Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The magic that adventure works on people

Quote Originally Posted by Dynanim View Post
    Interesting. Do you know what he was trying to prove to himself? Doesn't sound like it was really helping him.
    Who knows why some people force themselves into uncomfortable things. Maybe he bumped himself up into another level of confidence. Maybe he just completed the hairiest thing he'll ever do. Maybe both. I know I get blank stares sometimes when I tell someone about my "adventures".

Interesting post, walks.in2.trees.

These forms of adventure without leaving your couch are unhealthy unless combined with physical activity. Our bodies release hormones such as adrenalin when stimulated by excitement or stress, and these hormones trigger the flight/fight/freeze response by either activating or deactivating various physiological processes. When unused, such as in the case of movies and video games, they contribute to the production of fat.

Stealth camping seems to be gaining traction; sometimes because of necessity, other times just for the thrill. That aspect of camping adds escape and evasion skills to the list of benefits that camping gives.

Please explain a bit more about the clueless, spoiled people and do-gooders.

I like your name by the way. It’s very graphic. Walking into trees seems painful though. Sounds like you need protective gear!
    Not saying it's good or bad, just saying that's the reason. Most people do the majority of their adventuring when young. Kids go out to play, imagine themselves in situations... And as they get older explore the wider world until military or college or a job, but now kids go home and fire up the video games. When I was a kid, I had several thousand acres of woods and fields to explore around the land my parents own. I'd go out every day after school from the age of 9, and I've been that way ever since. Oddly, I think college offers the most opportunity for adventure, outside of the military, though I'm not sure how much actual adventuring happens in the military, but one of the girls I went to school with is a biologist, and apparently is studying some bird in the Midwest, camping, and getting paid to do it. I see college kids posting on fb about taking some courses in foreign countries...a semester in London, another in Paris... That's another type of adventure, also not like the movies though (I have a particular set of skills, learned over a long successful career...)

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by walks.in2.trees; 12-23-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hate dang sink holes. You would think any sink hole worth it's salt would open up beneath the White House. But nooooooooo. They have to happen everywhere else. Washington National Sink Hole. Sort of has a ring to it don't you think?

The politician that will get my vote will promise to open a sink hole beneath D.C. and not stop until every politicians has been swallowed....including himself or herself or itself, whatever.
    Oh, its already a sinkhole.... The financial kind... And the metaphysical kind as well lol

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it’s a bit sad, hempie, but at least they’re getting out there. It may be lame to people that have done a lot more, but who knows? Seeing the wonders of nature from a car might just be the start of more exploration for some of them: the spark that ignites the desire. I came from a family of non-campers/hikers from a culture of non-campers/hikers, so it’s not an impossibility. We can just try to nurture the desire in others.

It’s not everyone’s desire to improve themselves, let alone doing it by going into the wild. They’d say, “Heaven forbid! Perish the thought!” or more eloquently… “FLICK OFF!”

Self-improvement requires commitment and effort, and that’s something that many people just aren’t willing to do. So, hat tip to you, for teaching your kids! I tried teaching my daughter, but she’s just not interested anymore. She used to be when she was younger, but not since she became a teenager. Maybe one day, it might come back.

What good traits do you think it instills in people?
    She does think she is princess of the mountain...I hope that lasts forever. I know it wont though. I think that when people see vastness, like the ocean or a valley from on top of the ridge it puts them in place. Makes your head get a lot smaller and realize you are only but a small spec riding on a small spec floating through a limitless universe. The best way I can explain it is "Its how I find God". You notice it in people even in the comfort bubble, so I do agree with you on it being a catalyst, I just wish more people would get up and go, turn off the tv and explore.

Been absent for a while, and I can't use the excuse that a racoon the size of a bear took my computer away - we don't have any here! I've just been enjoying the lead-up to Christmas with friends and family.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I wish you all that you hope for in the coming year!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Henry David Thoreau

www.dynanim.zone
    Self-improvement for Superheroes

Dynanim Village
    A community for dynanims on Google+

Dynanim Face
    A community for dynanims on Facebook

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Been absent for a while, and I can't use the excuse that a racoon the size of a bear took my computer away - we don't have any here!
    Just imagine a carnivorous 10kilo koala bear with stripes, teeth, claws and a bad attitude that takes immediate ownership of everything it sees.

Delightful creatures, and able to kill a good sized dog.

Probably good that they have not been imported to Oz. We sent some to Japan back in the '70s and it has turned a disaster.,
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sound like cute little buggers. I might have to import some as gifts to certain people I know.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Henry David Thoreau

www.dynanim.zone

Dynanim Village

Dynanim Face

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Just imagine a carnivorous 10kilo koala bear with stripes, teeth, claws and a bad attitude that takes immediate ownership of everything it sees.

Delightful creatures, and able to kill a good sized dog.

Probably good that they have not been imported to Oz. We sent some to Japan back in the '70s and it has turned a disaster.,
    Also, they are really intelligent and are very good with their front paws at opening things.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just think Guardians of the Galaxy.

I have always though it was slightly insulting that the evolutionists decided we evolved from an ape like ancestor.

A raccoon like creature would have been much preferred.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't know about their intelligence. They raided our camp one night and ate Crisco and fishing worms. Not my first choice. There were Crisco paw prints EVERYWHERE.

Yes, racoons are interesting. Lots of fun to watch with their antics. I had one as a pet as a kid. My kids did too along with possums. I've climbed and knocked a few down out of trees along with porcupines too. Dangerous if you don't know your trees, but I knew the trees and played in those top skinny branches in the high winds for the big scary ride many times as a kid and I only fell once end over end grabbing for branches....just got scratched up. Not that I didn't far from other trees over young stupid mistakes. Like sitting on a small vine to strip bark off of a tree for a shelter, or just wanting to climb and knock down a dead tree. The later being very dangerous and that one hurt.
    Anyhow, I know I can bend the branch over and shake them out. It does take quite a dog to best a coon. But, a man with a boot or a stick....the coons got a problem. Possums....you just walk up and pick them up by the back of the neck. Done that too a couple times.

If we evolved from racoons, what sort of hat would Davey Crockett have worn?

"Also, they are really intelligent and are very good with their front paws at opening things." - Sounds like some people I know, except for the 'really intelligent' part.

They ate Crisco?! How big is he/she? How many did it take to overpower him/her?

www.dynanim.zone

Dynanim Village

Dynanim Face

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page