Thread: Time to load or update your winter emergency kits in the car or truck!!

Default Time to load or update your winter emergency kits in the car or truck!!

Just a reminder, load or update your emergency kits cause winter is here! The girls always seem to humor me when I put the winter items in their emergency kits, and tell them what I did!
    They look at me like Okaaayyyyyyy, that's good thank you, then maybe an eye roll between them! But to me it is a very important thing to have! Severe cold takes a survival situation and multiplies it by at least 2 if not more!
    This year I bought a pint of peppermint Schnapps for the kits. They really thought I was crazy when I told them that, until I mentioned that the plastic water bottles would probably be frozen, but the Schnapps wont be, so at least they can get a sip of something until they can thaw the water out. Plus it has a good flavor and isn't a strong drink.
    After I explained that they thought it was a great idea. We are not big drinkers, but in an emergency, a small sip of Schnapps is definitely better than nothing, or at least that's my opinion!! Does anybody else do this?
    As long as the bottle is unopened, there is nothing wrong with having a bottle of Schnapps, and it is always ready to go!!!!

Good reminder.......

Most all "Gear" stays in vehicles years around.....
    Water snacks and batteries get changed out Daylight saving time spring and fall.

Haven't carried a truck bottle in a few years.....mine was always brandy...but I do like Dr's Peppermint is good.
    Might have to add a 1/2 pint.

DW car is at the dealer for oil change and service....as I type this.....but chose to that the shuttle home while they worked on it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good reminder. I need to add a pair of socks to my kit for those cold Florida days.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Indeed. I must remind Geeves to check the bags.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My gear is in my trunk 24/7, 365. One can never be too prepared and better to have it and not need ,than need it and not have it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

some things like in winter snow shovel,tow chains cause i've had to hep dig and pull others out of the snow
    blankets ,water single burner prpane stove and three 1lb cylinders,emergency beeswax candles,freeze dry foods
    a ct of smokes energy bars,large ifak,xtra gloves socks,insulated bibs fluids for the car and so on,

For those of you outside of Florida....if you store water in your vehicle, put it in a cooler to keep it from freezing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    For those of you outside of Florida....if you store water in your vehicle, put it in a cooler to keep it from freezing.
    Actually....that's good advice.

It will freeze anyway.....But in a cooler....it won't leak all over the vehicle,.... if the bottles break.
    Haven't had any break even though they were frozen so hard you could pound nails with them.

Yep tried the cooler trick here too, I just keep the water bottles in a separate tote and let them freeze! But it would take a while to thaw them out so that's why I carry Schnapps! I always have the kits in all of our vehicles, but I add and take out things to match the time of year, install new batteries, put in new food if needed, and just make sure everything is good.
    Emergency kits kept in cars go through many heat / cold cycles so things done last as long as they normally would!!!

Aspirins and other meds in FAK's......really go bad in hurry.......

Had aspirins smell so bad, would make you gag....
    Benadryl's melt down.....just to name a few.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Working outdoors in Pennsylvania and trying to keep water from freezing in a vehicle during winter is a challenge, lost many containers that had water and froze in the car overnight by forgetting to bring them indoors, but one of my favorite containers was an Army water canteen not the metal ones but the one made out of plastic. I would carry them but not fill them to the top with water so when they froze and expanded it would not brake, I was always in a car so I would use the heater to defrost the canteen when left overnight in the car, this worked for 25 years and I don't remember loosing one to freezing, they are tough! In my truck I would use a clean plastic milk bottle filled one third with water and stored is a plastic box type container for when they sprang a leak it would be contained. Now with the availability of folding water bottles, as long as you don't fill them to the top, it may work to carry emergency water in your vehicle during the winter, I have not tried those but they may work.

Good info here as well as reminders.

A word of caution with alcohol in the winter. It is actually easier to get dehydrated in cold temps than warm temps. That is because your body uses blows through water producing heat to maintain core temps. Because people are cold, they do not feel as compelled to drink so dehydration begins to advance quickly. If you are in a predicament where you have to use emergency supplies, chances are the alcohol will further dehydration making a bad thing worse.

Not saying don't have it. Just be careful to fully evaluate the situation before implementation.

I use older 32oz Gatorade bottles for water storage. Got three of them filled about 3/4 full and squeezed in on the sides a bit. They are stored in a small cheap Styrofoam cooler. They freeze, but not a hard freeze and never leak. They can generally begin going back to water in very short order.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Good info here as well as reminders.

A word of caution with alcohol in the winter. It is actually easier to get dehydrated in cold temps than warm temps. That is because your body uses blows through water producing heat to maintain core temps. Because people are cold, they do not feel as compelled to drink so dehydration begins to advance quickly. If you are in a predicament where you have to use emergency supplies, chances are the alcohol will further dehydration making a bad thing worse.
    Note people who say this really want to keep the booze all to themselves....Bhohahaha

You are "surviving" anyway right....things are dim, batteries going dead on smart phone.....most likely not gonna make it......so..........Bottoms up!

Bazinga

Yeah, if the situation reveals immanent death, I'm chugging away......... I'm going out blitzed and singing karaoke! Do you keep the karaoke machine in the winter preps? I may have to look into that......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

some form of electrolytes should also be carried as well.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Yeah, if the situation reveals immanent death, I'm chugging away......... I'm going out blitzed and singing karaoke! Do you keep the karaoke machine in the winter preps? I may have to look into that......
    You mean this one?....
    No that stays in the shop....but can pressed into service in case of a TEOTWAWKI.....with the lawn chairs and brewskies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Indeed. I must remind Geeves to check the bags.

All just a bit of fun

Bet the Survival Shack looks more like this

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

if you store water in your vehicle, put it in a cooler to keep it from freezing.

The 2 quart military canteen or 1 liter soda bottle works well. Fill half full, squeeze out the remaining air and cap. You won't have to worry about it rupturing.