Thread: Squirrel Pole Snare Help

Default Squirrel Pole Snare Help

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some input on an issue I'm having with my squirrel pole. I did catch a squirrel, but the trap did not strangle him quickly. Here are some details:

Trap Construction:

-Horizontally oriented straight branch spanning from two trees.
    -Soup can fastened to middle of horizontal branch with bait inside. Two 20 gauge copper wire snares at either side of the can.
    -Wire length had squirrel hanging 8" below branch.

When I found the large black squirrel, he was gripping onto the pole with the noose around his neck. He jumped from the pole and hung himself but was not being completely suffocated. I guess the noose was unable to tighten further. I had to dispatch him myself and am concerned that this trap will not dispatch these animals cleanly.

Does anybody have advice on how to make this trap setup kill more quickly? I really appreciate your feedback and assistance.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is a intro section at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Lots of discussion on the pole traps.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...el-Pole-Snares
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Many times snares do not kill cleanly and instantly. That is one reason why they are illegal in many areas.

BTW, most states require a trapping license, even if you are on your own land. When you check the regulations do not be surprised to find that noose snares are illegal in your area. Without an intro we do not know what your area might be and can not assist you with that.

You make a trade off. You use the squirrel pole for survival food gathering and are simply thankful for the food using whatever means was available or you use another system, like rat traps or other sure killing devices.

However, you now know that the Squirrel pole works. You might want to put that information in the back of your mind and save it for a "survival emergency".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Around here squirrels have a defined hunting season. The gray ones anyway.
    The red ones and chipmunks are fair game any time of year.
    But snares are definitely illegal.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Default Pole action

From a survival point of view , sounds as if your wire is a touch heavy. I have always had the best results with very light wire or spruce roots. Snares should be many and on route to the can as well as at the can. In this way the snare has time to tighten. Most of the time there is no bait and the animal is just moving across quickly making it more effective. Squirrels are agile and likely to hop so make sure they are clustered in a way that won't allow a hop to clear them all.

Try Google =Snaring the western red squirrel. A tutorial by Trapper Ron. Excellent...... Tut

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Thank you for making clear some facts regarding these traps. I made a bad construction so I didn't catch any squirrels.