Thread: Picture hanging wire

Default Picture hanging wire

Been getting ready to build some rabbit snares with #2 hanging wire. But is it flexible enough to wrap around a stake or to make a loop?

Sent from my XT1040 using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are better choices.

If you go to any hardware/building supply store you can buy 24-28 gauge soft iron wire in rolls that will serve you much better. You will probably have to leave the Walmart and go to a real hardware store.

I suppose one could make the braided hanging wire work, just like one can make automotive wire or a boot lace work.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

3/32" wire rope works good!

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Good place to say hello.

I not real sure what #2 picture hanging wire is....but gonna guess that is what you have?

If its the soft braded wire should have no problem making loops and tying off the ends.......and will take a lot of twisting.
    But do agree that there maybe better choices....as has been brought up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I wouldn't use it unless I had nothing else. Follow Kyrat's advice. You can get brass, stainless steel or copper in those gauges for pretty cheap. All the big box stores carry it. I've picked up some at Ace Hardware. Some places call it hobby wire.

Lowkey or someone has posted on using airplane wire....but I would imagine that ticks off the pilots. Still....

Here's a post I did a while back.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=snare

Those are security wires, used with locks. I use em to keep things like my spare oar in the boat or the gas tripod burner on the back porch from wandering off by itself. I might even use em to secure the gas cans when I go fill them and have other stops to make on the way back. They're not snares. Snares are illegal here.
    As for the pilots, that's what redundancy systems are for. Sheesh.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Snares are illegal. I shoulda known.

s.s. trolling line works good. Years ago picture hanging wire was all I used but have switched over to the trolling line. I've also used copper stranded wirepulled from a old cord. Pull out enough strands to twist together a wire about a 1/16 of a inch in dia.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You can buy the best quality small game snare for less than 1$ each in bulk.

Why mess with wire that is at best an improvisation?
    Owner and writer of quietsurvivalist.com