Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most armed counties

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You don't really think they erase those background checks and serial numbers do you?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Being that I have done work for FFL's, I can explain the process and tell you what info the NICS gets when they call it in.

1: They get the name, date of birth, and social security number of the person to insure they are checking the right person.
    2: They get the answers to all the "Yes" and "No" questions.
    3: They are told if the firearm being purchased is a long-arm, a pistol, a receiver for a long-arm, or a receiver for a pistol.

That is all that is given to the government upon a check. If you bought a long-arm then they know you bought a long-arm, but they have no idea if it was a single shot .22, an AR/AK, or anything else in between. Likewise with the pistols and receivers.

The form and all the rest of the information stays with the FFL and there are only two ways that the government gets the info.

1: The first way is if the FFL loses its license, by either forfeiting it or due to the gov't yanking it, then the FFL must turn in all forms and records. (I know one individual who quit being an FFL and he says he has been waiting for 12 years for the gov't to take the forms. He states that he contacted them a half dozen times a year for three years. After that he said screw it, if they want them then they can find them!)

2: A specific firearm(s) were recovered by gov't. They take the serial and contact the manufacturer or importer. The manufacturer/importer will tell them they transferred it to so-so distributer. The gov't will go to the distributer and tell them they transferred it to so-so dealer. The gov't will then go to the dealer and the dealer will then give them all the info on the form. From there, the gov't will contact the individual who will never still actually own the firearm and will not have any info on who they sold it to giving the gov't a dead end.

Until all that, the gov't does not have record of the make, model, and serial numbers of the guns purchased via dealers.

My thought when the knock on the door comes is "I sold them all a few years ago at a gun show when I became a liberal". Then I'll invite them in to inspect a safe with papers, heirlooms, coins, jewelry, and military items. After that, I will ask for their contact info just in case I hear of any guns hanging around.

After they leave, I will then inspect my stuff to make sure it is locked and loaded because war will be imminent if not already occurring.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

When a dealer in MA calls in a purchase, they read the serial number over the phone. May just be MA, which does have registration, although they deny it, as that would be against Federal law...
    Here we have to fill out an FA-10 form for every transfer since whenever the assault ban went into effect (94?) If you buy a long arm out of state, you have 10 days to submit an FA-10. Now it's an eFA-10 on a government server. Ya, that hasn't been hacked.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

LowKey, that may be a state thing. My write up is based on federal requirements and my state has no laws regarding this stuff so it just reverts to what BATFE wants. There are state/local laws that have other stipulations and they may have more info than my post because of this. But the federal gov't does not get anything more than what I posted.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

And the request for background information is supposed to be deleted no more then 24 hours after the request is made, which has some folks all torn up.

http://smartgunlaws.org/maintaining-...olicy-summary/

That is by legislative action and can not be overturned by Executive order.

So effectively there is no national registration process, and a gun can only be traced from manufacturer to a dealer, who must sort through their files to find who bought which serial number.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-07-2015 at 03:32 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    And the request for background information is supposed to be deleted no more then 24 hours after the request is made, which has some folks all torn up.

http://smartgunlaws.org/maintaining-...olicy-summary/

That is by legislative action and can not be overturned by Executive order.

So effectively there is no national registration process, and a gun can only be traced from manufacturer to a dealer, who must sort through their files to find who bought which serial number.
    Oh well, I'm kinda glad it makes them mad!!!!