CB ammo your range is about 100 yards good for city's and such. Not enough power to cycle a semi auto I use them in my Henry .22 when distance is a issue. You can buy a blued Henry H001 for a little more than the Gamo, think I paid $360.00 for that Henry model
    Semper Paratus

I suppose I'll ask the question that is on everybody's mind. Since it has been 9-1/2 years since the original post...............are you old enough to buy a real gun now?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I suppose I'll ask the question that is on everybody's mind. Since it has been 9-1/2 years since the original post...............are you old enough to buy a real gun now?
    Bhohahaha....I was trying to find out what he ended up with?.....But yeah, same question.

You guys act like you never broke probation and had to serve out your time, sheesh. 9 1/2 years ain't nuthin!

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea those juvenile court dispositions are open ended. You stay in until you complete the program requirements or turn 18! If the offense is bad enough they can keep you until 19.

I think the question addresses a moot point since he obviously found a way to feed himself on roots and berries in the absence of the BB gun.

I did get a laugh out of that part where it had to be rabbit lethal using plastic BBs!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Around here you have to be careful.....squirrels shoot back....Use enough gun.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

As someone else wrote earlier, I too killed a lot of squirrels as a kid with a crossman 760, you just had to be close. Pellets were a much better killer than a bb though. More than once would have to grab one by the tail and bounce his head off a tree. A few yrs back during the days you couldn't find .22 shells around here, I got a Ruger impact .22 pellet rifle. If I'd had it as a kid I would have run out of squirrels.

Hunter63, thank you for welcoming me back. Crashdive123 you were the first person I remember from these forums, amazing to see you are still very very active. That is immense dedication and very commendable. To answer your question, yes I am now old enough for a real gun. I just graduated college; I must have been 12 years old when I first posted. Many things have changed since then, but my passion for the outdoors and survival has grown immensely. I'm also much more conservative.

P.S. I ended up getting a Ruger Super Hawk as a pellet gun.