Thread: night flying aircraft

Default night flying aircraft

does anyone have knowledge of faa reg's on aircraft flying at night 150ft off the deck
    with no visible lights i saw a twin engine plane prop mabey 6seater just after dusk it was dark by then.
    flying over the house. and no i did not see any chutes pop out as it passed over. but serios is that legal?

nope, aircraft are required to have a red light port, green light starboard both facing forward. They also have to have white lights facing rearward both port and starboard side. Once they are below a certain altitude, they are required to be lit up like crazy with white lights for landing and taxiing. I am not sure of the altitude requirement for those lights, but 1000 feet seems to come to mind.

I don't know what you can do about it, other than make a complaint to the FAA. Not sure what they can or will do about it. They'll probably just take a complaint and you'll never hear anything about it again.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Good post, crash, but pretty sure they have to have lights as well. Nor do they have to be 150ft off the ground to do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Good post, crash, but pretty sure they have to have lights as well. Nor do they have to be 150ft off the ground to do their thing.
    I just looked into it, and as long as they have a signal beacon then they do not have to have lights and because they are gov't LEO aircraft, they do not have altitude restrictions. Thanks Crash, you got me to learn sumthin new!

Are you sure it was an aircraft?

When Eric Rudolph was hiding out near our place in WNC in and around 2000, we observed and heard many aircraft night flying with bare minimum lighting...and sometimes we couldn't find the source of the noise when it was right above us.

...just sayin.

oh i forgot to mention that i live in the center of a aircraft vectoing zone.

I stayed in Deming New Mexico for a few weeks, and the drug drop planes use to fly over my motel doing that same thing!!

And by 'let go' I'm sure they mean 'retained in long term databases which are just not looked at, they promise.'

hah. The biggest legal problem for such a practice that I can think of is likely to be disruption of service assuming these DRT boxes function as conventional IMSI catchers; seemingly the least of the actual problems with surveillance of that sort.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I thought drug plane too.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I don't really think there are a lot of drug planes in the middle of Bumdepluck, Minnesota....supplies maybe?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well maybe not in the winter. But you gotta be careful about going out in the deep woods just about anywhere these days. Might run into a "farm." Just sayin.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant