Thread: Possibly the worst thread ever on WS. But I thought I would share.

Default Possibly the worst thread ever on WS. But I thought I would share.

About a week ago as best as I can guess, a tenant died in an apartment with a person I am working with. The body was not discovered till 4-5 days later. My co-workers tell me its very hard to get the smell out of the nose for up to 2 days. Some how the roaches bloomed and I am sharing so many they were on the ceilings, doorways and in the electronics and heaters. I am talking 10k+ in a 1 bed apartment. I have to go in and eliminate as many as possible. I will go back in after the next hatch.

Have I begun to share with you the smell? The body was removed on Friday and the warm weather well did not help.

Here is what I wanted to share...

Turns out, A class one full face mask with dual filter get most crap out of the air. Prior to entering I asked a co-worker about Organic Vapors that are hazardous, and it got them too...(Vapona) I know that smell too...so I am having a good night tonight...(a damn nice drink)

Depending on your needs I would suggest the best well fitting face mask you can afford. By the way beards can defeat this device.

Have a safe preppier & survival night......That is all.

Woo
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

You sound like my shop partner in Tech school...that was a CSI for the PD.

Was telling me about the big fans they carried around on the truck........start them up to vent a "stinky house"....kept the lookie-loos at a distance.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Having worked security at a hospital and being in charge of the morgue, I understand. That is a distinct smell that one cannot forgot.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I worked for a funeral home in high school. (I know that answers a lot of questions. Still....). Picking someone up that has been deceased for a while is no joy. Someone that has been exposed to the summer weather for a few days is truly rank. I'm not sure anything stops the smell. A strong constitution is required.

Yep - been there, done that, threw out the t-shirt.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I worked for a funeral home in high school.
    Gotta getta date to prom some how!

Decomp. uuuhg.

A friend who was like a big brother to me and my brothers didn't show up for work for a few days (we both taught at the same school). I banged on his door and got no response. Our assistant principal (also a family friend) finally decided something must be really wrong. Gary wasn't big on home security and left several easy access points into the house. Tom could smell him from the back yard. Gary kept 5 dogs inside. A very sad end to a nice guy. The house needed professional cleaning and refurb. Didn't sell for a long long time.

I have been working with ozone for my job for a little while now. It can really kill bad odors. Once you clean the place up, a hefty dose of ozone will make it smell so much better. Just make sure that you aren't in the room when you ozonate it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by natertot
    Gotta getta date to prom some how!

Well, yeah...hey.....wait a minute.

Was doing a service clean and check in a funeral home....they were washing stuff in the equipment room....not vented out side....all sorts of "stuff" on the burners in the furnace....???

Anyway,.... I was running my big vacuum, trying to clean it out, next to the show room....had guy laid out next door.
    Lady came in and "shushed" me....saying "Have you no respect for the dead?"
    Told her, "What the heck, he can't hear it anyway......".....Boss wasn't happy about that.

I think she was a ghoul....well, kinda looked like one....and director of the home reminded me of a vulture....sitting on the fence waiting for some one to die......

Well you said, "The worse thread ..ever"....Right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, ozone works good. Completely eliminates odors easily. I've seen it destroy mold growing on walls etc. They've been around for awhile and I don't know of anything else that works as good.

Worked one summer driving a rendering truck part time. Many times the animals were too far gone and you couldn't use the winch to pull the animals in the truck and you had to resort to using a grain shovel.

The owner of the truck sons were my helpers, and one of them climbed up on the side of the truck one time and lost his footing, fell in head first, and I had to grab his legs and pull him out. It made a large slurping sound as I pulled him from out of the pile of carcasses. He was completely crawling with maggots and soaked with juices.

Made him ride in the back to the next farmer's house and we asked to borrow a hose to wash him off.

After a while you got used to the smell, we would sit on the hood of the truck and eat our sack lunches.

Got some dirty looks if you pulled into a convenience store to buy some snacks though.

Yeah know that smell . Worked 9 years as an EMT in Nashville Tn.I think maybe the worst was one that had been down for 9 days in July with no air conditioner . The windows were black with flies .

I was told that cops around bodies use Vicks Salve for the nose and chew on cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by tallgrass View Post
    I was told that cops around bodies use Vicks Salve for the nose and chew on cigars.
    Don't do the vick's. trust me, don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Don't do the vick's. trust me, don't do it!
    I wondered about that... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I have been working with ozone for my job for a little while now. It can really kill bad odors. Once you clean the place up, a hefty dose of ozone will make it smell so much better. Just make sure that you aren't in the room when you ozonate it.
    Me too rats die in the walls... a machine can devour it in a day. I charge premium $400 for a house. Takes six hours to knock it down.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Having dealt with the freshly dead in my work, and knowing even THAT smell is unpleasant, I can't nor do I want to know it too personally after several days in a hot house. Ugh. Sorry you had to deal with that.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!