Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multi tool or knife

Default multi tool or knife

Guys, I would be very grateful if you could give some tips about the multi tool. Is it a must-have thing? Should I buy a good multi tool or to buy a good knife? What is better, more useful?
    thanks

What do you intend to use it for?
    You can buy both a good fixed blade knife and a multi-tool.
    I have several different multi-tools but carry a Victorinox "SwissTool" practically everyday...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

if it's for camping just try to think of all things or equpt that might require a multi tool.
    myself ive never found the need for one always carry a knife though.

Get a good fixed blade knife.......will be the most used tool.
    As to what kind or brand?...that debate would go on forever.

Then add a SAK in you pocket.

Search all the Best knife threads for tips.

I have carried a multi tool and not really used it .....but that is just my experience.
    Do have a Mini multi tool in a belt pouch EDC.....that has small flashlight.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-24-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

FIRST, you spelled Tennessee wrong! Yes that is a big deal! Tennessee is the third best state right after Kentucky and Arizona. Texas used to be second but we had to ban one of the Texas guys and it changed my entire perspective on that state.

SECOND There is no law saying you can not have both a knife and a multi-tool on you at the same time. I carry a pocket knife habitually. I also carry a multi-tool on my belt sometimes, as well as in the console of each vehicle and a couple extra floating around for odd jobs in tackle boxes and tool boxes.

You will find that the two tools serve different functions. I did a pole a while back here and on a British forum. While the knife is viewed primarily a cutting tool, with a few deranged souls thinking a knife is a crowbar, the multi-tool was viewed as what it is, an all purpose device.

Most folks said they used the pliers most frequently, while some use the screwdriver blades most with the wire cutter also being constantly used. Of the folks saying they preferred the multi-tool over the knife, none of them used it primarily as a cutting tool. So the people that use them do not view them as a replacement for the knife, but as a total tool package that happens to have a sharp blade somewhere in the bundle.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-24-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Just like KYRS said, for me, a multi-tool is an addition to a knife. A good knife is better than the knife on your multi-tool. Or you can think of the knife on the multi-tool as a last ditch knife...to be used when you can't find your primary knife. I use a lot of the tools on a multi-tool. For me, pliers, scissors, a saw, can opener, screw driver, and sometimes the file are the reason I carry a multi-tool.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    FIRST, you spelled Tennessee wrong! .
    Sorry for the typos.

Now I have this multi-tool. https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/e...179_5090_nebo/

It is cheap, so I don’t expect much quality from it. The good knife will cost a lot. I liked Fallkniven A1.

I'm on board with Kyrat and finally me. For camping I prefer a knife. Day to day urban, I prefer my Gerber. Either case, I always carry both along with an assortment of other stuff.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I carry razor sharp Buck knife in my pocket, and a fairly sharp fixed blade on my side. The SAK's stays in my backpack and get home bags and I rarely use them. The SAK's can be invaluable for some things so you do need to keep one in your bag!
    My answer is that you need both! Your knife will be used a lot, SAK rarely and only for delicate repairs!

The last couple years, I've whittled my multitool down to a Leatherman Skeletool. Use it pretty much daily in my job or when out fishing. Only need the pliers, #2 Philips, and knife. No sense carrying around nose hair scissors and a nail file and what all else they put in those things these days. Depends on where I'm going re the fixed-blade knife. A lot of places around here, a knife with a blade longer than 3" will get you in trouble with the law. I bring one fishing, for sticking bluefish and cutting bait, but I'd never wear it where it could be seen. I do have an old folding grafting knife I use as a pocket knife. It has the incurved blade kinda like a linoleum cutter. Not only has it been a good knife, it's great for shucking cherrystones.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I carry both, I could get by with just a multi tool but to be honest I forget it has a knife. The only time I use the knife on my multi tool is to cut nasty stuff, scraping......stuff you shouldn't do with a knife. I've carried a sog multi tool for many years, although lately I've been considering a gerber because I have more need for regular pliers than needle nose.

I also carry a larger version of my sog in my bag. I use the pliers most on both followed by the screwdrivers occasionally, if your running around in the woods theres not much use for one unless you drive any kind of vehicle.

Kyrat said it better I'm actually surprised hunter63 didn't find much use for one.

I've never found much use for one either. As you said, there is not much use for one in the woods. I find them heavy to tote on me. I have them in my vehicles but I also have tools so I rarely use one. I guess it's like anything else. If you carry one you'll find a use for it. If you don't then you'll use something else.

I guess I have depended on the SAK mostly.... rather than the Multi tool.....and do use the blade, screwdriver, scissors....and tooth pick on the SAK the most.
    It's getting used to using something I guess......

Info Tech guy at our factory and I were working on buying , installing loading and operating a inventory and production system.

He was a big Leatherman multi tool guy....but as were working our way though different departments, I was using my SAK and he the multi tool.... to open towers, and other equipment...
    One day he borrowed the SAK, showed up the next day with a SAK.....and didn't carry the multi tool.

Then again on the other hand....years back...I had picked up a Leatherman....they had just become popular.
    Liked it, so had gotten my brother one as well......he was a don't carry anything guy.

He has most likely worn one out every years or so since....but I kinda went back to the SAK and stayed there.

Made a decision to attempt to parry down "belt stuff".

My little mini multi tool, gives me a use maybe once in a while pliers (light duty), flashlight, screw driver blades, and a knife blade and Mini Bic, cut down Ferro rod/cotton balls in a small SAK pouch takes the place of the Leatherman, Mini Mag flashlight, and fire kit.

If you have it you will use it...If you don't.... you will find something else.

Well, I had years of SAK'S. sort of like your first car and then you grow up. Wave is better, sharper, slightly harder steel and flat out better thought out... That's my IMO and I use a Wave every day. Nothing personal.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Use my multitool all the time, mostly the knife and pliars, occasionally the screwdriver and file, but then, I'm a cyclist, the multi tool knife is great for things you wouldn't want to ruin your good knife on, like opening boxes at work. When camping, I use it folded up to press tent pegs into the dirt, and maybe hammer a little bit if needed, pliars to pull em out, if they're frozen in. On the bike, I can work on the brake and shifter cables, cut squares of tire tube for patches. It can't replace a full sized knife for those things you need one for though.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Oh, and my best use of the needle noise pliars, is to grab ticks before they grab me. Deer ticks are tiny, and don't crush easily with your fingers, but are no match for pliars!

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

hello
    The vast majority of consumers should look no further than the Leatherman Wave. Of course, I’m talking about the New Wave which replaced the original Wave in 2004 and has ruled the multitool kingdom ever since. The Wave is now a full-sized multitool with 17 tools crammed into a superbly designed body that is small enough to carry. It includes 2 pliers, wire cutters, two 420HC knives (one of them is even serrated), a saw, scissors, a wood/metal file, a diamond-coated file, 2 drivers, a bottle opener, 2 double-ended bits, and more.

IT'S HARD TO TELL WHERE HE PLAGIARIZED THIS FROM SINCE THERE ARE SO MANY ON THE WEB BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM "BEST POCKET KNIFE TODAY". AT LEAST I'LL TRY TO PROVIDE SOME CREDIT.

http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/the-...ltitools-ever/
    Last edited by Rick; 12-17-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Provided source.

Well, thanks Rick......Didn't take long and takes all kinds..........
    So it would seem the Captain Obvious will have to move on to greener pastures.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have come, over many years and many knives and multi-tools, to carrying a SAK Trekker as my EDC pocket "tool". I use knife more than the other tools on it but do use most of them. I just realized a couple of months ago that that SAK model actually has a saw on it - so much for using all the tools! About the only time I carry a multi-tool any more is if I am going into the out-of-doors or working on some building project around home. For me, the multi-tool would come in second to a good fixed blade in any "survival" situation.
    Geezer Squad #2

Both. Multi tool has small blade and can't work with it as well when need a proper knife.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk