Thread: Something eating my trees

Default Something eating my trees

I just finished the fall yard cleanup yesterday and was bummed about some trees I lost.
    Last summer, my 5 year old peach tree had mysteriously tipped to one side by itself. I thought it was because the weight of the fruit so I propped it up until harvest time, then forgot about it. Declared it unsalvageable yesterday as the trunk was loose in the ground.

When I dug it out, I found that all of the roots had been gnawed off on one side Almost like a beaver but about 3" underground.
    On a trip around the yard I found a cider-crabapple and a medlar leaning to one side. This was new damage. The crabapple had roots eaten on one side the same as the peach. The medlar was chewed clean off right up to the trunk.

Found a small underground tunnel at the medlar about 2" in diameter.
    I can't believe chipmunks are doing this. I had a chipmunk take out about half of my sweet potato patch this year and a whole row of carrots. Never heard of them eating tree roots though. Looking online, it also looks like it could be voles but I've never seen voles here.
    Guess it's time to set the rat traps in covered pits near the other two crabapples and find out.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Best guess is voles. They are notorious for girdling trees both above and below ground. If you have mole tunnels in the yard the voles will be happy to use them. They are the fastest things on four legs above ground. I've had them around the house and they are just a blur if you catch them on the surface. I think they are part ninja. They only eat insects so you won't have to worry about them invading your house. I guess that's the good news. If you have mole tunnels then just step on one and flatten it. If you come back in a day or two and it's built up you know that's an active tunnel and one you can set traps on it.

If the tree is only damaged on one side and you can solve the vole problem then I'd leave the trees in the ground. If the other half of the roots are in good shape they should recover but it will take some time, obviously.

Yeah, I left the little crab apple in the ground. The peach and the medlar were too far gone. Trouble is, the ground just started freezing here yesterday. I went out to put a trap hole in a little bit ago and had to use the mattock to break the top crust. Actually the ground should be frozen 4" solid by now, but we won't go there...
    We'll see if the trap catches the culprit. That particular run might not be active now though, after it ate all the roots off.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Best guess is voles. They are notorious for girdling trees both above and below ground. If you have mole tunnels in the yard the voles will be happy to use them. They are the fastest things on four legs above ground. I've had them around the house and they are just a blur if you catch them on the surface. I think they are part ninja. They only eat insects so you won't have to worry about them invading your house. I guess that's the good news. If you have mole tunnels then just step on one and flatten it. If you come back in a day or two and it's built up you know that's an active tunnel and one you can set traps on it.

If the tree is only damaged on one side and you can solve the vole problem then I'd leave the trees in the ground. If the other half of the roots are in good shape they should recover but it will take some time, obviously.
    wow! aside from beaver there was also this voles?! hmm... there are truly different kinds of species that damages our trees and crafts. how sad! i think it is much better if we also plant a trick to capture those creatures.

Probably not in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirere1978 View Post
    wow! aside from beaver there was also this voles?! hmm... there are truly different kinds of species that damages our trees and crafts. how sad! i think it is much better if we also plant a trick to capture those creatures.
    What?.....are you taking about?...Plant a trick?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Probably just waiting to come back and edit the post. There's a good potential for ..................

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think they meant Trap.

Never did catch the vole but haven't lost any more trees that way so maybe one of the feral cats got it.
    The rodent problem here is out of control. I've never seen chipmunks climb trees before, but I caught site of two of them stripping the cherry tree one afternoon last July.
    We also have a digger squirrel. The thing is single-mindedly fixated on digging 3" deep holes all over the yard and gardens. Been doing it all summer.
    Particularly bummed that a catbird ate all the grapes that were just going purple. Never occurred to me to net them. Bet my neighbor is gonna be PO'd if that bird flies over his perpetually washed cars...

The squirrel buried a stash of nuts last year but forgot where. You better hope he finds it soon. Chipmunks are the most evil creatures ever designed. They will crack concrete in short order. I trap those stupid things every summer.

Two catbirds were talking.
    "Say, did you see how clean Lowkey's neighbor's car is?"
    "You bet. I spotted it yesterday."

Sky Rat to Dirty Bird....Come in please......
    Do you have target in radar lock....?
    Open fire!!!!!!!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am more concerned that he finished his fall yard cleanup this past weekend????

I don't know about anyone else but I will be mowing and tending the lawn until the end of October!

Where are you Low Key??

I thought you were in Mass and I did not know summer was over in mid August there?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?