Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to use my oven to dehydrate campin goof

Question Looking to use my oven to dehydrate campin goof

Hi Folks,
    I have finally decided to tackle the dehydration of my own cooked food for camping purposes. My wife and I are vegetarians, have been for 19 years, so I am looking for meatless meals. That being said, most meals can just be made without the meat, so no real problems there!

I am specifically looking for recipes to dehydrate soup and a scrambled egg type breakfast. ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Aaron A.

Quote Originally Posted by cmndraverhart View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I have finally decided to tackle the dehydration of my own cooked food for camping purposes. My wife and I are vegetarians, have been for 19 years, so I am looking for meatless meals. That being said, most meals can just be made without the meat, so no real problems there!

I am specifically looking for recipes to dehydrate soup and a scrambled egg type breakfast. ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Aaron A.
    Ok I am stumped... that's a good thing - real soup prior to dehydration and processing to make bullion starts with 10 pounds of beef bones to extract the marrow. Soups today offer little Marrow nutrition and lots of nasty salt. In fact my dad talked about taking bullion and hiked the French Alps and it delivered energy... not today/.

Begin by preparing your favorite soup. Canned soup can be dehydrated as well as homemade ones. If you are using canned soup, prepare as usual without adding additional water. If you are making a homemade soup, use less water in the recipe to yield a thicker puree consistency that will be faster and easier to dehydrate.

Review the manufacturer’s instructions for your dehydrator. Read the manual for your dehydrator model and use the appropriate trays and accessories recommended for liquids.

Add the prepared soup to the dehydrator trays. Using the appropriate trays, liners and accessories for your dehydrator, add the soup to the tray liners by spoonfuls. The soup should be dropped onto the trays in two to three inch diameter circles no more than 1/4 inches thick. The soup circles will dehydrate faster and be easier to re-hydrate at a later time.

Add the trays of soup to the dehydrator and set the temperature according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Bear in mind that the drying time will depend on the initial water content of the soup and the diameter and thickness of the soup circles loaded into the dehydrator unit.

Store the dried soup in airtight packaging until ready to use. Tightly-sealed storage containers or vaccum-sealed plastic bags work well to store the soup mix.

Re-hydrate the soup by placing the soup disk into a bowl or large cup and adding boiling water until the soup has reached the desired texture and consistency. If you chose to leave out meat or grains such as pasta or rice, add these items before rehydrating and cook the soup until the add-ins are cooked through.

Home dehydrated soups offer a selection of flavor and options that can be modified to fit various dietary restrictions, tastes and budgets.

Note: Dehydrate kills aroma therefore kills the flavor. One has to add spices and flavors prior to doing the deed. Otherwise its bland and very boring! The real test is spices and flavors that rehydrate very well and that my friend is above my pay grade.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Hey, WOO, I think he want's to use his oven and not a dehydrator.
    But good post nonetheless. I use a dehydrator myself and those are some good ideas there.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Yea I missed that - using an oven generally is too hot and cannot go low enough, and you are not moving enough air. Ovens are more suited for baking...
    Can I suggest a good start - get a Nesco! They really work and are done in 4-6 hours. Absolutely do not make the mistake of a "Ronco." Ronco is a nightmare. If you can afford better then do so. I have had the Nesco for several years - but have added a timer as to not over-dry my jerky.

NESCO
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I like to dehydrate pea soup. To me, it wouldn't taste right without a bacon end thrown in there when reconstituted, but you just boil the split peas and a chopped up onion until soft. Add other veggies if you like. You can cook it down fairly thick and spoon it into rounds. If using an oven, I'd use parchment paper to line a cookie sheet. You'll have to prop the oven door open, and if you have a small biscuit fan, that may help with the air circulation (don't put it in the oven, just on the propped open door.) Waste of energy in my opinion. Maybe look into a solar dehydrator. Plenty of instructions online for building one. You can even make one with a solar powered fan.

I have an Excaliber. Works great and has the built in timer. Having grown up with all the Ronco TV ads, you couldn't get me to buy one of those on a bet. LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I second the Nesco. I have the round one with the top heater/fan and temperature control knob. I bought an extra stack of trays to do more drying at one time.
    I too, use a timer to shut off power to the dehydrator when the drying time is reached. Looked at the Excalibers and think they looked like another good one.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Other than the difficulties of dehydrating in the oven, when cheap commercial dehydrators have been on the market for decades...

I fail to see the benefit of this process for the specified meals when commercially dehydrated soups and powered eggs have been available for over 100 years!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...wheo9kkr4_b_p2

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.j...r+soup+starter

And there is also the ubiquitous ramen blocks that are both tasty and filling and cost less than $0.15 per pack.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-21-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Gotta agree with Kyrat here....seems like a lot of work and expense for not much if any, gain.

The only thing I can possibility see is that you can control what you put into your particular mixes.
    That would be a valid reason and hope you post your experiences on this subject.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Or....if you have a garden and want to preserve your harvest....
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't like salty commercialized production jerky so I turn out my own Jerky Bacon and Top Round & Stubbs Hot. at 2 lbs packages at a 12% sodium level, I can alter the heat and smoky-ness and 2lbs costs $14.

And its a soak overnight and a 5 hour run in the machine... 1/2 an hour of my time.

I have made Turkey, Chicken, Bacon, Top Round (Shoulder meat) and done some soups and fruit leathers.

Now does that make sense?

No I would not make egg powder - hard boiled with a sea salt packet from Wendys taped to the side does well in the backpack.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

If you want to dehydrate in your oven then set it on the lowest setting (usually 250) and leave the door slightly open. Heat AND moving air are what dehydrate. Leaving the door ajar will allow air to circulate.

Just about every major brand offers vegetarian and/or vegan choices. Outdoor Herbivore caters to vegetarian menus. Finally, Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...camping%20food

i would say just buy the vegitarian soups on the shelf already at walmart there very good
    and cost much less than the freeze dry stuff.and remember what mom always said
    yuo cant make chicken soup without the SMALTZ you gotta have the SMALTZ.

Just a thought gang: for some people, the whole point is to get away from the dependency on store bought things, other people don't want the additives, while others just love to cook. My father and I used a gas oven for years to dehydrate stuff from the garden, the pilot on a gas stove by itself is usually enough heat, if your stove is that type. I agree with the others though, the dedicated dehydrator is well worth it. For one thing, you can still use your oven while you dehydrate. And the process is much better controlled... A little too hot, and you cook it, rather than dry it.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Not to worry!

It seems that the OP was a "drive by vegan". One post and no return.

If he comes back we should hold him down and feed him bacon.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-08-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Since when are eggs considered vegetarian?

They are if they come from a chicken that doesn't eat meat.

too funny....Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Well ain't that a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Not to worry!

It seems that the OP was a "drive by vegan". One post and no return.

If he comes back we should hold him down and feed him bacon.
    I think our mods are slipping on their background checks for new members. Must love Bacon is the first item on the list, isn't it?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

That's pretty much the criteria for being human.