Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are REAL grits

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I just love this scene.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My father told me many times how they made hominy, when he was a boy, by putting a bag of ashes in the water then remove the skins from the corn. I've also heard of others just dumping the ashes in the water after running the ashes through a screen. Today it is almost always made with lime and some will use bicarbonate of soda. When hominy is made the skins always come off. Hominy grits are ground corn first soaked in lye, lime or bicarbonate of soda, skins removed, dried then ground. There are other foods where the corn is soaked in less lye, lime or soda and then used with the skin still intact, but it is not really hominy. I am not sure what corn they make hominy from today, but it has the appearance of the same corn they have used for hundreds of years that is not sweet. Today they have special names for it. One name I recall is King Kane. It appears to be the same corn as corn nuts are made from. It was the corn of the south certainly in the 30's until whenever sweet corn became popular.