Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sr 22 ammo

Default Ruger sr 22 ammo

So long story made short ive been told 1.) they will eat any brand ammo you feed them and 2.) the action will only cycle with cci stingers? Thoughts? We just picked it up today havent had a chance to get it to the range yet

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Guess you are just gonna have to try it.
    The MKIII eats anything.....but of you believe the interweb.....Stingers will work?????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If somebody's sr22 will only cycle stingers they need to send it back. It should eat all but the worst commercial .22lr and do so reliably with anything fairly decent. Unacceptable guns surely seem to have made it off the line.

You find this story whenever a sound design meets spotty qc. those with constant problems can't understand why everybody isn't having them and those with no problems can't understand what those who have are talking about.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

And after searching; some of them may just have had this problem: http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires...-problems.html
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Thanks guys i have some federal and winchester super x im going to try with it before my son gets a turn it will be his first time shooting so obviously i want to find the most reliable ammo

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not as gung ho on Ruger products as most other people.

I have owned several Ruger products that were ammo sensitive.

I had one Ruger .22 that would not feed a hollow point of any brand.

Had a another that would only group WW SuperX inside of a paper plate and nothing else was that good.

Also had a .357 Black Hawk that was not that fantastic, but had a .45lc Blackhawk that was a fair shooter.

Depends on the gun you get.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't have the SR22, but I have had the 10/22 and it was picky as all get out on what it would eat. I have a Walther P22 for my pistol and I have a friend that has the SR22. We shoot both using any old ammo, and some of the ammo has been old, dirty, nasty, and very subpar. I have found with these two pistols is that if it doesn't eat the ammo, the problem is one of two things. It is either the ammo's fault or the pistol needs a bit of a cleaning.

Being that your pistol is new, I would clean it prior to firing to take the dirty/over-oiled for storage issues out of the equation.

Let us know how she shoots.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

And make sure the recoil spring is properly seated on the rod from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattkg View Post
    So long story made short ive been told 1.) they will eat any brand ammo you feed them and 2.) the action will only cycle with cci stingers? Thoughts? We just picked it up today havent had a chance to get it to the range yet

Mine has worked perfect with any brand/type of ammo I have put through it - no problems with the action at all.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Taking it to the range friday ill have a report then

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Do not be surprised if it shoots high. Most fixed sight Ruger auto- pistols I have dealt with do.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattkg View Post

Back in the olden days (*before interweb) one bought a new gun at the gun store.......guy would throw in a box of shells, (old lingo).....but some where along the line they turned into specific "rounds" ...(whatever)
    The world hasn't been the same since the invent of that interweb.

Now you can't buy a firearm from the factory .....that just shoot ...most any thing ...out of the box...But need a $200 trigger job, have your under cleaned with Febrezer...and only shoot on Taco Tuesdays.
    Have a MRH III and 22/45 botrh eats whatr ever I feed them...and if they didn't I would go back to Wally (at the gun store) and say "Wally.....this POS doesn't shoot the purple specials.......What Up?"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a MKIII that was picky with ammo but works with about anything now, after I had the hammer bushing replaced.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I have a MKII slabside that will shoot anything.
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others it is the ONLY thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Do not be surprised if it shoots high. Most fixed sight Ruger auto- pistols I have dealt with do.
    The SR22 in not a fixed sight, has fully adjustable sights, or at least mine does.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

My sr 22 has adjustable sights got it to the range today also brought the sr 9c both new and both shot high and to the right heading back tomorrow when i have more time to dial them in

Shot 2 kinds of winchester and 1 federal auto match through the sr 22 no problems with cycling the winchester match so far is crap 2 10 round magazines and 6 ftf no problems with the federal or regular winchester super x

You check the spring seating on the guide rod? Action maybe shouldn't be that stiff, even before break-in, though it does seem to have been designed pretty near the cusp. In either event it should get better after break-in.

I do seem to remember having some problems with Winchester while my 10-22 was new. A couple of bricks solved that. Reliability-wise I think the issues after that were attributable to aftermarket mags.

I bought my SR22 to use on the trap line and it eats everything and will even cycle subsonic ammo sometimes. Best accuracy and reliability comes from the CCI Mini Mags for mine.