Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol as Firestarter?

Default Alcohol as Firestarter?

Alcohol, not drinking but the 200 proof ethanol kind, any thoughts on making fire using alcohol as ignition fuel? Over the last year I have been lighting my woodstove, barbq, and fire pit. Curious if anyone has included alcohol in the bug out bag as a 6th way to make fire?

Not really. I have found myself to be pretty competent start fires without a liquid fuel source. If I really needed to, I would use my 91% rubbing alcohol that is in my FAK.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I carry hand sanitizer as part of all my kits. It saves water on clean up plus it doubles as a fire starter because of the alcohol content.

why that's 12yr,old scotch man are you mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ireland View Post
    Alcohol, not drinking but the 200 proof ethanol kind, any thoughts on making fire using alcohol as ignition fuel? Over the last year I have been lighting my woodstove, barbq, and fire pit. Curious if anyone has included alcohol in the bug out bag as a 6th way to make fire?
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....

I do carry the ethanol stove from time to time(use Heat).......but have never tried to use it as a starter.

The vapor burns above what ever it is on.....including my arm(long story)...maybe not a good "starter"?

Also evaporates easily, and a 1/4 of a sealed bottle of EverClear just disappear out of the bottle that was in the trunk of a the BIL's Corvette.
    I guess I would go for the hand sanitizer rather than the alcohol (unless it is for sippin").......and that doesn't burn well, too much water.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I personally do not carry alcohol for a fire starter. IMO there are too many better choices that (for me) seem more effective.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The sealed packets of alcohol prep pads should work well, I do know they will burn with sparks from a ferrocerium rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    The sealed packets of alcohol prep pads should work well, I do know they will burn with sparks from a ferrocerium rod.
    they will start with ferro rod I carry about 10 in my med kit and a few in my EDC bag, get some.

Just check them often. They have a tendency to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just check them often. They have a tendency to dry out.
    Really? I have some that are about five years old. Still in pretty good shape. These have packaging that is line with a thin plastic on the inside. Perhaps that is different from the ones you have?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I replace my FAK in the truck periodically. Those packets being dried out is the primary reason. Now, that FAK is in the cab of the truck. Which may be the only reason they dry out. But, they do dry out.

That's the reason I use hand sanitizer. I liked the small wipes because they were compact but a small bottle of hand sanitizer works better for me. It's been a while since I opened one of the alcohol thingies but I remember being surprised they were dry. It must have looked fine on the outside when I opened it.

Check out the "wipes" from Red Lobster......cleaning out the truck last summer....found a bag (empty of food), with a couple the big towelette, that had been in the truck since Jan 2000 (on receipt).
    Were not dry.....(not sure if those are alcohol or not, though)

hello
    The classic homemade fire starter is a wad of dryer lint placed in each empty storage department of a cardboard egg carton with melted wax, or better yet, melted paraffin wax poured over top. It’s an easy project and brings back days of making crafts in public school. The main trick, however, is to melt the wax without burning the house down or ruining your good cooking pot. Wax or paraffin wax is highly flammable so don’t just throw a cube of it in a pot and heat up up over the stove burner. To slow down the melting rate, and reduce the chance of combustion, make a double burner by having the pot with the wax in it above another pot of water. The simmering water will melt the wax at a much slower and safer rate. And you might want to use an old coffee can rather than a cooking pot to melt the wax in. Melted wax makes a real mess to clean up. If you don’t want to spend the money on paraffin then simply gather all the half-burned candles in the house (or go to a bargain store). Sawdust, shredded paper or even cut-up pieces of egg carton top work well as filler. Also, try dipping in rolled up newspaper tied with string (don’t use nylon string) or pine cones into the wax to make fire starters.

THIS POST WAS PLAGIARIZED FROM KEVIN CALLAN:
    http://www.kevincallan.com/2012/01/3.../#.VnKx9fkrKUk
    Last edited by Rick; 12-17-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Provided source

Get some chafing gel from a wholesales shop, much better than liquid alcohol as a fire starter since it wont evaporate quickly. Cheap too.

Tonyuk
    Last edited by Tony uk; 04-21-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Hey! Where have you been?! Glad to see you back.

Well its about time you showed up. The F.A.R.T.S. (fairly agile response team for our newer members) was thinking about getting around to planning a search party.....well with the naps and bacon sammiches these things take a while.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

.........And someone lost the boat, to get there....I heard that....anyway.....

I have stored 5-10 gallons of Coleman white gas and use a couple of cap full's to start my wood stove.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I like using the little fuel cubes sold for Esbit stoves. They don't dry out or spill out in your bag. They are individually wrapped. They are lightweight and cheap.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!